PDA

View Full Version : Testing your skills

Kneppy18
31st October 2003, 03:09
A lot of dojos in my area don't do much sparring. They save that kind of thing for tournements. Since Bujinkan Ninjutsu prefers you not enter tournements, how do you practice/test yours skills if there isn't any full speed sparring? I was learning the hanbo with my sense and for the entire two hours it was just slow motion. Granted, this helped me to get the different possiblities to use it down, but I have no idea if I could implement the moves in full speed because I never get to try.

Any ideas?

-Aaron Knepp

Janin
31st October 2003, 03:32
Do it slow and practice it slow. If you do it fast you can screw up. To get good train slow. Basically if you start practicing it fast you will make mistakes. Slow is everything.

Kneppy18
31st October 2003, 03:38
I know the start should always be slow, but from what I see, there is no full speed practice at all.

-Aaron Knepp

Sunu Eagure
31st October 2003, 03:48
Sure there is! At home, where if the Hanbo flies out'ta your hand it doesn't put someone's eye out, who then sues the dojo which is summarily shut down and then you...well...have to train at home.
But if you can do it slow, you can do it fast, only it will be better.

Dainichi Inuwashi

Oni
31st October 2003, 05:35
Depends on the dojo. There are many different approaches to training out there. Some schools stay pretty slow and pretty...others get rough and tumble. Really depends on your instructor. At my dojo we explore both sides...we explore the slower technique oriented training. Timing, balance, distancing...later we take the techniques and pick up the pace...sometime using various training equipment or safety gear. Other times we take the techniques and skills we know and explore free response decision making drills. I feel that there are many ways you can train and that you can be free to mix and merge your methods.

Full speed training with a wooden hanbo is pretty dangerous though...not sure its something I would do. There are safer tools you can implement to pick up the pace available. Of course if you really want to do full speed hitting with sticks check out the Dog Brothers...

kage110
31st October 2003, 09:26
Aaron,

You have only recently started training in the Bujinkan, haven't you? A lot of beginners want to feel that the techniques they are learning (in any martial art) are readily learned and can quickly applied in the real world but the unfortunate reality is that it takes many years of training to be at a level when your skills are sufficient to use in a 'real' manner.

By training in a slow manner you get your body and mind to really study the movement. If you do a movement quickly you can be disguising all sorts of weaknesses in your technique that would leave you dangerously exposed if you ever had to use the stuff for real. Of course you have to do things at real speed at some point or another but give it plenty of time. Training in the Bujinkan (and similar arts) is about training for a lifetime.

doraemon
31st October 2003, 13:41
I know the start should always be slow, but from what I see, there is no full speed practice at all.

The key to good martial art is to change the nature of timing, and movement so you have more time and "they" have less time, to do what will be the crucial moments of the exchange.

Unfortunately we are dealing with a living martial practice here.
Trophies and glory, and movie-esque action aren't in the cards.

Most of the things you are doing, if done with full intent and speed will maim or kill your opponent. Overstraining joints, attacking blood vessels, shocking nerve clusters, and causing bad falls. Not good for your partners at full speed.

If you train full speed with gear, hitting approved targets, you are no longer doing a martial art. It is a sport. And if you have to do one, I would say find a good judo dojo, One that teaches what Kano wanted people to learn. And not worry about hitting people. Judo will provide enough aggression and bone jarring impact to satisfy most people. And if someone tries to punch you in a bar, doing the appropriate body motion for a judo throw without holding on might be very effective. At the very least Judo people have really good balance. :D

If that isn't enough, maybe you are a masochist. Then I suggest finding a self-destructive relationship partner...and voila!!! Problem Solved!!!!! All the "pain" you will ever need, and plenty to complain about to your friends too.

