PDA

View Full Version : Modern Jesus

Kimpatsu
21st October 2003, 07:00
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. And if any man hear my voice, and fail to open the door, I’m a comin’ in anyway. Were goin’ to have some freedom here. Make no mistake about it!"

n2shotokai
21st October 2003, 15:15
What was the message from the original painting and what does this have to do with budo? You are obsessed dude.

Rogier
21st October 2003, 17:31
Originally posted by n2shotokai
What was the message from the original painting and what does this have to do with budo? You are obsessed dude.

well it does have to do with self defence... beware of long haired hippies who come knocking on your door at night... they might be armed...

btw... how long did it take you to figure out Tony is obsessed??

Kimpatsu
21st October 2003, 23:55
I'm not obsessed, I'm possessed. :D
It has nothing to do with budo; that's why it's in the Members' Lounge.
What's the matter, Steve? Don't like me taking the piss out of your hero?

n2shotokai
22nd October 2003, 02:20
My mistake, it's says "Budo Fun" and I got confused. Silly me!

Juan Perez
22nd October 2003, 05:33
I really don't know what to say.

Honestly, I didn't believe that there was anything written on this forum that would leave me appalled. I have always respected a person's right to maintain whatever belief system that they wished. I have always, in my speech, or writing, kept a respect for these things. But, somehow, looking at this ... I don't know, but, I'm strongly appalled by it. I will not go on to insult the author, but ... as of today, as of right now, I'm done with E-budo. It was a great place to visit for a long time (over nearly three years). I'll monitor my PMs for three days just in case any of you wants to maintain contact via e-mail.

Take care all.

StanLee
22nd October 2003, 13:45
Bye bye then cry baby:D :cry:

Bushi Jon
22nd October 2003, 16:52
No body stand next to the artist of that picture he could explode

n2shotokai
22nd October 2003, 17:00
I have seen several versions of that painting from somewhere near Germany, Spain etc. etc. and there is one in the Narthex to the church I attend. In the original, Jesus is standing at the door waiting. He is waiting because there is no doorknob on his side. The person inside the house has the only doorknob, meaning it is up to individuals to open themselves up to a relationship with God. There are also vines growing on the hinges indicating the door has not been opened yet.

I don't believe God would strike someone down for silliness. Still, I do appreciate the geographic seperation just in case ;)

bruceb
22nd October 2003, 17:08
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. And if any man hear my voice, and fail to open the door, I’m a comin’ in anyway. Were goin’ to have some freedom here. Make no mistake about it!"

Picture of Jesus with a handgun and assault rifle eh?

Usama bin Jesus?

Oh well ... back to the old Marine strategy ...

Kill'em all and let god sort 'em out.

I kinda like the saying old marines have come up with.

Old Marines never die, they just go to hell and regroup!

Kaoru
22nd October 2003, 17:11
Originally posted by Juan Perez, Jr.
I really don't know what to say.

Honestly, I didn't believe that there was anything written on this forum that would leave me appalled. I have always respected a person's right to maintain whatever belief system that they wished. I have always, in my speech, or writing, kept a respect for these things. But, somehow, looking at this ... I don't know, but, I'm strongly appalled by it. I will not go on to insult the author, but ... as of today, as of right now, I'm done with E-budo. It was a great place to visit for a long time (over nearly three years). I'll monitor my PMs for three days just in case any of you wants to maintain contact via e-mail.

Take care all.

Juan,

You shouldn't take this personally. I didn't like the photo either, since it is a religious figure, and I wouldn't even like a picture of Buddha done like that, or of any other religious figure. But, I am sure Tony didn't mean it to hurt anyone's feelings. I think it is acting like a child to run off just because you didn't like what was posted. Why should you let a post not aimed at you, ruin things for you? That to me, is so silly. It says to me, you have other issues, that helped prompt this reaction. Just up and leaving over a scanned photo for heaven's sake is ridiculous, IMHO. I KNOW it bothered you a lot. That is ok. But, to react this way over something not aimed at you... You seriously need to re-think your attitude. I think I'd ask, is the cup half empty for you? See, if you are a positive person, then this photo ought not cause such a problem for you. It would mean that you are happy with your beliefs, and know that it doesn't matter what you see posted, and not get so upset over it. If you are firmly planted in what you believe, then you will not be so affected by what gets posted. This holds true for those not believing in a religion, as well. Tony meant not to hurt anyone, understand?

