PDA

View Full Version : Aikido in DC

dirkd1976
3rd October 2000, 19:42
Hello,
I am new to this BB, so please take it easy on me!! I am moving to the DC area in a couple of months and am planning on taking aikido at the Aikido Shobukan Dojo near the Takoma metro station. What I am wondering is, are there any people on this BB that train there? I would like to know a little about the dojo from someone who has actually trained in that dojo. How are the instructors? I noticed that the list of instructors is quite large, do they have a rotating schedual? Are the classes large or relativly small? I noticed they do weapons training on their website, what kinds? Sword? Any others? I already contacted them regarding prices and beginners class (every sunday they have an introductory class I believe), and purchasing the hakama. This is my first foray into the martial arts world. It is something I have been interested in for a long time, but was never able to train here in Maine for one reason or another. Anyway, some insider information would be much appreciated, I am both eager and nervous to start. Thanks in advance for any insight!!

RDeppe
4th October 2000, 17:29
Hi,
I am one of the people on that long teacher list. I currently teach sword on Tuesday night second class. Mike Lasky is teaching jo on Wednesday night second class. In five months we will probably switch weapons like we did a month ago (I'll do jo and he'll do sword). Yes we have a lot of teachers, but if you come primarily evenings or primarily mornings things are some what consistant (i.e. in the evenings there are ten classes taught by the same 5 people each week). Pete Trimmer & Mike Lasky are the Sempei (top/most experienced students) of the dojo (and both teach quite a bit).

There are a lot of yudansha (black belt ranking people) at the dojo and it's not unusual for at least half of the people in class to be yudansha; which is maybe intimidating for a new person but ultimately a very good thing. Class usually has between 10 & 20 people attending; 30 when Saotome Sensei is in town-- about every 2-3 months for a week or 2.

If you are completely new to martial Arts where you are required to fall down definitely start with the Sunday 10:30 class to get the best introduction.

Look forward to meeting you.

Gil Gillespie
5th October 2000, 07:43
Jason

If you are lucky enough to avail yourself of Robert and his people you will be blessed. I have never had the priviledge to train up there although my exposure to Saotome Sensei here in Florida has been an ongoing grace in my life! Enjoy your training!

That said, I'm not a Hemingway fan. Re: your signature, I offer an old MA maxim (especially worthy for a beginner): "In relaxation there is motion; in motion there is speed."

Chad Bruttomesso
5th October 2000, 14:14
Having trained at the Shobukan dojo for 2 years I can honestly say that you can't go wrong training there. I found everyone to be quite friendly and helpful yet serious/commited about/to Aikido. They are an amazing group of people who have the opportunity to train with Saotome Sensei on a regular basis.

Enjoy,

dirkd1976
6th October 2000, 16:37
Thanks for the info gentlemen. I am really looking forward to training at your dojo RDeppe. It will probably be a couple of months before I get moved in and settled down, but once I do I'll stop by and sign up. I am very excited for this, and it sounds like I will be training with some of the best!! Have a good weekend and thanks once again!!