PDA

View Full Version : Mat soaking

Knightsteel
14th October 2003, 12:58
I am looking for a way to decrease the stench from soaking mats for tameshigiri. Has anyone tried Clorox? How about anti-baterial soap?

Daniel

R A Sosnowski
14th October 2003, 13:34
Daniel,

Originally posted by Knightsteel
I am looking for a way to decrease the stench from soaking mats for tameshigiri. Has anyone tried Clorox? How about anti-baterial soap?

I would be inclined to use baking soda - it is commonly used on wet carpets in basements as well as in refrigerators for that purpose.

I have not had the opportunity to try it myself yet. Soon enough though.

pgsmith
14th October 2003, 15:05
The easiest way to eliminate the smell from mat soaking, is to change mats. If you use the new mats from Mugen Dachi www.tameshigiri.com they only need to be soaked overnight. I have actually cut with them after only soaking five hours. They are quite new and somewhat green, so they soak up water faster than used tatami. In the shortened amount of soaking time, the water doesn't have an opportunity to get nasty. It actually smells like ice tea. :) If you already have a supply of used mats, I would advise that you do as Ray said and put baking soda in the water. Bleach would be extremely caustic to your blade.

Cheers,

Knightsteel
14th October 2003, 16:23
I typically use the Bugei Wara mats. The problem has been that I do demonstrations every hour over the course of a full weekend. I start the soak on Friday afternoon or evening. In hot weather even changing the water doesn't help much by Sunday morning. It stinks up the whole area.

I'll try the baking soda!

Daniel
http://www.angelsword.com/General%20Assets/six_tatami_cut_large.html

pgsmith
14th October 2003, 16:42
Yeah, the Bugei wara does tend to sour pretty fast. They are much easier to cut though and so work pretty well for public demos. Good luck with the baking soda, let us know if it helps. :)

Brian Owens
15th October 2003, 08:29
If baking soda doesn't work, I don't think a dilute bleach/water solution would harm your blade, especially if you wipe and oil it regularly during the course of your event.

Use the directions on the bleach bottle for making a kitchen sanitizing solution; these days different brands of bleach have different concentrations, so a rule of thumb might not be applicable.

glad2bhere
15th October 2003, 12:56
Somebody mentioned that the Bugei TC mats were easier to cut. Have most people found any other differences? I think I am asking after uniformity of construction or performance here across providers. I would like to expand my cutting into mats but want to get a sense for any subtle variances I might run into in purchasing from different sources. Comments anyone?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

pgsmith
15th October 2003, 13:37
Hi Bruce,
If you can wait until next month, I should have an article in EJMAS that is just what you are looking for. I have finally made the time to (almost) get it completed. It takes a side by side comparison of the various different mats currently available for tameshigiri. If you've not encountered the Electronic Journal of Martial Arts and Sciences in your internet wanderings, you should check it out. They have a lot of good stuff that's worth the read. www.ejmas.com

Cheers,

glad2bhere
15th October 2003, 16:31
Dear Paul:

Many thanks for the tip. What you describe sounds exactly what I was looking for. I know there will be SOME variance, but when someone mentioned that Bugeis' mats were easier to cut.... well my ears perked up. In a commertial world its a safe bet that materials, dimensions, density and quality of workmanship will vary and generally relate to the cost of the item. No problem there. However in attempting to produce a consistent behavior on my part it helps to know that I am consistently testing my skills. I'll be very glad to read your research. I take it that it is solely on mat material or is it a comparative study of different cutting materials?

BTW: Joe Svinth is one of my all-time favorite people, and I am hoping to give him some (welcome?) help with the Korean parts of his timeline. :-)

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Knightsteel
15th October 2003, 20:50
Do you also have data on different soak times and drying times?

I have felt that with a slightly longer soak that the tameshigiri.com mats were easier to cut, while the Bugei seemed to be more stable over variable lengths of soak time.

Daniel