PDA

View Full Version : Best Budo Writing Nomination

Dave Lowry
31st October 2003, 20:07
On this morning's "Baffling Budo" thread, Mr. Svinth counts EJ Harrison's "Fighting Arts of Japan" among books he enjoys. By coincidence, earlier this same morning I pulled a translation by Harrison off the shelf I had not looked at in years and came across a quote I herewith submit as among the best budo-related passages in English. From his translation of Oya Reikichi's book on karate, Karate-do Nyumon, and writing about the necessity of making an instant counter simultaneous with the block after receiving the final blow from semete during yakusoku kumite, Harrison adds the priceless aside:

"Perhaps the hard-boiled Western student of kinetics may feel disposed to raise his eyebrows on reading this injunction. Doubtless some allowance must be made for over-emphasis, but the sense of the passage probably is that Ukete's 'riposte' ensues so swiftly after the defence as to convey the ocular impression of a single action; the two moments merge and coalesce after the bewildering fashion of the crasis in Japanese grammar."

Cordially,

Pete Knox
31st October 2003, 23:58
Not to embarrass you, Dave, but while I also love the work of Harrison, at least as much as that of C.J. Nichol, the Rev. Kensho Furuya, and Donn Draeger, you yourself have written some much better books. I will put up Persimmon Wind and Traditions, just to pick two examples out of many, against anything else in the genre. No doubt Harrison is a brilliant tactitian of wordplay -- his sentences are precise, and his language, while sometimes a bit weighty, always lends an almost reverent feel to the topic. When you write, however, you still use the appropriate and proper language, but also convey a sense of enthusiasm that is very easy for the reader to pick up. Your love for what you do shines through on the page. As a writer, Harrison, much like Draeger, has always given me the impression that he is a scientist - you give me the impression that you are an artist. If there is anyone out there that deserves a "Best Budo Writing" nomination, it is you.

I would look through the two aforementioned books to select a specific passage to single out Mr. Lowry for the nomination, but I really don't deem it necessary, as I think the entire text of either of these would be fine. There is plenty of stuff in there that passes muster. For those of you that haven't had a chance to read any of Mr. Lowry's work (maybe there's one or two of you out there ;) ), I can't recommend it highly enough. For those of you that have, well you know what I'm talking about.

Sharp Phil
1st November 2003, 00:53
If someone asked me whose "budo writing" I enjoyed the most, the first name I would list would be "Dave Lowry."

Ron Beaubien
1st November 2003, 10:18
For the skilled use of prose Dave Lowry is at the top of my list as well.

Ron Beaubien

fifthchamber
1st November 2003, 12:06
Hello Mr. Lowry.
I agree that Mr. Harrison has a certain elegance in his choice of phrase....But I would say that some of his writings can go a touch overboard sometimes...They seem a little long-winded occasionally...But that was predominantly the way that the English language was used during his era...One we are rapidly forgetting what with the internet and "TXT" messaging today...Heh..
I enjoy the 'bluntness' (For lack of another word) of Mr. Amdurs' books...But the eloquence found in some of your own books is the best use of language that I have found in budo books generally....I would hazard a guess that you have been watching a little too much Lloyd Grossman's "Maaaster Chef" perhaps?....;)
But eloquent it certainly is.
Regards.

Joseph Svinth
1st November 2003, 22:37
American MA literature is heavily influenced by "Black Belt." The doyen of this genre is surely John Corcoran. In Britain, "Fighting Arts International" was equally influential. IMO, the overall standard of scholarship was higher in Britain, as evidenced by the writings of Graham Noble.

In mass market publications, Robert W. Smith and Donn Draeger did their best work together: They tempered one another, Draeger keeping the asides to a minimum, Smith adding a sense of public humor. Anyway, their book is a classic. At the other end of the spectrum, if you're a knife-and-gunner, then both Jeff Cooper and Mel Tappan deserve an honored place on the bookshelf.