In your Bujinkan Training I suggest you watch and listen, and feel closely the rhythms of things in your exercises, kata, and classes.
You will probably discover that being big and "fast" is only done to your detriment. Jumping out of the way of punches, or kicks, or blocking them, with big fast motions is not a good idea. Aggresion is easily handled by learning proper timing and distance and doing your moving rather fast in comparison to the large motions most people have to do to get to you. You will see that moving later and smaller, makes you move faster than your opponent, but the key is having an instructor around to help you with your technique/form, so you are not cheating yourself of the right movement and spacing, and technique application.

My old pal's Dad was a Navy Fighter Pilot Instructor. He served in WWII and Korea, and trained people for Vietnam. He passed on this nugget to everyone who would listen. I paraphrase. "Speed does not kill, Difference in speed kills." So, make sure you are the ground, and not the airplane crashing into it.

People really need to learn to deal with morons saying, "Well, of I did this, and you did that, then I would do this."
I usually say. "That's cool, you're probably right." And let them think they know something. It's better for "us", not for people to come to this kind of thing before they are ready, because most never will be.

And its better that angry beligerent people go find trophies, and never learn to protect themselves from real martial art.

Also. Make sure your partners know how to kick and punch with intent to really hurt you and that they move to the terminus of each of those attacks as long as you are giving them an appropriate target to "shoot at" for the amount of time it would take them to commit to the attack.
If people are tracking you with their punches, they could be:
not really trying to "harm you",
moving to defend themselves at inappropraite speeds for the exercise,
OR
YOU may be moving before they are even "really" punching.
You only have to really worry about where the weapon would strike you, not jumping backward and simply maintaining the exact distance realtionship you started with.

If someone is being a dork and not staying with the program, don't train with them. Or don't invest any of your real attention on them, wait until you rotate away from them, if rotations are part of your class structure.

That is 6 cents worth.
If you want to send me 6 cents for it I can e-mail you my address.
That lesson is usually worth more like 15 bucks, but most people don't really hear it, and I hear it quite often, so by the time people have actually absorbed it, I'm sure its an multi-hundred, if not thousand dollar lesson. ;)
At least, thats the way it was for me. :D

Kneppy18
31st October 2003, 13:43
It is true that I just started my training, but we train in a large group with all ranks training together and I never saw anyone go at full speed (even a 4th dan that was training with us).

Also, I'm not just talking about weapons training. I'm also talking about regular taijutsu. What I'm worried about is that I will be able to do it slowly with a willing partner, but if something ever really does happen, my reaction time will be too great and I wouldn't be able to defend myself.

-Aaron Knepp

doraemon
31st October 2003, 14:35
have more faith in yourself. :)

BigJon
31st October 2003, 14:39
I never saw anyone go at full speed (even a 4th dan that was training with us

Ever hear of Black Belt Only Training? No? Oh, Its because you just started....believe me, when you just start, you don't want someone to apply gyaku-seoi nage full speed!! Or any technique for that matter. Until you can do ukemi well, the instructor is doing you a favor by going slow...Our dojo trains the same way you described, but senior ranks train together all the time , so they can train faster.....and harder.

Are you with Mr. Martin in PA? Or with one of Greg's guys? (I am not sure where in Pa you are exactly)

kage110
31st October 2003, 15:29
snip....That is 6 cents worth.
If you want to send me 6 cents for it I can e-mail you my address.
That lesson is usually worth more like 15 bucks, but most people don't really hear it, and I hear it quite often, so by the time people have actually absorbed it, I'm sure its an multi-hundred, if not thousand dollar lesson.
At least, thats the way it was for me.

Eric,

Can I just say :nw: :nw: :nw:

That was an inspired piece of writing and if I have your permission I will keep a copy of it and dish it out to people who ask the question. Send me your address and I will certainly send you a 5 pence piece!

It is true that I just started my training, but we train in a large group with all ranks training together and I never saw anyone go at full speed (even a 4th dan that was training with us).

Also, I'm not just talking about weapons training. I'm also talking about regular taijutsu. What I'm worried about is that I will be able to do it slowly with a willing partner, but if something ever really does happen, my reaction time will be too great and I wouldn't be able to defend myself.

Aaron,

Your fears are understandable but I am afraid you are going to have to face the reality that it will be a good few years before you are really going to be able to use your taijutsu in a real situation. In the meantime you will pick up useful skills that you might be able to apply but if you want to pick up skills that will help you in a matter of months rather than years then go an seek out a good instructor of combatives or the like (check out http://www.selfdefenseforums.com and http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com to get the idea). Disclaimer: I am not preaching that combatives are better than BBT but there is a lot to learn in that field and take with you as you develop your BBT skills.

In the meantime, read Eric's post above again and again - it is probably the best bit of writing I have read on this subject. By all accounts you are training with one of the best BBT teachers in the world (Ed Martin aka Papa-san) so make the most of it (otherwise I will personally come over and kick your arse for missing a superb opportunity I wish I had! :D ). Happy training!

doraemon
31st October 2003, 15:52
Thanks Hugh.
Use it however you want. :)
It would cost 10-20 time the 5 pence to send it. :D
Your appreciation is worth 5 Quid. ;)

Aaron, never give up working on your fundamentals.

Pay special attention to the Kihon Happo. Especially the dynamics of the Hitting forms, they work the different ranges and the dynamics of hitting as well as opportunites to make the throwing work in a fight.

If you are working with Ed use him for a mirror, and don't let him get away with just teaching you the high level ninja stuff. ;)
He has a really strong knowledge base and a very keen eye.
Your teacher can be an amazing asset, especially when trying to turn your practice into effective economical martial art.
But, I'm afraid, you have to ask. Most instructors are looking for real students, but the students have to show interest, commitment, and willingness to to the work.
This is like school. You can get a grade and a degree, but that doesn't neccessarily equal success in a career. :D

WD Tweedy
31st October 2003, 16:03
Aaron,

Simply put..."Gambatte"...Keep going!

How do you think Ed got where he is today? Ask Ed about the training. Why do you think Ed is so highly respected?

Most all of us start the same way. We learn to crawl, stumble, then walk, run THEN you MIGHT be able to run a marathon one day if you slowly train and BUILD up to it. The same goes for Martial Arts training. I have been involved in training and teaching the Martial Arts for more than 20 years. My wife and I started training in the Bujinkan about three years ago, studing with a Godan that trained under under Ed. Today, I realize that I am still a "beginner". Believe me when I tell you that you have to START OFF SLOW! You didn't start off in school speed reading "War and Peace" did you? No, it was the alphabet song, phonetics, and "See Spot Run"...LOL! Did this transition (using only your brain, eyes, ears, and mouth) happen in a few classes or a few months? NO! It took years! Imagine using all these senses (and more) and having to coordinate all these; I hope you can see why it takes so long to get a technique down right.

Remember, you will learn plenty of things you can apply right away, but most of it is a continous process...not a sprint, a marathon.

Tell Ed that Doug and Michelle from Richmond said "Hello". Hopefully we'll get to meet you this November on our upcoming visit!

Doug Tweedy

Kneppy18
31st October 2003, 17:18
Thanks for all your posts. Yes, I am training under Ed Martin, but I had to take a little break from it due to school and other conflicts. I'll be starting up again in December.

-Aaron Knepp

WD Tweedy
31st October 2003, 18:10
A friend of mine that I have practiced some Escrima with had a good analogy for speed in training.

Eventhough he trained at a good speed he would watch it when it came to contact and control, with a partner. His view was that when the "heat was on" you would automatically "turn up the volume", in other words more contact and energy would occur when stress was applied. There is time to train hitting hard (bag or makiwara)and such, but try not to hurt your training partner! LOL!

I saw his theory come to light a few times when we worked together as (how is a nice way to say this?) "doormen" at a rather rowdy rock-n-roll club. Someone would get out of control, want to exert some "force" on a doorman and up went the volume! It happened every time, it was interesting to see and more bizzare to be part of.

While I didn't mind the extra money at the time I am glad that time in my life is over. Many people don't realize how quickly events can escalate and how quickly things can get ugly. But that's one reason why we train, isn't it?...for the "just in case" moment.

Doug Tweedy

Moko
31st October 2003, 18:49
train full speed for real in Budo; I believe the LAPD is always hiring.

Beyond that, listen to the good advice from your teacher. And note how odd it is that it is echoed here. In time, you will learn that your teacher is OK and you will trust him more implicitly.

But before you move to LA learn some of the skills first. :D :D :D

DeLamar.J
1st November 2003, 00:29
Originally posted by Kneppy18
A lot of dojos in my area don't do much sparring. They save that kind of thing for tournements. Since Bujinkan Ninjutsu prefers you not enter tournements, how do you practice/test yours skills if there isn't any full speed sparring? I was learning the hanbo with my sense and for the entire two hours it was just slow motion. Granted, this helped me to get the different possiblities to use it down, but I have no idea if I could implement the moves in full speed because I never get to try.

Any ideas?

-Aaron Knepp Slowness brings speed, softness brings power. Belive it or not.:beer:

Kneppy18
1st November 2003, 05:47
Oh, I have the utmost respect for Mr. Martin. He is all I could ever ask for in an instructor. I was basically just curious on the sparring because I didn't see any in the short time I was there and I was wondering if it ever happend. I guess I phrased everything kinda poorly and just looked back at it now.

Anyone who trained with Papa-san: do you ever spar? or is it just the slow motion moves over and over again?

-Aaron Knepp

kirigirisu
1st November 2003, 07:32
Dude, before you try to FLIP OUT and try to impress your stoner buddies with your awesome new Ninjer Skillz(tm), I would suggest you get some of the basic stuff down.

Problem with "sparring," especially when it comes to something like "da Booj," is that unless you've got da skillz disnown, fashizzle, you is gonna be cultivatin' da bad habitz, fashizzle, when you be doin' da octagon UFC bizzle.

Otherwise, I really suggest you find a BJJ school in your area. It'll take care of most of your excess testosterone issues when you have a gaggle of overly aggressive Brazillians, Russians, and Middle-Easterners trying to do you grievous bodily harm whilst proving how long their dongs are.

Little hint for ya: They'll keep smacking you around until you manage to get a good jime on them an be more a little slow in releasing it. If they start to defecate themselves, you've kept the hold on a little to long.

Good Luck.

Kneppy18
1st November 2003, 15:45
Originally posted by kirigirisu
Dude, before you try to FLIP OUT and try to impress your stoner buddies with your awesome new Ninjer Skillz(tm), I would suggest you get some of the basic stuff down.

Problem with "sparring," especially when it comes to something like "da Booj," is that unless you've got da skillz disnown, fashizzle, you is gonna be cultivatin' da bad habitz, fashizzle, when you be doin' da octagon UFC bizzle.

Otherwise, I really suggest you find a BJJ school in your area. It'll take care of most of your excess testosterone issues when you have a gaggle of overly aggressive Brazillians, Russians, and Middle-Easterners trying to do you grievous bodily harm whilst proving how long their dongs are.

Little hint for ya: They'll keep smacking you around until you manage to get a good jime on them an be more a little slow in releasing it. If they start to defecate themselves, you've kept the hold on a little to long.

Good Luck.

Geeze Will, you don't have to be rude about it. I'm just asking a question. I AM a beginner and I don't expect to be going full speed right away and I especially don't plan to "flip out" (I'm not at all happy with you comparing me to that brat). I was just wondering if it happens or if everything was training slow. I don't know where you came from but here, beginners don't know all the answers so they ASK.

