PDA

View Full Version : 1994 reminscences.

David Dunn
31st October 2003, 01:30
2004 and the 30th anniversary of the BSKF approaches. I found my old video of the 20th anniversary taikai in Richmond. It's remarkable how similar many people look. At the end, there's a group photo with Mizuno, Arai and Aosaka Sensei in the middle. It could've been a week ago in Paris, except a few distinguished grey hairs. Other notable appearances:

Our esteemed moderator, Steve Williams. With a dodgy green jacket and hairy chest for self-defence demo with Michelle.

Cailey Barker, with very floppy locks in an excellent demonstration of tanto goshin jutsu with Mizuno Sensei.

Jee Sensei, making light work of Cheung Lo, Cailey, Greg Vincent and Joe Colis variously armed with knives, pipes and baseball bats.

Russell, Pete and Keith Sensei with a cracking three man embu.

The (in)famous embu of James Yeo and Gerry Rixen, in which the latter broke his forearm.

Hatano-san getting kinteki gadaki (sp?) from Osamu Mizuno.

Others appearing briefly in the general footage of the seminar include Rob Villiers (also floppy haired), Sensei Paul White (with much hair), Sensei Terry (with a similar amount of hair to now), George Hyde (with a dodgy hairdo and a bandana), Jeremy Peakin (with Edo Statham), Julian Harvey-Wood, John Linney, Afira Memon, Dave Marshall, Yasue Sensei, Linda Helm, Nori Tsunoda, Aran Lunzer (with a huge beard), Ade Foster-Starr, Lynda and Paul Barnes. Of course Kimpatsu aka TK as translator and Chris Lloyd as MC. And many others.

A collector's item, for those who know him: Stuart Tatlock without a beard. I'm tempted to lift it and post it...

Anyway, the point is, there are so many people still training ten years on. You know how at closing ceremonies we consider what we've done in the previous year, if it met our plans, and what our future plans are? Perhaps now is the time to look back over a decade. In some ways it seems like yesterday, and in others it seems an age ago. Many things have changed, but many things have stayed the same.

The point isn't to look to the past, but to look to now and the future. But something like that makes me reflect a bit.

Kimpatsu
31st October 2003, 01:57
Oh, gosh, David, you're going to drag out old videos and pics of us from a decade ago? I was still in my 20s (just) when that video was taken; I'll be 40 next birthday. Yikes!
On a similar note, Kokubunji Doin celebrates its 20th anniversay next month, with a big embukai and public demonstration, followed by a huge pissup in the grand Shorinji Kempo tradition, on Monday 24th November (a national holiday here in Japan).
Wish us the best. I also intend to make the BSKF 30th anniversary next year in Britain.
Kesshu.

cheunglo
31st October 2003, 08:44
Originally posted by David Dunn
...Rob Villiers (also floppy haired), Sensei Paul White (with much hair), Sensei Terry (with a similar amount of hair to now), George Hyde (with a dodgy hairdo and a bandana), Jeremy Peakin (with Edo Statham), Julian Harvey-Wood, John Linney, Afira Memon, Dave Marshall, Yasue Sensei, Linda Helm, Nori Tsunoda, Aran Lunzer (with a huge beard), Ade Foster-Starr, Lynda and Paul Barnes. Of course Kimpatsu aka TK as translator and Chris Lloyd...
My hat off to you, David, for such an outstanding memory of names! Maybe it is my poor memory, but didn't the 20th Anniversary take place in Brentford?

Tripitaka of AA
31st October 2003, 11:24
If I were neare my Mum's house, I could probably dig out my souvenir programme form the 10th Anniversary, which would go;

It's remarkable how similar many people look. At the end, there's a group photo with Mizuno and Aosaka Sensei in the middle. It could've been a week ago in Paris, except a few distinguished grey hairs. Other notable appearances:

Graham Nabbs Sensei with a dodgy green jacket and hairy chest for self-defence demo with Linda Helm.

Jee Sensei, with very floppy locks in an excellent demonstration of tanto goshin jutsu with Graham Nabbs Sensei.

Russell Jenkins Sensei and Peter Moore Sensei in a cracking embu.

Nobody breaking their forearm.

Mizuno Sensei giving a special wink to his wife which would at some later unspecified time lead to the creation of Osamu ;).

Others appearing briefly in the general footage of the seminar include Richard Jarman (also floppy haired). Paul White (with much hair), Sensei Terry (with a similar amount of hair to now), Some odd audience member (with a dodgy hairdo and a bandana), Linda Helm, Dirk Bruere, Tom White Sensei, Jeremy Shackleton (maybe), Sue from Danceworks (a hairdresser who worked in Japan for a while), Toshio (sp? name? short bloke with a goatee who left to teach Zen Buddhism), The Abbey Dojo; Peter Van Den Assem, Gary Campbell, Alan & Clive, Ken Byrne, Noel, Alan, did I mention Linda Helm, Janet, Emiko,

A minor disturbance in the Foyer (Finsbury Leisure Centre, North London), when a former BSKA(sic) Member/Sensei turned up to watch but was refused entry. If my memory serves, he was the chap who had been dealing with the "Way of the Warrior" program-makers and his disaffection with Shorinji Kempo had fuelled some of the comments about "Right-Wing Political affiliations". He may have been the Instructor from Glasgow, but I am not too sure about that. Almost as much fun as a broken forearm.

Trouble is, I can't remember if Kancho, SO Yuki was present. I think she was, but I'm not sure. I may be confusing different events. Anyhow, if anyone gets a prize for maintaining appearance over the years, it must be her.

David Dunn
31st October 2003, 11:59
Originally posted by cheunglo
My hat off to you, David, for such an outstanding memory of names! Maybe it is my poor memory, but didn't the 20th Anniversary take place in Brentford?

Easy when I still see all of you Cheung. As I recall the taikai was near the start of the M4, a short walk from the roundabout. The training seminar was elsewhere, maybe Brentford.

Steve Williams
31st October 2003, 12:46
Originally posted by David Dunn
Our esteemed moderator, Steve Williams. With a dodgy green jacket and hairy chest for self-defence demo with Michelle.

Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
Graham Nabbs Sensei with a dodgy green jacket and hairy chest for self-defence demo with Linda Helm.

To be spoken of in the same vein as Graham Nabbs...... sort of makes my (hairy) chest swell ;) :D

Tripitaka of AA
2nd November 2003, 12:10
Graham Sensei was doing a wicked "Drunken Lager Lout", did you manage that too Steve? Mind you, Linda got to have all the fun wiping the floor with him. I guess Michelle got to do the same with you, right ;), just like a normal night at home :D