PDA

View Full Version : advantages of iaido

jezah81
27th October 2003, 01:43
I am just curious to know what the advantages would be of studying iaido? i do it personally because i enjoy it, but how does it benefit us in terms of self defense in the streets? Can we apply any iaido techniques to self defense on the streets without our sword?

Regards,
Jeremy Hagop

Pete Knox
27th October 2003, 03:43
It promotes a clear mind and calm nerves. Personally, I think that would be extremely valuable in a confrontation.

David T Anderson
27th October 2003, 14:08
Iaido also promotes mental focus, good balance and physical control and correct movement. Schools that combine Iai with Aikido or ju-jutsu to make this connection explicit might interest you...

Tim Mailloux
27th October 2003, 14:14
Originally posted by David T Anderson
Iaido also promotes mental focus, good balance and physical control and correct movement. Schools that combine Iai with Aikido or ju-jutsu to make this connection explicit might interest you...

I was going to basiclly say the same thing, but David beat me to it. I would like to add that I started training Iaido at the recomendation of my Aikido sensei. The focus, balance and control from Iaido dramaticly enhanced my aikido and still is till this day.

gendzwil
27th October 2003, 15:08
Originally posted by Tim Mailloux
The focus, balance and control from Iaido dramaticly enhanced my aikido and still is till this day.
Not to mention that after the 20th repetition of mae in a session, you won't complain about suwari-waza ever again.

A. Bakken
27th October 2003, 20:12
Originally posted by gendzwil
... after the 20th repetition of mae in a session...

You have sessions like that, too? :D

gendzwil
27th October 2003, 21:09
Originally posted by A. Bakken
You have sessions like that, too? :D
Actually I'm not a iaidoka, but I have been through several introductory seminar sessions. Haga-sensei visited us once and we had a 3 hour introduction to seitei-iai. His only english would appear to be "one more", which as you know does not really mean one more, but more accurately "do it again you boneheads, and keep doing it until it's half-assed right".

sunny
27th October 2003, 23:29
greetings.

i am just a beginner and so do not profess to know much at all, but here are my thoughts on the subject.
in Iai we are taught that presence is very important. this amounts to how you hold yourself and the 'aura' you project into the situation. i had a feeling this is referred to as 'kensai' but i am probley wrong (someone please correct me.) so as i learn to project my presence in Iaido, i find that i begin to carry this with me in everyday life. there is a story that goes:
a samurai was travelling through a forest when he was suddenly surrounded by a pack of hungry wolves. he was about to draw his sword when he decided that to use such a noble weapon on an animal would dishonor it. sheathing his sword, he squared his shoulders and walked through the pack like they were beneath his notice. the wolves, recognising a superior presence, backed off.
so in daily life we all accasionally come across a pack of 'wolves' and i beleive that Iai teaches us the ability to project our presence and therefore avoid confrontation. it also teaches us to be above petty violence and to avoid it if possibe. all good lessons in my opinion.
so as i said i am just a beginner, but this is what i have taken in so far.
best regards,
sunny prosser
adelaide, australia

fifthchamber
29th October 2003, 15:21
Hi all..
I am not an Iaidoka...But since I get asked this question in regards to the use of Kata I would say that one of the better benefits of ANY training in the older Japanese arts is the stress placed upon development of Zanshin...Or "Remaining spirit"...It's easily the most effective thing you can have to prevent mishaps outside of the dojo and short of carrying your sword about with you would be one of the better benefits of training in Iaido...Since, in the little Iaido I have done, any lack of vigilance would have been...Injurious to say the least.....:eek:
Yup...Trusty old zanshin...(And it helps when you're out shopping, driving, clubbing, or staggering home after a late night out...).
Regards...