PDA

View Full Version : Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and Iga-Ueno

aiki-zen
26th October 2003, 09:30
I am going to Japan November 10 thru the 21st to visit with some Buddhist friends. Does anyone know of any really cool samurai / budo sites to visit or to train for a day or two. (Aikido, Kendo, Iai, or Batto)

I've already been to almost all the temples in Kyoto and Nara. I am planning on visiting Yagyu Village in Nara and I'm going to the Ninja Village again in Iga. If anyone wants any pics or wants me to pick something up for them (within reason) ; please let me know and I will do the best I can to accomidate your request.

(Please Instructors Only)

Also, does anyone know where I might be able to get a really nice sword in any of those areas. I have a budget of about 3k in which to spend on a nice cutting sword. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. :o

carl mcclafferty
26th October 2003, 16:32
Mr.Estes
Scott Laking lives in Sakai, outside of Osaka. He studies with quite a few people and can give you some leads. His e-mail should be with his profile, if not e-mail me and I'll send it to you.
Carl McClafferty

Chidokan
26th October 2003, 19:42
shame you didnt tie in with one of the antique fairs that come up.. I saw some nice blades within your budget last time in Kyoto, although they can be a little highly priced at these places. If you are visiting an instructor tell him your budget and he will hopefully line up a couple for you to look at, dont forget to give a general description of what you want, i.e. length, curvature, kissaki type etc..

Shimura
27th October 2003, 02:04
There is a really good swordshop (don't remember the name) across the street from Nito castle in Kyoto. I'd love to see some pics, hopefully you'll post them for our enjoyment. Enjoy your trip, Kiyotsuke.

aiki-zen
27th October 2003, 07:11
Originally posted by Shimura
There is a really good swordshop (don't remember the name) across the street from Nito castle in Kyoto. I'd love to see some pics, hopefully you'll post them for our enjoyment. Enjoy your trip, Kiyotsuke.

Thanks, I will look into it. I think it is called "Japanese Sword." Did you mean, Nijo-jo mae (Nijo Castle) Nijo castle was very cool. I have lots of great pictures from there. Let me know and I can burn them for you and send you some. I took some pictures of the inside, though, you're not supposed to. I met with Soen Ozeki while I was there. We even had "ocha" together. He signed a Zen Poem for me and gave me a pair of prayer beads.

I will take a few low resolution shots and post them on the forum while I am gone. I am visiting the Daitoku-ji Kendo group while over their. I had a chance to train with them last year and it was really cool. I also trained at Machida Tenmangu with the Toyama group under Hataya Matsuo Sensei.

Unfortunately, Hataya Sensei was not able to make it because of a death in the family. The other guys were really good. There was one guy a few years younger than myself, I think his name was Shingo. He was amazing. It was truly an awesome experience. I was given a business card of one of the student / teachers (a Sonny Chiba looking fellow) and told they would make arrangements for me if I came back. I don't recall his name, but he spoke pretty good English and he was a really funny guy. I will post a pic of a group shot next time I have a chance.

Kiyotsuke, doesn't that mean; "Attention"

Shimura
27th October 2003, 13:53
Sorry, I was meaning Nijo castle. It was late last night when I wrote that mail, hence typos. I was taught Kiyotsuke meant "be careful, be safe" but knowing how the Japanese language is full of multiple meaning words I'm sure "attention" is part of its multiple meanings. That's fantastic your getting an opportunity to return to Kyoto, probably, along with Kamakura one of my favorite places in Japan. I was just talking to my fiance the other day and was metioning to her how I would love to take her there someday.

It will be great to see some pics, and I'm sure it will bring back fond memories. Quick question. Your location states your from Winter Park, Fl. Is that same Winter Park that's part of Orlando? Do you train reguarly with Bob the Elder and his Toyama group? Just curious. My fiance is a native of Orlando, and her father works there in Winter Park. I go down at least a couple times a year to visit and whatnot. Perhaps when your back from Japan and I happen to be in the area we could touch base, grab some coffee or tea, and talk budo and Japan. Again enjoy your vacation and hoep to hear from you soon, God bless.

aiki-zen
31st October 2003, 10:08
Originally posted by Shimura
Sorry, I was meaning Nijo castle. It was late last night when I wrote that mail, hence typos. I was taught Kiyotsuke meant "be careful, be safe" but knowing how the Japanese language is full of multiple meaning words I'm sure "attention" is part of its multiple meanings.

No Worries. I will post some pics when I come back. Anyone know of some cool things to do in Osaka? I will probably be all Templed out by the time I get there, so if anyone knows of any cool night club action, now's the time to let me know.

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions...