PDA

View Full Version : Spirit

drkev
18th October 2003, 23:59
Does anybody know the japanese word for "Spirit" by this I don't mean the alcoholic kind!!!

I mean spirit as in inner spirit.

I would be most grateful if anyone could help me.

Many thanks

samuel-t
19th October 2003, 09:41
Hi.

There are lots and lots of synonyms for spirit (as with most Japanese words, or so I've come to understand). I did a search on Jeffrey's Japanese<->English Dictionary Server and recommend you check it out:

http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/nocolor/dosearch?sDict=on&H=PS&L=E&T=spirit&WC=none&fg=w&S=26

/Samuel

Marc Renouf
20th October 2003, 19:06
You'll note that many of the words listed there use the term "shin" or "kokoro," which are different pronunciations of the same kanji (but be warned, the kanji for "kami" can also be pronounced "shin," and has the connotation of spirit as in ghost or god or apparition). This is probably the term you're after at it simplest, you just need to figure out what kind of spirit you're looking for and modify the term appropriately.

drkev
21st October 2003, 22:34
I have chosen Samuraikatagi as according to the list this is the term for Spirit of the Samurai.

Earl Hartman
22nd October 2003, 00:07
Kevin:

When you say you have chosen "samuraikatagi", what do you mean? Chosen it for what?

Just so you know, this is not a particlarly commonly used term to describe "the spirit of the samurai" (whatever that might be). The term "katagi" means temperament or frame of mind. It is written with the characters meaning "quality of energy"; these two characters can also be pronounced "kishitsu", meaning disposition or temperament. So, "samuraikatagi" would mean someone who has the cast of mind, disposition, or temperament of a samurai. Somehow, I don't think this is what you are looking for.

My guess is you're looking for something more along the lines of "bushi no seishin", or "Warrior Spirit".

Brian Owens
30th October 2003, 09:59
Originally posted by Earl Hartman
...So, "samuraikatagi" would mean someone who has the cast of mind, disposition, or temperament of a samurai. Somehow, I don't think this is what you are looking for.

My guess is you're looking for something more along the lines of "bushi no seishin", or "Warrior Spirit".

Mr. Hartman, et al:

I've noticed over the years that what is often written as "samurai" in movie subtitles, etc. was spoken or written "bushi" in Japanese.

Although the term samurai is more familiar to most Westerners, we also are familiar with the term Bushido, thanks to Nitobe and others.

And it is "Bushido" we talk about when discussing the code of chivalry in Japan, not "Samuraido."

As I understand it, "samurai" refers to members of a historical social/political caste during a particular period of Japanese history. "Bushi" means warrior.

Not all bushi were samurai, and not all samurai were bushi.

Is that about right? Any corrections/amplifications you can offer me?

Thanks,

P Goldsbury
30th October 2003, 11:46
As Mr Hartmann has suggested, katagi really means something like temperament and is not particularly complimentary. Thus 'Edokko katagi' denotes the temperament of someone born in Edo (Tokugawa-era name for Tokyo): thought to be quarrelsome and overly concerned with style. Just up the road from Edo was Mito, an important centre of learning during the Edo era, but the temperament of those born in Mito was 'Mito kishitsu' (equally stubborn, but very suspicious of dandified ways, like those of the city-dwellers in Edo).

The special temperament (katagi/kishitsu) given to someone by their 'kuni' (the old administrative divisions of Japan which first appeared in the ritsuryo system) is a belief as cherished here as the belief in the special qualities given by one's blood type. Even now, my students delight in comparing the temperament of their friends to their 'kuni' and blood type, and also their Chinese birth sign.

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

Best regards,

drkev
30th October 2003, 14:05
Many thanks for your replies. This misunderstanding has certainly been cleared up for me. I am attempting to learn Japanese under the IWLP programme at University and I am finding it difficult.

Many thanks for your help