PDA

View Full Version : Tejitsu AikiBudo/Gary Bennet

Kevin Myers
3rd October 2000, 22:35
I was surfing the web and came across the Tejitsu Aikibudo/Aikido site and its founder Grandmaster Gary Bennet. He claims his style is the ultimate martial art, does anyone know anything about this guy and his art? Sounds kind of bogus to me.

dainippon99
4th October 2000, 21:14
can i have the site address?

Kevin Myers
4th October 2000, 21:18
http://www.tejitsu.com

Nathan Scott
4th October 2000, 21:25
My, what an interesting page. Thanks for posting it.

I didn't get past the first page, but I did find myslef intrigued by the links to "Dynamic chi Accupressure" and "hypnosis". I guess "tejitsu", though mis-spelled, is supposed to mean "martial arts of the hand".

What can I say, the guy's obviously an all-american grand master - his page says so!

Regards,

Cady Goldfield
5th October 2000, 01:40
I used to get all riled up whenever I came across some phony-balony all full of hisself kinda grandmaster-sokey-dokey type. There was the sense of outrage, first, that he was further maligning the already sullied reputation of legit martial arts worldwide. Then there was the sense of outrage that he was ripping off the uninformed and naive.

But then I realized that true arts and their dedicated practitioners and perpetuators continue quietly, despite the surface mess, and will continue to do so. All it takes is the quiet handful to do this, just as it's the orthodox of every faith who keep the old traditions going long after their assimilated brethren have lost the core and essence.

There are legal avenues for the ripped-off to pursue, and for those who are happy following their sokey-dokey, no harm is done -- they have their hobby and their social life in the bag.

And the rest of us just keep training in our beloved, deep, authentic arts.

Anyway, the Web Site Sokes (tm) do provide amusement, neh?

szczepan
5th October 2000, 05:25
Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
I used to get all riled up whenever I came across some phony-balony all full of hisself kinda grandmaster-sokey-dokey type. There was the sense of outrage, first, that he was further maligning the already sullied reputation of legit martial arts worldwide. Then there was the sense of outrage that he was ripping off the uninformed and naive.

But then I realized that true arts and their dedicated practitioners and perpetuators continue quietly, despite the surface mess, and will continue to do so. All it takes is the quiet handful to do this, just as it's the orthodox of every faith who keep the old traditions going long after their assimilated brethren have lost the core and essence.

There are legal avenues for the ripped-off to pursue, and for those who are happy following their sokey-dokey, no harm is done -- they have their hobby and their social life in the bag.

Looking at your post one must say : these days Dojo storming days are over for ever....That's too bad....

In the other hand, how do you know this grandmaster is a sokey-dokey without first hand experience? Looks like you in Daito ryu don't have any contests or other forms of proving "who is who"? May be this " quiet training" is only an excuse to avoid looking reality face to face? In you art even seminars are so rare, and if it existe, folks from other ryu aren't very welcome, in fact they can't even watch this secret art.
So no physical comparison is possible :nono:

How can you be sure train in beloved, deep, authentic art?

Only from words of you sensei?.....hmh...... :laugh:

regardz

Mike Collins
5th October 2000, 06:35
Now this guy started tejitsu aikido in 1989
He started tejitsu aiki budo in 1999
Can I therefor assume that in 2009, he will come up with tejitsu aikijutsu?
In 2019 Tejitsu aikibujutsu?
In 2029 Tejitsu Aikinobudojutsu?

American Grandmasters Rise Up!
Shed the oppressive chains imposed by a legitimate lifetime of studying with a bona fide martial arts master. Start your own authentic, legitimate, genuine ryu.

no experience required

Cady Goldfield
5th October 2000, 13:44
Szczepan,

You are just so goofy! That's why I like you! :) I was talking about all legitimate arts, not any particular discipline. And yeah, I do miss the good ol' dojo storming days. We had a few in my old TKD dojang, and they served an important function. But, too many goobers out there suing at the drop of a fist...er...hat, so those days are over. Unless you can be subtle about it, that is.

