PDA

View Full Version : Digital Kanji

Tim Atkinson
24th October 2003, 05:15
I thought there used to be a computers and budo forum at e-budo? I hope you can all forgive me for posting here.

I am putting together a multimedia CD and require kanji for chapter/screen headings. Kata, Kihon, Kumitachi etc.

I have scanned many from books etc, but need them to be a consistent style and feel, rather than the disjointed bunch I have at this time.

The kanji dictionary I that I have has characters which are too small. I could scan at high res. and then track the kanji, but thought there may be an easier way.

Is there a web based resource to that I could use? Are there fonts available?

Thanks for any help you are able to provide. :D

TimothyScott
24th October 2003, 12:31
Check out this thread:

Kanji Font Resources (http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10883)

Anders Pettersson
24th October 2003, 16:53
Hi.

Is this something what you had in mind?

http://www.shorinji-kempo.org/tech/img/kihon-kanji.gif

How many pics do you want? what size, resolution and coulor do you want?
If not to many I could make them for you, I have quite a few of different Japanese TrueType fonts.

/Anders

Tim Atkinson
26th October 2003, 23:56
Anders,

That is exactly what I am after. I would prefer them to be 300 x 300 pixels, but resoluition needs only be 7dpi. That way I can either use them as part oft eh screen back ground, or reduce the size for use as buttons etc.

I need the kanji for:

kenjutsu
battojutsu
shurikenjutsu
tantojutsu
rei
kamae
kihon
kata
dojo
heiho

Would you able to provide these?

I thank you now for any help you can provide.

TimothyScott
27th October 2003, 00:51
The Epson site I list in that thread link above contains fully scaleable, truetype fonts (assuming it's still around.) I highly recommend it.

Tim Atkinson
27th October 2003, 00:56
The link is still active so I will down load the .exe file and see what happens.

How does it work? Do I type in the romanised word and the programe selects the kanji, or do I search through a collection of kanji?

I have found because the kanji that I need have a martial "bent", they are har to find.

Thanks again, I will let you know how I go.

TimothyScott
27th October 2003, 02:37
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. As memory serves, you need to know the Unicode of the particular kanji you are interested in. Keep in mind, there are THOUSANDS of characters to choose from. What I ended up doing was getting a program for editing fonts, loading the truetype font set in, and then making a smaller set containing only the characters I was interested in.

I'm guessing this is above and beyond what you had in mind.

Tim Atkinson
27th October 2003, 02:43
Tim,

Just a bit! What types of programes can be used to edit the fonts?

I know what the kanji are and look like, I just need to have uniformity between the kanji. At the moment I have scanned them from a variety of sources and the style is not uniform.

But if I have a suitable programe or am able to obtain one, I will give it ago. Where would one get a list of the unicodes that you spoke of? Would they be listed in a kanji dictonary for example?

I may have to wait and see if Anders can provide the kanji I need.

TimothyScott
27th October 2003, 03:03
To find Kanji unicodes, go here:

Jim's Kanji Database (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html)

Select "Find Kanji in Database".

Enter your romaji reading. A page should come up with kanji possibilities. Select the kanji that apply and hit continue. On the next page you should see a bunch of information. The first datum that is preceded by a "U" is the Unicode value.

For example, looking up the character "te" as in "kara-te" comes up with a unicode value of U624B.

If you give me a list of the kanji characters unicode values you need, I'll slap together a simple truetype set that contains just those characters. All you'd need to do then is install that font and you could scale the characters to whatever size you want...

Tim Atkinson
27th October 2003, 03:08
Tim,

I will try to put togeather the list through the week and get something to you by the weekend.

Between your offer and that of Anders, I should be able to get what I want.

If you can still help me Anders let me know.

Thanks guys.

Anders Pettersson
28th October 2003, 14:07
Hi Tim.

Will send you an e-mail.

/Anders