I really don't appreciate being talked down to. And that psuedo ebonix crap is totally unnecessary. And I have no idea what a good "jime" is.

So for future refrance, if you ever plan on answering any of my posts again, do it respectfully. No one will listen to you if you act like a jerk.

I forgive you though,

-Aaron Knepp

Janin
1st November 2003, 17:51
"SHUT UP AND TRAIN!" by Maasaki Hatsumi Aaron just don't even worry about speed and just train and work hard. All you need to know is just what that quote says.

shotofan
1st November 2003, 18:40
Aaron just ignore some of the people on here. They get rude some times because they think they know every thing because they have 10 15 or even 20 years under there belt..

I don't see what was wrong with your post? It was a simple question. I were you are coming from. I had questions like that when I first started in Shotokan 8 years ago. Trust me, in time all your questions will be answered in time. And if not you could at least ask one of the senoir student. But really think about the question first though. :toast:

mladen
1st November 2003, 20:33
The dojo that I go to incorporates "Live Drilling/Randori", which is basically sparring. My sensei mentioned that only a few schools do this. It's actually very beneficial, because after you practice the techniques, you see how it works in real time (and you'd be surprised at how difficult it is to execute while at full speed). But no one hits with full power...we just go real time. Go to the website, they explain it better than I can: Bujinkan Anko Dojo (http://www.taijutsu.com)

Just wanted to let you know that there are places that incorporate sparring.

El Guapo-san
2nd November 2003, 14:09
Before going someplace to test your skills, I suggest that you not only try flipping out, but try flipping out in a swampest place. Then you will know the true measure of your skills.

J. Vlach, Amsterdam

kirigirisu
2nd November 2003, 17:36
Geeze Will, you don't have to be rude about it. I'm just asking a question. I AM a beginner and I don't expect to be going full speed right away and I especially don't plan to "flip out" (I'm not at all happy with you comparing me to that brat). I was just wondering if it happens or if everything was training slow. I don't know where you came from but here, beginners don't know all the answers so they ASK.

Yes, but they usually ask their Shidoshi offline. Considering the fact that yours was/is (depending on if'n you're still with Papasan) one of the best sources of offline info available in in 'Merica, you seem to be trading Certified Angus Prime Rib for Sizzler.

What a waste.

Pearls before swine, and all...

I really don't appreciate being talked down to. And that psuedo ebonix crap is totally unnecessary. And I have no idea what a good "jime" is.

You'll get along much better in life once you take that Filipino made "replica" ninja-to out of your puckered starfish and develop a sense of humor, young grasshopper.

And a jime is a choke.

Don't you hate it when some of your best subtle material just flies over the head of the young, angry, and none-to-bright?

So for future refrance, if you ever plan on answering any of my posts again, do it respectfully. No one will listen to you if you act like a jerk.

You'll get respect when you've earned respect, fashizzle my nizzle.

And whether or not you listen to whatever advice I have to give is none of my concern.

Either you'll get it, or you won't and stop wasting Papasan's time.

Now please stop wasting ours.

I forgive you though,

Your forgiveness is meaningless and worth the paper it's written on.

You're welcome to your empty gesture if it makes you feel better, though.

Peace up on the three-point-one-fo' tizzle.

Booyahkasha!

John Lindsey
2nd November 2003, 17:44
I hate to barge in on this conversation, but I think Jime should be pronounced as shime unless it comes after a kanji such as: hon jime, gyaku jime, etc. That is why we have shime waza and not jime waza.

kirigirisu
2nd November 2003, 17:48
Originally posted by shotofan
Aaron just ignore some of the people on here. They get rude some times because they think they know every thing because they have 10 15 or even 20 years under there belt..

Not everything, just enough to know that sometimes even when you've answered the question the young grasshopper in question still won't get it and continues to ask over and over again just to hear himself talk.

The question and its corresponding answer ceases to be a concern after that.

I don't see what was wrong with your post? It was a simple question.

