PDA

View Full Version : Missed it - too busy reading the subtitles

PeteBoyes
9th October 2003, 08:54
Now that I have a DVD player I am able to watch some of my old martial art movies with a renewed interest.

With my old VHS I had to watch each movie a few times, the first couple were taken up with reading the subtitles and then I could watch the action.

A DVD gives me much more freedom, subtitles on/off, choice of multiple languages, etc.

I can now pickup on little quirks/nuances/in-jokes that I missed on previous viewings. Therefore, I thought I'd start a list of such things that people could add to so that we could all 'watch out for this....' next time you watch xxx.

1) Watch carefully in Enter the Dragon, that's Jackie Chan getting his hair pulled in the underground complex.

2) In Jackie Chan's Miracles, on the English dubbing, listen carefully to the names of the VIPs being announced at the party at the end, there's Mr and Mrs Ivor Biggun, and Mr and Mrs Walter WalWilton - wall-to-wall Wilton, Wilton is a carpet.

3) In Jet Li's "The One", in the final showdown each of the 2 Jets takes on a style of fighting that befits their characters - hard or soft.

Do you know of any others I should be looking out for ?