PDA

View Full Version : Batto

shotofan
13th October 2003, 19:22
Sorry if this question is stupid? I just don't the defferance.

What is the differance between Batto, No Batto and Hi Batto?
Sorry if this has been asked before. can't find any thread on this..

shotofan
14th October 2003, 00:28
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. When I was in the sword store, they had this names on the different kinds of sword you could speical order.

Soulend
14th October 2003, 00:38
'Batto' is another name for 'Iai', so I assume these were iaito? "Hi" is a groove or fuller in the blade (sometimes erroneously referred to as a "blood groove"). Dunno what 'No batto' is. Maybe you can't do batto with that one :)

Sorry..probably not much help..

Brian Owens
14th October 2003, 03:42
Originally posted by shotofan
What is the differance between Batto, No Batto and Hi Batto?...

...When I was in the sword store, they had this names on the different kinds of sword you could speical order.

The names aren't familiar to me as "kinds of swords." Was this in an actual store, or on a web site? If it was a web site leave the link (or PM me) and I'll take a look.

shotofan
14th October 2003, 06:10
he web site. When you first enter the site choose Japanese swords. After that they give you the price choice of prices and give who a little pice on the left side which shows what you get to pick at that price. That is the best I can explain. I hope that helps?

Brian Owens
14th October 2003, 07:49
Well, the name of the site you're referring to didn't come through on your post. It looks like part of your post is missing.

But I suspect that the site was saying something to the effect that you could order a sword with a "hi" (a groove, pronounced "hee") for batto/iai, or without a hi for tameshigiri (cutting practice). "Hi" are also called "bo hi" (bow hee).

A bo hi is good for batto/iai training, because if your blade angle is correct during a cut you'll get a nice whooshing sound, and if your angle is bad you'll get silence or a dull swish at best.

You can do actual cutting with a blade that has bo hi, but some people prefer one without because the blade has more weight forward which helps with follow-through. Also, cutting a hi adds to the cost of a blade.

If you can afford it, I'd get one with bo hi, but you should ask your sensei, because there may be specific reasons for one or the other in what he/she is trying to teach you.

I hope that answers your question.

shotofan
14th October 2003, 18:56
Cool, thank you. he site is Swordstore.com. he sword isn't for me, it is for my brother. I thought about asking his sensei, but if word got out it would travel to him quickly. So i am tring to do it this way first. If it doesn't work I guess I will have to ask his sensei.

:) :toast:

pgsmith
14th October 2003, 23:27
Hi Aaron,

I thought about asking his sensei, but if word got out it would travel to him quickly. So i am tring to do it this way first.
Ask his sensei anyway. It shouldn't be too hard to get his contact information to talk with him when your brother isn't around. If you tell him that it is going to be a surprise, no one else will know. The reason you should is because different schools have different ideas on what they prefer students to use. The method for measuring proper sword length can vary greatly. If you get what Swordstore says is the proper blade, and it turns out to be 2 inches too long for his school's practice, it would be somewhat of a disappointment for you both. His sensei could also tell you whether a sword with hi is more appropriate or not.

Good luck!

hyaku
14th October 2003, 23:29
Sorry if this question is stupid? I just don't the defferance.

What is the differance between Batto, No Batto and Hi Batto?
Sorry if this has been asked before. can't find any thread on this..

No Batto? Maybe they are selling pigeons!

Hyakutake Colin

shotofan
14th October 2003, 23:38
Thank you very much Pgsmith. I will do that. I want to make sure he gets the best sword as possible. He just passed is Sandan. He failed last time. But he made up for it this time. I know he is tired of the old one. He has been wanting a new one for a couple of years.

ghp
15th October 2003, 00:15
Shotofan,
Swordstore.com Swordstore.com is a highly respectable company and I've used their excellent swords for many years. You might have misunderstood something on the site, or perhaps mistyped something as you were explaining it to us. I know the owner (Rick Polland) to be a highly skilled teacher of Shindo Muso Ryu, Muso Shinden Ryu, etc. and a gentleman businessman.

As another forum member stated, the "hi" means groove. The "No Batto" you mention is probably "batto yo" meaning "for batto" [however, he usually describes the swords as "kata yo" [kata use] or "tameshigiri yo" [cutting use].

Colin -- isn't "hatto" pigeon? You need more sleep, my friend. :D

Cheers,
Guy

MaikeruRogers
15th October 2003, 00:22
Dear Shotofan:

I think giving your brother a new Iaito is a wonderful idea.