Juan Perez
22nd October 2003, 19:04
The responses I have received as a result of my post have been eye opening. If you look carefully at the bottom of my post, you'll notice that it was edited shortly after it was authored. I had included in it that I was "just kidding" and that the picture smells of "Photoshop" since the rifle is not being held correctly. But, I decided to let it ride without the disclaimer. After all, this is "Budo Fun". But, I am amazed at the conclusions and advice that I received from such qualifed, and well-meaning, folks. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by StanLee
Bye bye then cry baby:D :cry:

Originally posted by Kaoru
Juan,
I think it is acting like a child to run off just because you didn't like what was posted... It says to me, you have other issues, that helped prompt this reaction. Just up and leaving over a scanned photo for heaven's sake is ridiculous, IMHO ... You seriously need to re-think your attitude... See, if you are a positive person, then this photo ought not cause such a problem for you.

I'm seriously re-thinking my attitude and I think ... that you all need to relax and not take everything you read so seriously. ;)

elder999
22nd October 2003, 20:01
Originally posted by bruceb
Picture of Jesus with a handgun and assault rifle eh?

Usama bin Jesus?

Oh well ... back to the old Marine strategy ...

Kill'em all and let god sort 'em out.

I kinda like the saying old marines have come up with.

Old Marines never die, they just go to hell and regroup!

Actually, it predates the Marines by about 565 years.....

In 1210 AD, Pope Innocent III unleashed "orders of fire and sword" against a group of heretics throughout Europe, mostly remembered as Cathars. Of special note, at the great city of Beziers, France there was a terrible massacre of heretics. Though the actual count will never be known, it is thought that perhaps 100,000 people were ultimately slaughtered. The papal forces besieged Beziers and all inside were commanded to surrender and repent. The heretics inside, also known as Waldensians or Albigensians, were believers in a widespread form of gnosticism which threatened the greedy and materialistic goals of the Papacy.

According to a Catholic source, "Caesarius of Heisterbach: Medieval Heresies," after the city was taken, at a cost in life of thousands of defenders, about 450 heretics were "examined" by the inquisitors and many of them claimed to be Christians rather than being heretics and would not repent. Others claimed to be good Catholics and did not want to die. Fearing the possibility that these were lying, caused the infamous phrase to first be uttered. In Latin, "Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset" or "Kill them all. God will know His own."

Soulend
22nd October 2003, 21:18
Quite right. I wish we'd thought of it first though...:D

Kimpatsu
23rd October 2003, 00:02
Originally posted by n2shotokai
I have seen several versions of that painting from somewhere near Germany, Spain etc. etc. and there is one in the Narthex to the church I attend. In the original, Jesus is standing at the door waiting. He is waiting because there is no doorknob on his side. The person inside the house has the only doorknob, meaning it is up to individuals to open themselves up to a relationship with God.
Which concept is a nonsense. Ig god wants a relationship with me, I have to know how to contact him. So what's his phone number?

elder999
23rd October 2003, 00:07
Which concept is a nonsense. Ig god wants a relationship with me, I have to know how to contact him. So what's his phone number?

Oh, yeah..."Budo Fun,"...here we go again...:rolleyes:

Kimpatsu
23rd October 2003, 00:25
Originally posted by elder999
In 1210 AD, Pope Innocent III unleashed "orders of fire and sword" against a group of heretics throughout Europe, mostly remembered as Cathars. Of special note, at the great city of Beziers, France there was a terrible massacre of heretics. Though the actual count will never be known, it is thought that perhaps 100,000 people were ultimately slaughtered. The papal forces besieged Beziers and all inside were commanded to surrender and repent. The heretics inside, also known as Waldensians or Albigensians, were believers in a widespread form of gnosticism which threatened the greedy and materialistic goals of the Papacy.
There's a monument to the dead of that massacre in the town square at Beziers. I've seen it.