Cady

Originally posted by szczepan

Looking at your post one must say : these days Dojo storming days are over for ever....That's too bad....

In the other hand, how do you know this grandmaster is a sokey-dokey without first hand experience? Looks like you in Daito ryu don't have any contests or other forms of proving "who is who"? May be this " quiet training" is only an excuse to avoid looking reality face to face? In you art even seminars are so rare, and if it existe, folks from other ryu aren't very welcome, in fact they can't even watch this secret art.
So no physical comparison is possible :nono:

Only from words of you sensei?.....hmh...... :laugh:

regardz

[Edited by Cady Goldfield on 10-05-2000 at 09:45 AM]

Ron Tisdale
5th October 2000, 14:24
Szczepan,

Why is it that people always assume (you know what they say about assumptions) that people who practise quietly (and perhaps more or less "traditionally") off in a corner have no experience that is usefull in "testing" their art? I personally practise regularly with 1st, 2nd and 3rd dans in Judo, Shotokan, Kenpo, and other arts. I myself have trained in Shotokan, kickboxing, Hung Gar Kung Fu, and a little Pukulan. Do you really think it never occurs to us to try out some of the hard hitting, straight ahead styles in randori against what we do now? It has nothing to do with what "Sensei" says.....we are adults, we can think and observe for ourselves.

Ron Tisdale

Oh, and just to keep this on topic, as far as that web site:
Ack! errggg.....phft!

[Edited by Ron Tisdale on 10-05-2000 at 08:29 AM]

BC
5th October 2000, 17:01
His website says:
My accomplishments are as follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Founded Tejitsu Aikido April, 1989

10th Degree Black Belt Awarded February 1992

1992 International Martial Arts Hall of Fame
Outstanding Achievement Award

1994 World Martial Arts Hall of Fame - Diamond Life
Achievement Award

1995 Listing in International Who's Who Directory

1995 World Head of Family Sokeship Council Martial
Arts Hall of Fame - Founder's Award

1995 Japanese International Samurai Jiu-jitsu Association
Hall of Fame

1996 Listing in International Who's Who Directory

1996 World Head of Family Sokeship Council Martial
Arts Hall of Fame - Grandmaster of the Year Award

1997 World Head of Family Sokeship Council Martial
Arts Hall of Fame - Grandmaster of the Year - Pennsylvania

1998 Founded "Dynamic Chi" Acupressure/Energy Healing System

1998 World Head of Family Sokeship Council Martial
Arts Hall of Fame - Martial Arts Writer of the Year

1998 Eastern USA International Martial Arts Association
Hall of Fame - Reader's Choice Award

1999 Founded Tejitsu Aiki Budo April 1999

Oooooooooohhhhhh!!! :shadowmas I'm SO impressed I'm tinkling all over!!! Oh, wait, that's because I forgot to put on my Depends. Never mind... :o

Brently Keen
6th October 2000, 05:17
Szczepan wrote:

"Looks like you in Daito ryu don't have any contests or other forms of proving "who is who"? May be this " quiet training" is only an excuse to avoid looking reality face to face? In you art even seminars are so rare, and if it existe, folks from other ryu aren't very welcome, in fact they can't even watch this secret art. So no physical comparison is possible

Only from words of you sensei?.....hmh......"

You are correct that in Daito-ryu we do not train for "competetive" purposes. Although Daito-ryu traditionally and philosophically as well as in name has always been a "jutsu" based system (and IMO still is), there are certainly many who practice it a variety of ways, and for a variety of reasons.

For those who've trained extensively and seriously in authentic aikijujutsu though, it's easy to tell who's who. When you've seen and experienced the real thing, imitations are no comparision.

Some may indeed practice in seclusion and secrecy to avoid having to face reality, but in the end reality has a way of catching up to us. Without getting sidetracked too much, I would argue that what you're saying is not really accurate.

For example, my own teacher Okamoto sensei was perhaps the first to really open his dojo doors wide to the public and receive visitors from other schools. And although he received much criticism for doing so, he did it confidently anyway. As a result, he counts among his students many high ranking practitioners, teachers, and even masters of other arts.