Nothing was wrong with the question.

THE ANSWERS just didn't sink in, and he got several really good replies in addition to my little rabbit-punch to the kidneys when it became clear that a straight answer wasn't going to help.

I were you are coming from. I had questions like that when I first started in Shotokan 8 years ago. Trust me, in time all your questions will be answered in time. And if not you could at least ask one of the senoir student. But really think about the question first though.

Yes, even though your instructors still need to be beaten within an inch of their miserable lives for their shoddy job educating you, you do have a good point.

Although, having started out in Shotokan myself all these years ago, I should think that you should realize that you don't get to ask all those silly, niggling questions ad nauseum without some involving some seriously painful discipline dispensed by your seniors if'n you don't "get it" after a while.

kirigirisu
2nd November 2003, 17:51
Originally posted by John Lindsey
I hate to barge in on this conversation, but I think Jime should be pronounced as shime unless it comes after a kanji such as: hon jime, gyaku jime, etc. That is why we have shime waza and not jime waza.

Cripes. Now I know why I only got a "B-" in Japanese 1 and a "C" in Japanese II.

I think I was thinking "hadaka jime" but effed it up.

Kneppy18
2nd November 2003, 18:49
Will, I'm sure you are plenty knowlageable, but I just didn't understand and thought I needed to clarify my question. I am not in contact with papa-san at this time and will not be able to get a hold of him until I resume my training in December. I am not just some kid who whines until everyone sees my way.

Again, I know you have a lot to say (and some of it, I'm sure, is very good) but until you learn to speak with respect to me, I'd appreciate it if you didn't replay anymore to my posts and just let the others help me. I'm not going to argue with you, I'm just asking if you can do me this one favor.

Thank you,

-Aaron Knepp

MakotoDojo
2nd November 2003, 20:36
Originally posted by John Lindsey

Now that your bring that up, doesn't geri said alone mean diarrhea?

regards,

kirigirisu
2nd November 2003, 21:38
Again, I know you have a lot to say (and some of it, I'm sure, is very good) but until you learn to speak with respect to me, I'd appreciate it if you didn't replay anymore to my posts and just let the others help me. I'm not going to argue with you, I'm just asking if you can do me this one favor.

:rolleyes:

I've always found that those who demand that people "respect" them are usually the ones least deserving of that "respect."

Especially when they've done nothing to warrant that "respect."

As such, I'll reply to anything I damn well feel like replying to, just like anyone else on this forum.

Usually I'll let such uppity behavior slide, but you've made it especially inviting as of late.

If'n you don't like it, there's always the "ignore" function.

Good Luck, and enjoy.

Fashizzle.

Oni
2nd November 2003, 22:08
To help you out with William....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

;)

Kneppy18
2nd November 2003, 23:48
Ha, thanks Michael, it does help :D

-Aaron Knepp

kirigirisu
4th November 2003, 04:13
Originally posted by Oni
To help you out with William....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

;)

Booyahkasha!

Much love and respect to my main mizzle Onizzle Mizzle-dizzle Stizzle-hizzle, a'ight!

Although young grasshoppah still gonna get the goon hand if'n he get all west-nile and magpie up in the hizzle.

Translation: your demands for respect don't frighten us, you silly Philly knigget. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hampster, and your father smelled of elderberries. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

(ask one of the old farts for that reference before you go into a huff again, young lady).

Kneppy18
4th November 2003, 15:24
Well, I don't know where you came from, but around here, you respect the person first until he or she shows that they don't deserve respect. Not the other way around. But I'm not gonna argue with you, like I said earlier. I'm sorry you don't like me, I'm not gonna force you to respect me, but you don't have to mock me, I don't see what satisfacation you get from that.

And I grew up with Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail, I'm not THAT young.

Can someone (besides William) tell me if I'm going to get harrassed by this guy my entire time on this bored? I just registered not too long ago and it's very helpful, but I don't need this...