In hardcore academic writing, I think Professor Bodiford does it as well as anybody, and his essays in Tom Green's "Martial Arts of the World: An Encyclopedia," are outstanding. Sadly, the 2-book set is priced way outside most readers' price range. Nonetheless, go to the library and read those two articles. If you have any interest in old-style Japanese martial arts, trust me on this.

If you're not familiar with Professor Bodiford, then see his article at http://www.koryubooks.com/library/wbodiford1.html . IMO, the following paragraph is about as good as it gets:

"One must struggle to imagine how any non-Japanese could call himself a 'soke' in English except as a joke. At the same time it is also difficult to regard this term with any special reverence or to become overly troubled by its misuse among self-proclaimed 'grandmasters' and 'founders.' During the Tokugawa period the word soke designated a commercial system of hereditary privilege that took advantage of the ignorance of ordinary people for financial gain. Perhaps teachers of commercial martial art schools in America who adopt the title soke for themselves are more historically accurate in their usage than they themselves realize."

Julian Gerhart
1st November 2003, 23:29
I'd also like to add my name to the Dave Lowry !!! kissing list.:nw:

Steven Malanosk
3rd November 2003, 02:58
About 10 years ago, back in NYC, my compatriots and I had an adage that basically referred to someone as a BuDo Pedantic.

We would say, "How very Dave Lowery of you."

I often did not agree with his opinions, in fact there where times when I would have liked to get my hands on him.

I fought on a competition team in the 70s that was coached by a man named Ron Jeter. Later on Jeter did breaking demos replete with circus like romping and stomping, and being called the Master Breaker. Mr. Lowery years later did an article in which he referred to Jeter as Master Bater. This of course won him no points with me.

"Jeter died of a heart attack, so leave him alone now, I was just using him as an example."

Anyway, as I said, I did not always agree or like what he wrote, but I did however see the truth in much of what pissed me off.

Pedantic? Yes, an understatement, but I must concur that his writings are way above the norm.

Actually, I also have noticed the propensity for a good majority of those on the Internet, especially on this site, to warrant the adage:

"How very Dave Lowery of most of you."

Ladies and gentleman, I give you Dave Lowery, renaissance man, trend setter, the Blackstone of BuDo.

Dont settle for an imitation.

Albeit semi tounge in cheek, this was actually meant to be complimentary.

Although he still pisses me off.

:D

don
3rd November 2003, 15:50
Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
In hardcore academic writing, I think Professor Bodiford does it as well as anybody, and his essays in Tom Green's "Martial Arts of the World: An Encyclopedia," are outstanding. Sadly, the 2-book set is priced way outside most readers' price range. Nonetheless, go to the library and read those two articles. If you have any interest in old-style Japanese martial arts, trust me on this.

I agree. The encyclopedia is excellent and Bodiford's essays shine among the others. In particular, his Religion and Sprirituality: Japan has given me pause to think deeply about formalities in my dojo which I used to take for granted. I greatly enjoyed your own contributions, too, Mr. Svinth. Thank you for them.

Allow me to ask you about the encyclopedia as you contributed to it and are a collaborator with Thomas Green on the forthcoming Martial Arts in the Modern World. Two questions:

1) Were there editorial meetings among the authors during the editing. I heard recurrent themes among the different authors' essays that I hadn't widely met with before.

2) Why was the book so expensive? It's handsome, to be sure. But black and white pictures, no glossies... As you say, it's a shame that it's out of reach to most martial artists; it really challenges a lot of shibboleths we have, heretofore, cherished. Outstanding.

(I found the encyclopedia quite by chance on the shelves of my library and put it on my Amazon wish list. Checking one day, I found it listed used for $11. Willing to gamble that small sum on a 16 fold return, I sent away for it, and, sure enough, I got a brand new copy with about six lines missing from one of the volumes' TOC--about $26 a line. Martial Arts in the Modern World has been duly added to the list.)

Walker
4th November 2003, 00:01
Can I put in a word here for the not very prolific (tragically) but always insightful Yukiyoshi Takamura (with editing by Toby Threadgill)? In particular his article covering shu ha ri is excellent. It is unfortunate he didn’t write more.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/new/article.asp?ArticleID=222

Dave Lowry
4th November 2003, 01:14
Many thanks for all the kind words here. What was so memorable about Harrison’s passage was that it managed to be simultaneously witty and xenophobic, tinged with Victorian arrogance, just short of nimiety, just long enough to amuse. It was nearly Kiplingesque. I thought other readers might join in, as some have, with other writing they found equally as entertaining.