While I was training in Japan, every class involved training and exchanging ideas with experienced practitioners and competitors of other martial arts. Physical comparision was not only possible it was a regular occurance! And I'd say it was even difficult to avoid.

My sensei does not talk very much in regular class (after class at the restaurant or bar is a different story though), but instead he teaches by example, and by demonstrating. He is like the personification of "Nike-jutsu" - "Just do it!".

The first several seminars Okamoto sensei did in California were attended by numerous martial artists including many instructors from a variety of disciplines. Sensei was very open in teaching and demonstrating some of the more advanced and (previously) secret techniques of Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu to both skeptics and enthusiasts alike. I have witnessed and participated in many memorable sessions that turned into more or less friendly challenges and/or freestyle events. Including numerous attempts "to stump sensei with this move or that move".

Personally, I have always welcomed people to come and observe and/or train in my classes, and I also make a point of frequently visiting other schools and attending seminars.

The purpose of secrecy in Daito-ryu is not about isolating ourselves from reality, it's about good stewardship. It's not about hiding what we can do, or hiding from the real world, it's about guarding how we do what we do, and how we teach it. It stems from a desire to both transmit and develop (and in the process preserve) the essence of the tradition we have received in a complete and responsible manner.

In the Roppokai branch of Daito-ryu, closed seminars are also for the purpose of building up and strengthening the Roppokai branches. The seminars are closed in order to tailor the instruction specifically to the skill level and needs of the shibu-cho, and Roppokai members.

You are right that many people look for and seek excuses to avoid confronting reality/truth, face to face. And no doubt that's because doing so is such a humiliating process. Most people simply lack the depth of character to endure much of it at all. Thus we have a world full of everyday folks in various stages of denial.

The serious study of Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu is going to involve an intimate and deep study of the nature of reality. It requires that one take a close (and experiential) look not only at the world (and the way it really works), but also at oneself. Therefore, Daito-ryu will probably always remain somewhat exclusive, because not everyone is willing or able to handle a regular dose of that.

Even though there's no longer a strong "strategic" need to keep secrets, and the Daito-ryu world has opened up significantly, it still remains elusive. Perhaps the secret, hidden nature of Daito-ryu may also be as much a result of most people's beliefs and behavior keeping them outside the tradition, as it is the result of practitioners efforts to conceal those things and keep them exclusively within the ryu.

Maybe the "quiet training" that's been talked about is really for setting aside egotistic concerns of "who is better than who" and other non-essential distractions in order to focus on making real progress and achieving practical skills. Only those participating in the training can really know for sure. Those who are not involved cannot speak with any certainty about it, they can only speculate.

Just a few of my hastily typed thoughts, pardon me if they're off the subject a bit.

Brently Keen

[Edited by Brently Keen on 10-05-2000 at 11:48 PM]

MarkF
6th October 2000, 11:27
Hey, professor has three bona fide doctorates. Give credit where credit is due. I mean, he does have his doctorate in martial arts. Please, don't pass over him without a swath of blood on his house or anything.:rolleyes:

Mark

szczepan
6th October 2000, 13:47
Szczepan,

You are just so goofy! That's why I like you! :) I was talking about all legitimate arts, not any particular discipline.
[Edited by Cady Goldfield on 10-05-2000 at 09:45 AM]

oops, I'm sorry, I assumed(! can you imagin?) we are talking about one particular discipline, my fault (bow)...coz I'm so so goofy :karatekid

regardz

szczepan
6th October 2000, 13:57
Originally posted by Ron Tisdale
Szczepan,

Why is it that people always assume (you know what they say about assumptions) that people who practise quietly (and perhaps more or less "traditionally") off in a corner have no experience that is usefull in "testing" their art? I personally practise regularly with 1st, 2nd and 3rd dans in Judo, Shotokan, Kenpo, and other arts. I myself have trained in Shotokan, kickboxing, Hung Gar Kung Fu, and a little Pukulan. Do you really think it never occurs to us to try out some of the hard hitting, straight ahead styles in randori against what we do now? It has nothing to do with what "Sensei" says.....we are adults, we can think and observe for ourselves.

