PDA

View Full Version : Sumo on ESPN?

IronFan1
16th October 2003, 10:21
Hello,

I know there is a fifteen day sumo event in Japan once a year and they show all the highlights on ESPN. Does anyone know when this is on?

Thanks, Tom Thornton

Mitch Saret
16th October 2003, 21:42
At least that's been my experience. I have seen it on both ESPN and ESPN2, usually late at night. The also try and giv ethe highlights of the full 15 days in an hour. You don't get all the good stuff in my opinion. And I thought there was 4 basho per year.

Fortunately, one of my students is a japanese exchange students. She has her dad tape the basho on vhs and send it, so I get the whole basho, the referee's calls, the psyche out, the opening parade when you see the sumotori's aprons, the champion's ceremony...all that. And all in japanese so it's helping me learn some language. The only way to watch sumo!

R A Sosnowski
17th October 2003, 14:49
Originally posted by IronFan1
Hello,

I know there is a fifteen day sumo event in Japan once a year and they show all the highlights on ESPN. Does anyone know when this is on?

Thanks, Tom Thornton

FYI, there are six (6) hon-basho (official tournaments) per year in Ozumo (pro. sumo). ESPN sometimes fills in its broadcast time with highlights, but they are generally weeks, if not months, late.

There are a couple of lists on the web where this info. get posted. Send e-mail to <sumo@statgen.ncsu.edu> for directions on how to get onto one of the lists. I often see subscribers post information on various broadcast events. as they become known.

HTH.