Mr. Malanosk, I recall the column I believe you reference, from some years ago. You are incorrect. To the best of my memory, I called no one any such thing. I observed that a fellow breaking various objects with his hands presented himself at public demonstrations shouting “Master!” and encouraged crowds to respond with a shout of “Breaker!” I observed further that such ejaculations, roared by a crowd, might, in addition to being otiose, be easily be misconstrued resulting in some possible interpretations that were, presumably, not what he intended. If I am incorrect, please inform me and I shall make amends to you.

Cordially,

Steven Malanosk
4th November 2003, 02:05
Hello Mr. Lowery,

You are correct. It was the meaning behind what you said that I spoke of. Yes, Jeter Sensei was WAY over the top, funny, wild, crazy, but quite real, and could back up everything he shouted. But of course the shock factor left him open for such statements.

I have always considered your writings to be seldomly equaled and as I stated, although you have had a tendency to piss me off, your work is very much appreciated.

Back in the days before cyber conversations such as this where prevelant, it was a one way conversation, "especially your magazine writings," and I am happy to be able to converse with you now.

Hey! What ever happened to ShiroTatsu NakaMichi?

I always figured that this was a nom de plume of yours, no?

Anyway, keep up the good work, and keep on pissing us off.

It's ok.

Joseph Svinth
4th November 2003, 03:38
Don --

Eleven bucks? That has to be one of your best $11 investments ever. Jeez, I'd buy copies at that price, just so I wouldn't have to loan out my copy.

Tom's a member of E-budo, so you can ask him what the original plan was. I know he knew some of the authors personally, but most communication was, so far as I know, done via e-mail.

Regarding themes, I came on board fairly late. By that time, the encyclopedia was coming up fast on deadlines, and several authors had failed to provide promised articles. Thus, there was some scrambling going on in the background. Again, you'd have to ask Tom for details.

The price was set by the publisher, who ignored our recommendation that a less costly paperback version would have greater appeal to the general reader. Fortunately, the forthcoming book ( http://www.greenwood.com/books/BookDetail.asp?dept_id=1&sku=C8153 ) is priced more affordably ($39.95 in hardback).

Photo permissions are costly. A single Bruce Lee, for instance, starts at around $250. Museum and libraries are usually less expensive, with most charging between $25-$50 for one-time use. Even that adds up pretty fast, however, when you realize that it's easy to use a picture on every page. Consequently, one uses what one has in the closet, or does without.

Joseph Svinth
4th November 2003, 03:56
For really good writing on martial art topics, I nominate William Goldman. Scylla in "Marathon Man" and the passage in "Heat" are very good, but it's really hard to beat "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," where Goldman has Harvey Logan say, "Rules? In a knife fight? No rules!" just before Butch kicks him in the groin and says, "That's what I wanted to talk to you about."

Meanwhile, Steven will like another of my recommendations for best fiction category, namely Peter Urban's "The Karate Dojo." I don't think the book was meant to be fiction, but of course, it is. And, the ironic part is that while the story isn't true, it ought to be.

In non-fiction, Trevor Leggett deserves mention. See, for instance, http://www.budokwai.org/articles.htm#JUDO%20IN%20JAPAN , down near the bottom of the page:

QUOTE:

First broadcast by Trevor Leggett in October 1940 - on Nippon Hoso Kyokai

The idea of this little talk is to give you some notion of Judo as it is practiced in Japan itself, together with one or two sidelights which it gives on things Japanese generally. Probably most of those listening to me have heard of Judo, or Jujitsu as it is still widely known, and they will, I dare say, have the popular conception (which as it happens is a true one as far as it goes) of an extremely fast, delicate, and effective method of self defense. It is all that -- but a great deal besides.

