PDA

View Full Version : My problem with Meik Skoss.

Charlie Kondek
10th October 2003, 13:23
What kind of name is Meik? Is that German, Slovakian, what? It's like "Mike" but not! I wonder if anyone ever calls him "Mike Skoss" by accident. And how is it pronounced? Meik like "make" or Meik like "Mike." If it's pronounced "Mike" but spelled "Meik," well, I give up.

:D

Thanks. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Meik Skoss
10th October 2003, 15:29
It's derived from a Dutch name and pronounced Mike. Why the spelling? My parents weren't really lysdexic or anything like that. My dad didn't like "Michael" (it sounds like a name for a hairdresser) and my mother felt "Mike" was a tad brusque (like me? hmmm...). So they went with Meik.

Hope this helps.

Charles Mahan
10th October 2003, 15:36
"No no no! It's only SPELLED Raymond Luxury Yacht. It's actually pronounced Throat Warbler Mangrove!" :D

With apologies for not being spot on word for word, to the cast of Mony Pythons Flying Circus.

kage110
10th October 2003, 16:23
What kind of name is Meik? Is that German, Slovakian, what? It's like "Mike" but not! I wonder if anyone ever calls him "Mike Skoss" by accident. And how is it pronounced? Meik like "make" or Meik like "Mike." If it's pronounced "Mike" but spelled "Meik," well, I give up.

Thanks. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Mr Mahan,

I read most of your last thread where you were going on about what you consider to be rude behaviour (or I read up to about page 7 and got bored :rolleyes: ) but I wonder if you can see why I, and possibly others too, would find your post here as a trifle rude?

Would it not have been politer to say something along the lines of:

"Dear Mr Skoss, I was wandering at the origins of your name and how you would pronounce it. Is it in any way connected the the English name 'Mike'?"

Instead you write it about Mr Skoss instead of to him, even though it is highly likely to be read by him. I would certainly have taken some offence if you had written such a comment about my name. I might not have voiced my feelings but I would have still felt them.

It seems that Mr Skoss didn't take offence at the tone of your question and answered you very civily, to which you replied:

"No no no! It's only SPELLED Raymond Luxury Yacht. It's actually pronounced Throat Warbler Mangrove!"

With apologies for not being spot on word for word, to the cast of Mony Pythons Flying Circus.

Your tone here suggests that any pronounciation or spelling other than that found in the English language (and I would guess in your own Texan dialect) is somehow amusing. I do hope the e-budoka who are not from Texas are not so easily offended as you seem to be...

Pot and kettle anyone?

Respectfully,

Charlie Kondek
10th October 2003, 16:24
Mmm, feel the love in this thread!

:p

Thanks, Meik, for clearing that up!

Charles Mahan
10th October 2003, 16:30
Hugh. Umm... Please read the first post again. I think you've made a mistake regarding the author. Pretty sure that Charlie Kondek was being entertaining at worst. The Monty Python sketch I've always considered amusing when discussing what seem like odd pronounciations. It was added in order to lighten the tone of recent postings. Now I can see how if you thought the first post was written by me, you might find the second offensive, but that's simply not the case.

There is no need to grill me for things I haven't done. I've made plenty of mistakes. You can grill me for those.

Charlie Kondek
10th October 2003, 16:34
Yeah, Hugh. Two Charles' here, man. Your zanshin's a little off.

Edit: By the way, what kind of a name is "Hugh." Is it pronounced like "hue and cry" or like "hug" or does it have some weird Celtic thing going on. I'm confused. Why can't everyone just be called "Charles" or "Charlie." Bah! It's like "Ralph" being called "Rafe."

:beer:

Chidokan
10th October 2003, 16:49
should see the variations for Hugh in Scotland, as in the poster's name! I'm sure he can list all the derivatives, he'll have been sickened by them all by now!:D

Tim (short for "how incompetent can you get with a sword") Hamilton

Charles Mahan
10th October 2003, 16:54
Originally posted by Charlie Kondek
Why can't everyone just be called "Charles" or "Charlie." Bah! It's like "Ralph" being called "Rafe."