Kimpatsu
23rd October 2003, 00:27
Originally posted by elder999
Oh, yeah..."Budo Fun,"...here we go again...:rolleyes:
Well, religion is one big joke after all, Aaron. :D

Kimpatsu
23rd October 2003, 00:33
Originally posted by Soulend
Quite right. I wish we'd thought of it first though...:D
Plagiarist! :D

n2shotokai
23rd October 2003, 00:48

I was just explaining the artist's intent on the painting Tony. Nobody blew the atheist crusade horn so you can just calm down, have a seat and pour another one :rolleyes:

kirigirisu
23rd October 2003, 01:22
...and so it begins anew...

Mebbe John Lindsey needs to put a gag order on all things religious.

Nah, we'd still have politics to fight over. Neo-brownshirts versus Dirty, stinkin' pinkos, anyone?

...and yes, we all know you're trying to imply that Tony and Harvey abuse alcohol.

Give it a rest.

Kaoru
23rd October 2003, 02:24
Originally posted by Juan Perez, Jr.
The responses I have received as a result of my post have been eye opening. If you look carefully at the bottom of my post, you'll notice that it was edited shortly after it was authored. I had included in it that I was "just kidding" and that the picture smells of "Photoshop" since the rifle is not being held correctly. But, I decided to let it ride without the disclaimer. After all, this is "Budo Fun". But, I am amazed at the conclusions and advice that I received from such qualifed, and well-meaning, folks. :rolleyes:

I'm seriously re-thinking my attitude and I think ... that you all need to relax and not take everything you read so seriously. ;)

Ahhh... I see now. I'm sorry. But, you sounded so darned serious, that it was very hard to discern anything else but that you were disgusted by it. It sounded like you really were leaving. I saw that you edited it, but dismissed it, because "edit" just means "edit." Nothing else. Next time, do put the disclaimer, because then, I'd have known to say nothing. I have a very serious nature, that sometimes gets in my way, when I read things. Again, I am sorry I misinterpreted your post, and wrote what I did.

Kaoru
23rd October 2003, 02:36

Tony, you have to think philosophically to understand the intent of the painting. It isn't exactly nonsense. Even an Atheist can understand and appreciate the metaphorical meaning presented in the painting. Instead of poking fun at the concept, why not think about it? I don't mean change youre beliefs. I just mean figure out the meaning behind the painting. That's what a person is supposed to do, when viewing any piece of artwork. Well, here I go again... too serious... Ah well. Gomen nasai... (I don't mind what you said, though. Your ideas and opinions belong to you. I was just throwing out another idea to you.)

bruceb
23rd October 2003, 04:46
What modern day actor, with their particular acting style and characterizations would best portray a modern Jesus?

A comedian? A dramatic actor, or maybe .... a musician?

Should we think out of the box and think that Jesus could be more than one type of person? One for each ethnic and cultural representation? One for serious study, and one for comedy?

A couple a thousand different Jesus's running about all preaching the same message?

Oh ... never mind ... we already have that, don't we?

Kaoru
23rd October 2003, 06:35
I think... I think maybe this thread should be closed.

StanLee
23rd October 2003, 08:55
... and in front of computers somewhere across the globe a mini war starts ...

... forces band togther ...

... to fight this silly war ...

Wanted to say something stupid but couldn't.

larsen_huw
23rd October 2003, 10:31
I think... I think maybe this thread should be closed.

Closing the thread won't do anything. Out of sight, out of mind ddoesn't work.

"Oh ... there's an out of control 18 wheeler hurtling towards me .... maybe if i close my eyes it'll go away."

We can all see that's stupid, and isn't going to work, so why should closing the thread?

