PDA

View Full Version : Shogun

Chrono
10th October 2003, 02:34
I'm right in the middle of reading James Clavell's Shogun and since it is a fictional story, I was wondering if any of you could tell me how accurate he is in describing the customs and culture during that time. Thanks.

Jon

Ben Bartlett
10th October 2003, 14:56
From what I gathered from the one time I made the horrible mistake of mentioning that book to an anthropologist, not very. It's still a fun read, though. :D

Shimura
11th October 2003, 14:09
The book "Shogun" is loosely based on fact and true events. In reality there was an Englishman who was Hatamoto to the Tokugawa, and his name was Will Adams, an English Pilot/Navigator (Anjin) on a Dutch ship that ran aground somewhere in the vicinity of Izu/Sagami area. I know for a fact that he existed, because being a big fan of "Shogun" and and having read up on the subject in other books, had to find out if it was true. It is. I actually went to where Will Adams is buried beside his Japanese wife, who was a member of the Muira family of Sagami and in an area adjacent Yokosuka Naval base known as Hemi. Hemi was part of the land grant given to Adam's by Tokugawa. The actual name of the place, should you be in Japan, is Anjinzuka or as translated to me "the Anjin's grave or gravestone". There is signs right in Anjinzuka station that advertise it and show you on a map exactly where it is, about a mile and a half up this hill and in a well kept park with a nice view of Sagami bay. There is also a book that was written, I forgot the author, called "Samurai William" that tells this story in the non-fiction light. It's excellent and well researched book that you can find in the history section of any major bookseller or I'm sure on Amazon.

Soulend
11th October 2003, 16:05
Thanks Mr. MacMullen! I didn't know there was a more factual or historical account around (historical accounts interest me far more than fiction)- have to go look for 'Samurai William'.

Chrono
12th October 2003, 02:01
Originally posted by Soulend
Thanks Mr. MacMullen! I didn't know there was a more factual or historical account around (historical accounts interest me far more than fiction)- have to go look for 'Samurai William'.

As do I.

Jon