:beer: [/B]

In keeping with the poorly paraphrased Monty Python theme, "Ralph? I'm Bruce. This here is Bruce. That guy in the Corner is Bruce. She is also Bruce. Mind if we call you Bruce to avoid confusion?" :D :D

Jack B
10th October 2003, 17:25
Tim (short for "how incompetent can you get with a sword") Hamilton
Didn't we just pass an Enchanter by that name a few miles back?

kage110
10th October 2003, 17:56
[embarrassed]

Mr Mahan, Charles, if I may,

I do sincerely beg your pardon. Please allow me to take both feet out of my mouth and I will proceed to kiss yours from now until next Wednesday!

:redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

As to how you pronounce my name...just like 'hue and cry'. The other spelling variation I am aware of is the Welsh 'Huw' (we have one of those on e-budo too) and the name appears in other languages as 'Hugo'.

In Gaelic, the Celtic language of Scotland, my name would be written Uisdean Uallas (pronounced 'OOSH jun WAL lus') with 'Uallas' meaning foreigner (I believe the Wallaces were originally from the area now called Wales and therefore foreigners to the area now called Scotland).

Charles,

My abject apologies again. I will sneak away now and write 1000 times before bed, 'I must read all posts carefully before replying'.

[embarrassed not yet switched off...]

:smilejapa

Charles Mahan
10th October 2003, 17:59
Eh don't worry about it. Many would say that I deserved the reaming out for something else anyway.

Charlie Kondek
10th October 2003, 18:23
I'm laughing. Well, snickering. Snickering Out Loud, SOL! Maybe it's more of a giggle. A guffaw.

Just funnin' ya.

Scott Irey
10th October 2003, 18:42
It's pronounced "MIKE"? I thought it was "MEEK" Boy do I feel silly.... ;)

Mark A. Carter
10th October 2003, 18:44
I am surpised no one has suggested a t-shirt saying something along the lines of, 'Like Meik'. :p

Chidokan
10th October 2003, 21:59
Hugh,
how come you can get Shuggie as a nickname? I never really followed that one....:confused:

Tim 'Enchanter' Hamilton

kage110
13th October 2003, 12:43
Tim,

I guess it is Glasgow 'logic' of some kind but I am bu****ed if I know!:D

Mountain Wizard
16th October 2003, 06:20
When I first read the title of this thread, "My problem with Meik Skoss", I thought it was gonna be good; maybe something about Meik wearing black panties and a garter belt under his hakama, or something about him really being Ashida Kim's sensei :D
But all you had was bashing his weird-a** spelling of Myke? :D
That's just dumb!

Seriously though, Myke, er, Miike, um, Meik is the bomb!-even if he is wearing panties under his hakama!

Alex (probably gonna be killed by Meik for posting this) Kent:(

Steve Delaney
16th October 2003, 08:13
:rolleyes:

Charlie Kondek
16th October 2003, 13:59
Originally posted by Mountain Wizard
When I first read the title of this thread, "My problem with Meik Skoss", I thought it was gonna be good; maybe something about Meik wearing black panties and a garter belt under his hakama, or something about him really being Ashida Kim's sensei :D
But all you had was bashing his weird-a** spelling of Myke? :D
That's just dumb!

Seriously though, Myke, er, Miike, um, Meik is the bomb!-even if he is wearing panties under his hakama!

Alex (probably gonna be killed by Meik for posting this) Kent:(

Haha! This grew out of the tension in the "comments from jo forum" thread, and my (as usual) oddball attempt to inject some humor into the procedings. You know what the beatitude, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they can truly be called a child of God." But I think one might retort in this situation, "Bah, the MEIK shall inherit the earth..."

Badump-dump, tsss!

fifthchamber
16th October 2003, 14:12
Hi Charlie...

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they can truly be called a child of God." But I think one might retort in this situation, "Bah, the MEIK shall inherit the earth..."

.....And I could'nt even SEE that one coming!!...Great!...New name for you Mr. Kondek sir...."Verbal"....I WAS gonna give it to Tony....But that little play on words deserves a mention I think...
Regards....

Doug Stryker
16th October 2003, 14:36
LMAO! Any time you get sword people together, soon or later you'll hear a Monty Python reference thrown in there. This sickness is WAY deeper than we think... ;)

Regards,
Doug

Cady Goldfield
16th October 2003, 14:57
I empathize with Meik, since my name has been butchered by people who have never heard of "Hooked on Phonics." Somehow, such folks think that I'm named after the guys who carry golf clubs.