This sort of thing will continue until Tony either gets banned, or learns to be more tolerent of those who he doesn't agree with.

NOTE: i didn't say Tony was INTOLERENT .... just that if he was MORE TOLERENT there would be a lot less aggravation round here.

I for one just filter Tony out when he goes off on one of his rants. Don't take it seriously, he has his way of life, which involves aggressively trying to convicne people of their wrongdoing. In certain instances it's a very noble cause, his speaking out at the inherent racism of Japanese society, animal cruelty and charitable giving are all three topics which Tony has touched on recently which i believe he does a great job of drumming up support for.

However, no-one is perfect. Tony, like every one of us has faults. And his fault is he refuses to back down from a debate in the interests of civillity.

I accept him for who he is. Why can't others? If it's too difficult to filter him out when he gets uncivil, use the ignore function. He can call you a fundie, a whale murderer, or whatever he fels like, and you won't find out.

Why argue your case? You won't change his mind, just ignore him and the topic will die. He can claim victory all he wants, but DOES ANYONE REALLY CARE?

You've got your opinions, he's got his, we've got ours, no amount of bandwidth is gonna make much difference to any of that!

eek! just looked at the length of this .... it's turned into bit of a rant. ummm .... lets sum this one up the ....

Act like the mature people you're meant to be! No-one forces you to argue with Tony, or to read his posts .... so don't! :)

phew ... finally finished! :)

Let the rebuttles begin! :D

Rogier
23rd October 2003, 10:33

Mekugi
23rd October 2003, 11:03
Haysus looks fetching with firearms. What's to be upset by? I actually sent this to my shooting buddies, who get a huge kick out of it.

Also, given that Haysus was A) Jewish and the now "assumed" area that he was roaming around is B) totally dangerous, it seems to make some sense and is humorous to me. Besides, this guy in the picture is just some dude in a robe. It's not the mighty J.C. It's a picture!!!!(Amazing that!!)
If you think this is bad, justtttttt - - wait until you hear who all the people in most Renaissance paintings REALLY are!

Either way, I am not one to believe that a religion is right or wrong. Just believe what you beleive and keep it to yourself. That's you're right in the USA...the freedom to worship as you will.

I don't care if someone thinks Jesus actually took the form of a newt with a green belly. I don't care if a person does not believe in Jesus. I don't care if someone thinks there is no "yahweh". I don't care if someone paints Jesus as Dark complexion or light. Not my business!!

monkeyboy_ssj
23rd October 2003, 12:23
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naugthy boy!

larsen_huw
23rd October 2003, 12:38
Originally posted by monkeyboy_ssj
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naugthy boy!

who? Tony? :D ;) :p

monkeyboy_ssj
23rd October 2003, 12:42
Yes :)

Kaoru
24th October 2003, 04:27
... and in front of computers somewhere across the globe a mini war starts ...

... forces band togther ...

... to fight this silly war ...

Wanted to say something stupid but couldn't.

Ahahaha! That's just what I was thinking. That's why I said what I did. It wasn't aimed at anybody in particular. I just didn't want eveeybody to get mad at each other.

Kaoru
24th October 2003, 04:42
Originally posted by larsen_huw
Closing the thread won't do anything. Out of sight, out of mind ddoesn't work.

"Oh ... there's an out of control 18 wheeler hurtling towards me .... maybe if i close my eyes it'll go away."

We can all see that's stupid, and isn't going to work, so why should closing the thread?

This sort of thing will continue until Tony either gets banned, or learns to be more tolerent of those who he doesn't agree with.

NOTE: i didn't say Tony was INTOLERENT .... just that if he was MORE TOLERENT there would be a lot less aggravation round here.

I for one just filter Tony out when he goes off on one of his rants. Don't take it seriously, he has his way of life, which involves aggressively trying to convicne people of their wrongdoing. In certain instances it's a very noble cause, his speaking out at the inherent racism of Japanese society, animal cruelty and charitable giving are all three topics which Tony has touched on recently which i believe he does a great job of drumming up support for.

