PDA

View Full Version : Embu

Mäki-Kuutti Vesa
3rd October 2000, 19:38
What makes an Embu good or not so good?
How to make a good embu?

Meanwhile we are eagerly waiting for The International Taikai in the end of April year 2001, we should prepare us for the Embu competition. I am interrested in your opinions about the questions Above. The things I apreciate are
1. technical accuracy
2. the spirit of the kenshi
3. clear movements which all have some reason from the point
of selfdefence. Simple is beautiful.

Thigs I dont like so much: Acrobatics, strange and meaningless attack and useless defences, and showtricks.

What do you think?

slait
9th October 2000, 11:52
Vesa-sensei was pondering how to improve his embu.

If you haven't seen this article yet, there're some good advices by John Kerr.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/Clubs/Shorinji/pages/news.html

<clip>

B S K F N e w s l e t t e r - Issue 2 – 15th May 1999
-----------------------------------------------------------

Notes on Embu Preparation (John Kerr, Glasgow dojo)

As most of you will be aware the 25th anniversary Taikai is only a month and a half away. This event will be the best opportunity to perform an embu in Britain for the next quarter of a century. You may think I exaggerate, but we will have Hombu instructors present (as well as demonstrating their own embu), Mizuno Sensei and Aosaka Sensei will of course be in attendance and most of the BSKF membership will be on hand to give praise and constructive criticism.

Time, therefore, is of the essence if you and a partner are intending to put together an embu. The key to a quality embu performance is to keep the movements simple and logical, stick to techniques you can do well (though you should of course use techniques from the whole syllabus up to the grade you are currently training for) and use techniques which flow well together to create each of your sections.

Above all else practice your embu repeatedly: there is no substitute for this aspect of embu training and the results will shine through. Your Branch Master and sempai will give you good advice, so listen carefully to all their comments.

Remember too that your embu is Shorinji Kempo as expressed by you and your partner and should therefore have some individuality about it: you should be proud of it. Be creative and enjoy the experience.

My embu partner Josh has noted down the points that we found most useful:

1) Make rough plan, covering all sections. Attacker/Defender and main aspect of the section. e.g. emphasizing goho and A attempting to overwhelm B

2) Work out the techniques for each section and WRITE THEM DOWN

3) Make sure the movements aren't too linear, emphasize the turning and moving characteristics of Kempo motion.

4) Choreograph the start and end positions of each section. Work out where to start and finish each section.

5) Learn the appropriate rhythm for all the motions. e.g. differentiate the timing of punch / punch / kick combinations and emphasize dramatic/aesthetic positions.

6) Practice again and again and again and again. Try to practice the complete embu as much as possible and try to not to work anything out while you are actually performing it.

For me embu is the apex of Shorinji Kempo practice and the most rewarding aspect to be gleaned from the technical

side of the Art. I hope you too can find this pleasure and feel the sense of achievement. Get cracking!

</clip>

Steve Williams
10th October 2000, 20:24
Hi all

Try this link http://www.bskf.org/101000embu.html it is from the updated BSKF site and has a lot of good comments.

Take it from someone who has done a lot of embu contests (me) embu should not be difficult, you must just think of it as an extension of your regular training not a separate entity (as most people seem to believe).

If you have a good technique that you can perform (perform may be the wrong word but it will suffice at present) then it is easy with a little creative ren-hen-ko to marry it with other techniques, do this 5 or 6 times and you have an embu, with good footwork and zanshin and kime, then you have a winning embu.

Anders may have more opinions as he has been taking part in embu competitions for as long as me(maybe longer).

Good luck in your practice and dont forget that embu is technique and not something separate.