Cady (as in "lady")

Charlie Kondek
16th October 2003, 15:48
But everyone knows you're once, twice, hell, three times a Cady!

Warmly,

Verbal

:D

L-Fitzgerald
17th October 2003, 13:06
I can't take any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Andy Watson
21st October 2003, 11:16
...I also remember an issue of Kendo Jidai which had Skoss written in katakana as "Sukas".

Come on Meik, is it Skoss or Skass?

Meik Skoss
21st October 2003, 11:29
It's Skoss, pronounced like "moss." It's a name that was created when my grandfather came to the U.S. as an immigrant. You, however, Andy, have a FINE family name. Any relation to the brewing company? If not, why not?! (I can just see the parties now.)

Andy Watson
21st October 2003, 11:34
BREWING COMPANY????

No wonder my father's been so secretive and won't involve me with the family business!!!

And no wonder my mother has a big red spotty nose!!!

No, unfortunately there is no brewing connection in my immediate family unless you count pissing up against the wall. Nevertheless, if you are ever over in the crown of the empire rest assured you will be invited for a drink.

BTW, did you know that Loi Lee has now moved over to Oz?

Meik Skoss
21st October 2003, 11:49
No, I didn't know that. What's happened to the Yawara Centre? Are you and the other seniors carrying on in the same premises? And we will *definitely* take you up on that invite.

A senior in Yagyu Shinkage-ryu used to go to England regularly for work and told me his favorite thing to do was travel to as many pubs as possible for their pub lunch. I've heard some horror stories about English cooking, but I know the beer's great. So's the scrumpy. (My wife and I really like genuine Guiness and Theakston's Old Peculier.)

Anyway, I think a British Pub Crawl and Budo Bash'd be an excellent sort of group tour. It wouldn't even have to be the same budo: we can use e-Budo (and p'raps other lists/BBs) to contact people/arrange for training and draft (you should pardon the expression) guides to local pubs and other oases.

Andy Watson
21st October 2003, 12:27
...is the new name of the dojo.

Only joking.

The dojo building has been sold to a developer who has let the various martial arts schools function there for another 6 months or so before the whole place is developed into a......not sure yet.

Vito and Linda Tattoli are continuing to teach iaido, jodo and kendo but are looking for new accomodation and will start their own dojo.

Essentially this is the end of the Yawara Centre and Jugokan which is very unfortunate as it was the only purpose built dojo in the BKA. It is also the only place where one can train with people who know all of the MSR jo koryu syllabus (I am in Chris Mansfield's dojo and so am a frequent visitor to the Yawara Centre rather than a member).

English food, English food
Forever a topic of conversation

Yes is has been pretty dire in past years but that's because Englishi food is so time-critical to prepare and thus isn't suited to restaurants much. However in the last 3 or 4 years, more and more English restaurants and hotels have taken to employing highly skilled chefs to deliver that most holy of grails...the well prepared English lunch, dinner or breakfast and nowadays if you are willing to pay the price you can eat good English food in many places across the country especially in the styx.

Beer is best sampled outside of London. I recently have been supping it in the Cotswalds and the Lake District and London beers don't come anywhere near them. Just writing about them makes me thirsty. Oh how I yearn for a pint of Minety Badgers Bollock.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to attend any of the organised E-Budo London bashes in the past due to other commitments but am always interested in E-Budo pub crawls etc.

Let me know if you have any plan to visit the motherlands, Meik.

Best regards

Ron Tisdale
21st October 2003, 16:10
Whats that? they brew a drink from a mint eating badger's bollocks?

RT :)

Andy Watson
22nd October 2003, 06:48
:laugh:

Very good, that lightened up my morning.

No, Minety is a village in the Cotswalds and the badger bollock thing is a reflection that a disturbingly high amount of local English beers are given names like Ferret Leg or Sheeps Ear.

Very queer, but they taste like an angel...er massaging your tonsils.

Ron Tisdale
22nd October 2003, 13:09
Like that Ferret's leg...used to own a couple of those carpet sharks myself....

Ron