However, no-one is perfect. Tony, like every one of us has faults. And his fault is he refuses to back down from a debate in the interests of civillity.

I accept him for who he is. Why can't others? If it's too difficult to filter him out when he gets uncivil, use the ignore function. He can call you a fundie, a whale murderer, or whatever he fels like, and you won't find out.

Why argue your case? You won't change his mind, just ignore him and the topic will die. He can claim victory all he wants, but DOES ANYONE REALLY CARE?

You've got your opinions, he's got his, we've got ours, no amount of bandwidth is gonna make much difference to any of that!

eek! just looked at the length of this .... it's turned into bit of a rant. ummm .... lets sum this one up the ....

Act like the mature people you're meant to be! No-one forces you to argue with Tony, or to read his posts .... so don't! :)

phew ... finally finished! :)

Let the rebuttles begin! :D

Larsen,

No no... I wasn't talking about Tony at all. I meant that I didn't want an argument to ensue over this. I have already accepted Tony as he is, because that is only fair to do. He is actually pretty nice. All people deserve a chance, neh? BruceB's last comment is what prompted me to say I thought the thread ought to be closed. It was almost, I thought, a loaded comment. Perhaps I read into it too much... but still. So, no offense BruceB, and no comment is needed now from you please. That's that.

Well, I mean no disrespect to anybody in what I just wrote.

StanLee
24th October 2003, 08:28
Ahahaha! That's just what I was thinking. That's why I said what I did. It wasn't aimed at anybody in particular. I just didn't want eveeybody to get mad at each other.

I still can't think of anything witty to say...

So I shall gesture instead:eek: :moon: :toot :confused:

By the way, how did your kendo weekend go?

larsen_huw
24th October 2003, 09:29
Larsen,

No no... I wasn't talking about Tony at all. I meant that I didn't want an argument to ensue over this. I have already accepted Tony as he is, because that is only fair to do. He is actually pretty nice. All people deserve a chance, neh? BruceB's last comment is what prompted me to say I thought the thread ought to be closed. It was almost, I thought, a loaded comment. Perhaps I read into it too much... but still. So, no offense BruceB, and no comment is needed now from you please. That's that.

Well, I mean no disrespect to anybody in what I just wrote.

Carolyn,

Firstly, my name's Huw. My sirname's Larsen. Don't worry about it, people get that wrong all the time.

Secondly, bar the first 3 sentances, i wasn't talking to you. It was more of a rant in general about the way more and more of the threads here on E-Budo seem to be degenerating into pointless arguements, where neither side has any hope of convincing the other of anything.

Call it my weekly dose of therapy if you will! :laugh:

Helps me to get it all out my system, and i might as well do it in a thread where not that many people will read it.

Kaoru
25th October 2003, 00:06
Originally posted by larsen_huw
Carolyn,

Firstly, my name's Huw. My sirname's Larsen. Don't worry about it, people get that wrong all the time.

Secondly, bar the first 3 sentances, i wasn't talking to you. It was more of a rant in general about the way more and more of the threads here on E-Budo seem to be degenerating into pointless arguements, where neither side has any hope of convincing the other of anything.

Call it my weekly dose of therapy if you will! :laugh:

Helps me to get it all out my system, and i might as well do it in a thread where not that many people will read it.

Ah, I see, I wasn't sure which was your first name. Sorry about that.

And, I understand now that you didn't mean me. Well, you used a quote from my post so that's why I thought you were talking to me. Gomen nasai. Rants are ok. :) I know what you mean.

Kaoru
25th October 2003, 00:11
I still can't think of anything witty to say...

So I shall gesture instead:eek: :moon: :toot :confused:

By the way, how did your kendo weekend go?

Ahahaha! :D

I never can think of anything witty to say... And when I do try, I usually fall flat on my face anyway, so I don't try anymore, haha!

It was awesome! I'll tell you more later, because I'm going to a friend's choir concert in a bit, so there's no time right now.

Sayonara,