-Aaron Knepp

Snowtiger
4th November 2003, 15:34
If you don't like someone's posts, you can go to your "user cp" control panel and add him to your "ingore"-list. :)

naginata
4th November 2003, 16:54
Aaron, I see you train with Shihan Martin. Well, before I tackle your randori question...I figured I'd just let you know that is Ed is simply one of the damn best instructors within our system...lavish his instruction, it'll train you well. Besides, if you ever don't feel like training in Allentown..you can always come up to our place in York and give us a go.

:D

Now...I can understand where you're coming from with the full speed issue...when I was younger, and still very stupid, I asked my Sifu the same thing. Well, he said "let me show you what happens before you are ready", and proceeded to play with me like a Kitten on a ball of string. Not a single one of his strikes or locks were even close to full out, but I was sore all all get out the next day, and it was one hell of a wake up call. At that point I was only training in Hung Gar for a very short time, 6 months maybe? He said, "go home...practice forms, practice postures, practice weapons, practice practice practice!!" So I did, and did and did, and never did I challenge him like that again for quite awhile...8 years later as a matter of fact. Not until I'd already been an "indoor disciple" for quite some time, and even then I knew I wasn't ready...but at least I fared a bit better that time, I got at least a few less bruises.

If you think it's a good idea to go faster, find some others and step it up a BIT, and then some more bits later, and more later....as time goes on you'll be able to adapt your body to take a full speed throw, you'll be better able to avoid a full speed strike, and you'll be better able to move period. Try going full speed now and you'll be a bleeding punching bag...
Do I miss going quickly now that I'm training in Greg's Dojo? Yes and no, yes because I feel I have to do twice as many self-sustaining speed drills now that I'm damn near always training slowly. But, when I'm going slow I'm getting to iron out all the wrinkles in my techniques. I may be able to do my Kung Fu training at fill tilt now that I've been doing it for quite some time, but Taijutsu is still a relatively new art to me, and because of that...as of now, slower is better.

peace,

ryan

kirigirisu
5th November 2003, 06:49
Well, I don't know where you came from, but around here, you respect the person first until he or she shows that they don't deserve respect. Not the other way around. But I'm not gonna argue with you, like I said earlier. I'm sorry you don't like me, I'm not gonna force you to respect me, but you don't have to mock me, I don't see what satisfacation you get from that.

Your immediate indignation and hilarious huffyness are a reward in and of itself.

Then again, I'm pretty easily amused :D

And I never said I didn't "like" you. Hell, I don't even know you. But I do find you quite amusing, young grasshopper.

Can someone (besides William) tell me if I'm going to get harrassed by this guy my entire time on this bored? I just registered not too long ago and it's very helpful, but I don't need this...

Here's a hint: as long as you make it an issue ;)

And it's "board," not "bored." Freudian slip?

kirigirisu
5th November 2003, 06:53
Originally posted by Snowtiger
If you don't like someone's posts, you can go to your "user cp" control panel and add him to your "ingore"-list. :)

THANK YOU.

Something I've been trying to tell young grasshopper all along.

Doesn't seem to absorb the subtle stuff too easily, does he?

godstar
15th November 2003, 18:14
how do you practice/test yours skills if there isn't any full speed sparring?

-Aaron Knepp

I am part of the crowed that does not think full contact/ randori, sparring is real fighting... I do however consider the drill as being part of valid training..

godstar
15th November 2003, 18:19
how do you practice/test yours skills

I know its really bad advice but if you want to test your skills go out and get in a real fight... Find a bad neighborhood start throwing gang signs or whatever you need...

If your doing it for self improvement.. Ask yourself are you improved? how do you feel?

If you want to argue about what style is superior then pick a debate course... I can beat 90%+ of the sparrer/sport guys in a game of judo... most of them don't really know that much about what they are promoting they are yellow belts at best... and argue much more...

Greg -Howard