Ron Tisdale

Oh, and just to keep this on topic, as far as that web site:
Ack! errggg.....phft!

[Edited by Ron Tisdale on 10-05-2000 at 08:29 AM]

Hi Ron,

I didn't know that you in Yoshinkan have a habit to test your art against other MA?
:idea:
I believe it's quite an idea!!Do you have any particular rules in that kind of fighting?I mean is it structured training?
I'm not sure what O'sensei would say about it, he didn't like competition concept too much(even from one of his oldest students Tomiki sensei).

regardz

szczepan
6th October 2000, 14:16
Originally posted by Brently Keen

Maybe the "quiet training" that's been talked about is really for setting aside egotistic concerns of "who is better than who" and other non-essential distractions in order to focus on making real progress and achieving practical skills. Only those participating in the training can really know for sure. Those who are not involved cannot speak with any certainty about it, they can only speculate.

Just a few of my hastily typed thoughts, pardon me if they're off the subject a bit.

Brently Keen

[Edited by Brently Keen on 10-05-2000 at 11:48 PM]

Hi Brently,

Thank you for you interesting post.Could be.This is very good sign that your sensei let you open for other influences BUT there is an old japanese saying "exception only confirm rules" :D
As for "quiet training" thing, if I remember well, some time ago Dan told some stories how he won many bokken contest with high ranking aikidokas, and even some VERY high ranking Daito ryu sensei couldn't do any technique on him.So I'm not very sure about this "non-essential distractions ".
I think if one not train in regular basic outside of his style his training will stay only speculation, cos there is no neutral reference to confirm it.

regardz

Mike Collins
6th October 2000, 15:47
Well Szczepan, that settles it for me. From now on I'm going to take every opportunity presented to me to get in and win real fights.

Bad service at a restaurant- it's on!!
Rude clerk at Safeway- I kick her butt!!
Angry driver on the freeway- pull over buddy, we got some fightin ta take care of!!
Sideways look from that big guy at the gym- We Go!!

Or maybe not. Maybe I'll just train and keep my delusions.

Gil Gillespie
6th October 2000, 17:22
Cady

I find your post of 10/4 (above) to be the most succinct & sensible approach to the whole "bad budo" idea I have read in a loooooooooong time. Reposted as a thread starter in "bad budo" it would have great worth. It has always amazed me around here how any reference to charlatans/ imposters/ arrogant chest-thumping "soke-dokes" (I like that!) immediately elicits thousands of views and dozens or hundreds of posts, while highroad threads can wither on the vine. I guess it's the side of our nature that enables the "National Enquirer". . .

Thanks, Cady. Well said!

Mike Collins
6th October 2000, 17:30
Everybody loves a good scandal Gil. Or a bad scandal. People like me simply want a good opportunity to spew forth with verbosity whether it is actually important to me or not. My head makes these cool sounds when I talk.

Cady Goldfield
6th October 2000, 17:38
Heh heh. That's what I just told Gil in a private e-mail, Mike. The "Bad Budo" forum is specially-made for people who want to "vent" and get outraged. Why take that away from them with calm reasoning? :)

Cady

Nathan Scott
6th October 2000, 17:54
Hi,

I think when it comes to real-world effectiveness of a martial arts, generally, it can only be measured from exponent to exponent.

There are those that are committed to studying the combative application of Tai chi, and can probably do it.

Szczepan asks what policies other styles have for challenging outsiders, or at least challenging their techniques. I would suspect this is something that is not openly embraced by most organizations, if nothing else because of the legal ramifications.

Everyone is studying Budo for their own reasons, and not all of those reasons are focused primarily on real-world modern day effectiveness - for better or for worse.

However, there will be those that are primarily concerned with effectiveness in every style, and they will develop their own (hopefully ethical) methods of challenging themselves.

Martial arts are not techniques, they are *applied principles*, tactics and sometimes strategy (as well as philosophy etc. in some cases). Principles of combat either work or they do not. If your art is founded on combative and time tested principles, then any short coming in the application of them is the result of the students and teachers, not of the art itself.

