PDA

View Full Version : Any Swedish Kenshi reading?

David Dunn
14th October 2003, 11:32
Can someone translate the Swedish translations of the Japanese on the Budo Kensho page of the Swedish Shorinji Kempo homepages? The link is here (http://www.shorinji-kempo.org/articles/budo_kensho_e.html) . It's the words in brackets after 'mokuteki' and so on.

Many thanks in advance.

The Dude
14th October 2003, 13:16
Perhaps Anders Sensei should be the one to translate but it was easy so here it is;

Mokuteki (ändamål) - Purpose
Keiko (träning) - Practice
Shiai (tävling) - Competition
Dojo (träningshall) - Dojo
Shido (undervisning) - Teaching
Fukyu (främjandet) - Promoting

See you all in Versailles!

David Dunn
14th October 2003, 13:34
Thank you Johan. See you on Friday.

aran
14th October 2003, 20:25
Originally posted by The Dude

Mokuteki (ändamål) - Purpose
Keiko (träning) - Practice
Shiai (tävling) - Competition
Dojo (träningshall) - Dojo
Shido (undervisning) - Teaching
Fukyu (främjandet) - Promoting

These English words are all good (and are confirmed on a number of other web sites), but a couple of them carry a minor risk of being interpreted in ways not included in the Japanese.

Probably needless detail, but for what it's worth:

Shiai is "competition" only in the sense of an organised event; not everyday rivalry (but the description in the text makes that pretty obvious anyway).

Shido is literally "guidance". "Teaching" could mean handing students something on a plate - whereas, as far as I can see, shido emphasises that you point them in an appropriate direction and oversee their progress. The students still have to move themselves along the path.

Fukyu basically means "dissemination", or just "spread" - without the mildly salesman-like nuance that "promoting" has.

May or may not help :)

--
Aran Lunzer
pedant to the gentry

David Dunn
14th October 2003, 23:07
Thanks Aran. I should've realised I could have asked a Japanese speaker as well as a Swedish one. Just goes to prove that words don't always translate into single words :)

Anders Pettersson
15th October 2003, 09:06
:o

I can not believe that I missed to change those words from Swedish to English when making the translation.

I will fix this as soon as possible.

I also can't figure out why no one ever mentioned it to me bofore?? :confused:

/Anders