Before picking out a new Iaito for your brother, I think you should consider a couple of things.

An Iaito, in my opinion, is a personal preference weapon. By that, I mean the best Iaito for me is maybe not the best iaito for you or your brother or the next guy. This is what I mean.

The first and most basic dimension of the Iaito is its length. You really need to try to find out the length your brother prefers for an Iaito. Usually this is measured in the old Japanese way, shaku--which are a bout a foot in length--and sun--and bu. Anyway, a standard size of Iaito is around 2shaku 4.5sun--this length is often too short for average height of westerners.

Second,there is the basic idea of the weight. The blade of an Iaito range in weight from maybe 800g to 1000g or even a bit over that. Again this is personal preference, but many people these days are going for the lighter blades to cope with or avoid repetitive stress problems in elbows and wrists.

Third, is the length of the handle. Some people like them rather short and some like them rather long, westerners with big hands need proportionately longer handles or they won't be able to comfortably hold the sword.

Next, you have the design and shape of the blade, with or without groove, shape of the sword tip, amount of curve of the sword etc. These days there are more and more choices available for the Iaito as its poplularity spreads and increases, I think.

Next, you need to decide on the general design of the sword furniture, everything beside the metal blade. These usually copy famous styles from Japanese history.

Beyond that, there is the choice of the color of the saya, the handle wrapping--cotton, silk or leather and its color, the design of the tsuba and handle ornaments, etc.

Well, anyway, at least at the high end of the Iaito price list you have a LOT of choice in the design of an Iaito. At the bottom end you get what they give you and no choices.

Hope this gives you some ideas about picking the perfect Iaito for your brother. I think the length is the most important thing, next the weight, and the handle length, okay? After that it is all just decoration, actually.

Regards

Michael Rogers

Brian Owens
15th October 2003, 03:07
I want to make sure he gets the best sword as possible...I know he is tired of the old one. He has been wanting a new one for a couple of years.

Here's an idea: talk to him about swords in general, and his old one in particular. Find out what he likes about it, and what he doesn't like about it. What would be his idea of the perfect sword? Etc. Etc.

You don't have to spoil the surprise by telling him why you're asking. Just pass it off as part of your interest in martial arts, and wanting to learn more about his art.

SwordStore.com is where I'm getting my next iaito--a Christmas present to myself after I make my last car payment next month. I've had a number of members here on e-Budo.com tell me that they are a good company with good products and service. Because I'm rather tall, the ability to have a custom made sword fitted to my exact specifications is a major selling point.

What art is your brother a sandan in? He might enjoy the discussions here on e-Budo as well as you do (but don't tell him about us until after you give him his new sword. If he reads about it here, there'll be no surprise! :))

shotofan
16th October 2003, 22:50
Good advice Kenshi. I will tell him about E-Budo. I can't remember the name of his style. When I see I will ask him.

hyaku
16th October 2003, 23:50
Originally posted by ghp

Colin -- isn't "hatto" pigeon? You need more sleep, my friend. :D

Cheers,
Guy

Hello Guy

Down in the sticks where I am No and hatto put together is No batto, (like hashi/bashi).

Not that you see many. Damn place is over-run with Magpies. The local Lord brought them back as the noise they made sound like win, win "Kachi, Kachi"

Hyakutake Colin

Chidokan
18th October 2003, 17:22
no batto is for fish... like " can I have fish and chips, no batto":D

Tim Hamilton

ghp
19th October 2003, 17:55
Tim ... Hehehehehehe. Tha's good, mate. Hey, I hear that fish & chips no longer are wrapped in newspaper; the taste now is so different that the chippies are going out of business. Seems the printer's ink gave added flavo(u)r to the meal.

Heard of a Glaswegian who used to wrap a brick in newspaper -- looked like he was carrying his dinner around. When a barney would start, he'd gob the fellah with his "dinner."

Tell me that's a true story and not just an urban myth!!

Cheers,
Guy

Chidokan
20th October 2003, 16:15
got it wrong, chippies are going out of business as there's no cod left!
The brick thing is from a comedy series, Rab C Nesbitt..I'm sure based on fact. My friends kids ask their father to translate what is said, as he's from Glasgow and they think its a foreign language!!!:D
certainly not English anyway... :D ;)

Tim Hamilton

ghp
20th October 2003, 19:01
My friends kids ask their father to translate what is said, as he's from Glasgow and they think its a foreign language!!!