Anyway, it takes all types, but I would say that in my personal opinion it is necessary for students of martial arts to at least attempt to perform effective technique regardless of their own motivations. Otherwise you are doing a great disservice to Budo and your fellow martial artists.

Regards,

Ron Tisdale
6th October 2000, 18:22
Originally posted by szczepan

Originally posted by Ron Tisdale

Hi Ron,

I didn't know that you in Yoshinkan have a habit to test your art against other MA?
:idea:
I believe it's quite an idea!!Do you have any particular rules in that kind of fighting?I mean is it structured training?
I'm not sure what O'sensei would say about it, he didn't like competition concept too much(even from one of his oldest students Tomiki sensei).

regardz

It depends on what you mean by test.

A) informal training amongst friends who train/have trained in other arts. This has nothing to do with "You in Yoshinkan".

B) Free style training (jiyu waza) with people trained in other arts, who then give more realistic attacks, give less "energy" to work with. More like traditional yoshinkan training, just adding in the different attacks, people not giving you their balance, etc. This can be taken to more "aggressive levels", including shite creating openings by using atemi first, then capitalizing on the openings created. Nothing extreme, but it does make you *very* aware of how hard it is to take someone's balance, throw someone in a controled fashion who doesn't particularly let you throw, etc. You must needs take their balance first (without getting hit first is preferrable).

C) Fighting is fighting, training is training. Fighting has no rules. I don't fight. If pushed to it, I will defend myself (again, no rules). When I train, I do not fight. Do you fight in your dojo? My Sensei would probably kick my butt out the door so fast my head would spin. As to the "rules" for training....try not to hurt each other. If we're going a little rougher, make sure someone competent and respected is there to watch and keep it friendly and safe. Shite sticks to aikido techniques (ok, sometimes a little judo or wrestling comes out), but for the most part, just aikido. That is what we're working on, after all.

D) What competition? We train to learn. Not to see which style is better, not to see who "wins" (its not a game). We train to learn what works now, what can be made to work with practise, how to make what works sometimes work more often. I personally don't think O'Sensei would have a problem with that. And I'm not sure you're qualified to tell me if he would. We score no points, we try to keep ego's to a minimum, I've even seen people sit out when they don't feel their attitude is up to the task of self control under pressure (If you don't think a 3rd dan trained in full contact shotokan and judo can bring some pressure, then I don't know what to say...).

E) Do you really mean to tell me that no one in your school has ever trained in another art? Or that they don't ever keep their balance when attacking, forcing you to take their balance before throwing? Bottom line, all you need to learn is a good instructor, some good training partners, and good hard keiko. That's it.

And there are many yoshinkan affiliated and non affiliated dojos out there. I've heard some of them even train in newaza :) (not us, of course...)

Ron Tisdale

L. Oates
18th October 2000, 21:06
Originally posted by Kevin Myers
I was surfing the web and came across the Tejitsu Aikibudo/Aikido site and its founder Grandmaster Gary Bennet. He claims his style is the ultimate martial art, does anyone know anything about this guy and his art? Sounds kind of bogus to me.

To my knowledge, Mr. Bennet studied Yoseikan Aikido under a Mr. Vinh. I believe he obtained the rank Ikkyu and went no further in the Yoseikan system. After Minoru Mochizuki's 1989 tour of North America, both Mr. Vinh and Mr. Bennet ceased to practice Yoseikan and neither one has had any affiliation with the United States Yoseikan Budo Association. The only contact between Mr. Bennet and the U.S.Y.B.A was to remove his self-imposed title of 3rd degree dan in Yoseikan Aikido from his book "Aikido Techniques & Tactics."

LaRied Oates
Sankyu

shinja
21st October 2000, 19:39
I looked through this guy's book in a local bookstore. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY THE WORST BOOK TO EVER CARRY THE TITLE AIKIDO. Apparently I'm not the only one because it recived terrible reviews from readers on Amazon.com and others with most saying if they could have given less than one star, they would have. This must have hurt his feelings because he actually goes into a pity party saying all these people have mounted a "smear campaing" against him.