I've only two words for you: Billy Connolly

All my friends were killin' themselves laughin .... and I couldn't understand a single word! :(

"Weegie" IS a foreign language!

--Guy

Chidokan
21st October 2003, 17:49
I dont have a problem with him, my mother's from Glasgow. What I do notice is that as my Glaswegian mates get more drunk, they try and outdo each other as to how unintelligible they can sound...
Rab C Nesbitt is a lot harder to decipher than Billie. I challenge you to get a video and understand more than 3 lines of script.:D :D

Tim Hamilton

ghp
21st October 2003, 21:08
Hi Tim,
I challenge you to get a video and understand more than 3 lines of script. How the heck can I co that if I can't even understand Billy Connoliy??

Let's see ... how did it go?? "If it wasnae fae yur wellies whar would ye be ... ye'd be in hospital or th' infirrrum-a-ree ...."

Wellie Boot Song
[to the tune of "The Work of the Weavers]

If it wasn't for your wellies where would you be
You'd be in the hospital or infirmary
'Cause you would have a dose of the flu or even pleurisy
If you didn't have your feet in your wellies

Oh wellies they are wonderful, oh wellies they are swell
'Cause they keep out the water and they keep in the smell
And when you're sitting in a room you can always tell
When some bugger takes off his wellies

Oh and when you're out walking in the country with a bird
And you're strolling over fields just like a farmer's herd
And somebody shouts, "Keep off the grass" and you think how absurd
and SQUELCH you find why farmers all wear wellies

There's fishermen and firemen, there's farmers and all
Men out digging ditches and working in the snow
This country it would grind to a halt and not a thing would grow
If it wasn't for the workers in their wellies

If you didn't have you're feet in your wellies

Oh Edward, Heath and Wilson they haven't made a hit
So you'd better get your feet in your wellies

If you didn't have you're feet in your wellies

Cheers,
Guy

Earl Hartman
21st October 2003, 21:36
Ohhhh...."wellies".

I tought he was singing "Where would you be without your willies".

Up sh*t creek without a paddle is where you'd be without your willie, mate.

:D

ghp
21st October 2003, 22:20
Earl, you crack me up! :D for those who do not know, wellies [wellingtons] are rubber boots worn by workers and gentlemen (especially Barbour brand!!).
http://barbour.tslsport.co.uk/data/imagery_productmen/F804.gif
In the Highlands & Islands it was popular to turn the first few inches down -- and you had to buy two sizes larger so your wool socks wouldn't make the fit too tight.

Guy

ghp
21st October 2003, 22:26
Me and Lord Macdonald, summer 1978. If you can't see the castle, it's raining; if you can see the castle, it's about to rain.

Note the stylishly turned-down cuff on my wellies ..... :D

Chidokan
31st October 2003, 19:50
all Scotsmen are related to lords somewhere in their background...hmmm.. my name's Hamilton...related to King of Scotland... bow down before me you plebs!!:D Flay that Englishman and pass me his skin (oops wrong character):D

BTW it just looks like some bloke you met in a pub...photo taken outside said pub...ah these gullible foreigners fall for it every time...

Lord (related possibly to the king of scotland in exile) Hamilton

ghp
2nd November 2003, 16:25
ah these gullible foreigners fall for it every time... ...But I was dipping his sheep, making hay, and .... drinking in the plub. Errrr .... mebby's that's *not* the Rt. Hon. Godfrey James Macdonald of Macdonald. Damn! And I was buying for him all night long (nights in Skye begin around 1:00 pm).

Ha! I was suspicious. He wasn't wearing a kilt or carrying a cromach. AND .... he had an Etonian accent and drove a Citroen!! .... Shoulda known. Any decent Chief of the Name and Arms would be driving a Land Rover or estate wagon. How could I not see those clues when they were right under my nose! Damn!

Rats. My entire world has come crashing down.
Guy :(

Chidokan
2nd November 2003, 19:00
at least you now know a possible relation to the scottish king in exile.... and I think Hyaku's got a royal connection somewhere as well....Hyaku???

hyaku
2nd November 2003, 22:46
Used to work for the royals.

Few weeks at Buck house and a few years on and off at Lady Carolines place.

Hyakutake Colin

Chidokan
3rd November 2003, 17:08
on and off who? ;) ;) nudge nudge say no more!

ScottUK
3rd November 2003, 17:28
Originally posted by ghp
...But I was dipping his sheep...Nuff said... A Scotsman all right! :D