Maybe a good introduction would be to ask you to walk with me into the main practice hall of the Kodo-kwan, the Headquarters of Judo in Japan. As we round the corner you will probably be startled by a tremendous bang, and feel the floor shake slightly, but you needn't mind that.

You see before you a great hall, nearly square, with a very high roof. The floor is covered with smooth tatami, or Japanese straw mats, which reflect the afternoon sun pleasantly and give an atmosphere of lightness and airiness to the whole place. Just in front of us a man is getting to his feet -- yes, that was the bang you heard, his opponent threw him. But he isn't a bit hurt. For one thing, he is an expert at falling, and knows how to turn his body and what to do to ensure that his muscles take all the shock of the fall, and for another, the whole floor is sprung so that even a slight jump will make it give. Now suppose we take a look at him as he moves up to his opponent, who is waiting for him.

They are both wearing a white jacket and trousers of strong but soft material and a black belt. They take hold very quickly and lightly, seeming just to touch each other, and immediately begin to move rapidly about the floor. They don't tug or push each other, they don't strain violently -- that would endanger their own balance. They're just trying to find an opportunity. There it comes… an incautious step, and one of them describes a half circle through the air and comes down, seemingly hurled to the ground with tremendous force. But he's up on his feet again at once, and off they go once more.

You probably didn't see the technique -- it was rather quick, and anyway we needn't go into that now. But suppose we take the general atmosphere of the place, what impresses one most is the feeling of quiet, almost of solemnity, pervading it. Those who are not playing don't lounge about and chatter; they sit or stand upright, and there is no laughing or joking. The faces of the players themselves express complete concentration. If you play Judo yourself you will know that is the only way -- it is far too potent a thing to be taken lightly or treated as a toy.

Another thing that will strike you is the politeness and formality surrounding the practice of the art. The two players salute each other with the deep Japanese bow. Over there you can see one of the head teachers with an absolute novice, about to begin a lesson. They start off just the same with the ceremonial bow -- in that way the novice shows his respect for the teacher, and the teacher also respects him as a devotee of the art, no matter how great the disparity of skill.

Everyone in the class goes at it hard during the whole practice, and hardly a word is exchanged from beginning to end, except for a few brief sentences now and then from the teacher, always very much to the point. The teacher himself goes to have his bath a few minutes before the end of the practice. He may then chat to the Captain for a few minutes, and drop a few words of advice, and then takes his leave. The practice is over.

And immediately everyone relaxes. All their natural Japanese cheerfulness comes out. The practice is over, and you can smoke and talk freely, and joke as much as you like. In the next room is a huge bath of steaming hot water where one can soak, and afterwards return to cool off clad in nothing but a towel. Some tea and cakes are brought in, and you can spend a pleasant half hour with some of the jolliest, kindest, and most unaffected friends you could meet anywhere in the world.

END Quote

Steven Malanosk
4th November 2003, 04:05
Ahhhhh! Here we go again!

Hi Joe,

Actually, THE KARATE DOJO, is an accurate account of Zen Nippon GoJu Kai and what Sensei experienced in Japan, and of course the "Stories."

The beggining of the STORY section, has a disclaimer stating that the following was an account of what may have been. Based on stories that he was told by his teachers, and his own imagination.

Sensei was in his early 20's at the time, and fresh back from Japan.

So, the Motobu bit and a few of the others where definately fiction.

But a classic none the less.

Steven Malanosk
4th November 2003, 04:09
Oh, and by the way:

You remember the beggining of the TV show KUNG FU, where Caine pics up the red hot urn with his forearms, burning the dragon and tiger into his flesh.

They ripped off the idea from one of the stories in KARATE DOJO!

And yes............... that was most definately an URBAN myth.

Joseph Svinth
4th November 2003, 04:37
Which brings us back to William Goldman, who started out "Butch Casiddy" with the words: "Not that it matters, but most of what follows is true."

:)

don
4th November 2003, 19:13
Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
Regarding themes....The price....Photo permissions

You mean...the publishers get a say?! :)

Thanks for the low-down.

Tom Green
4th November 2003, 22:35
Don,

I'd say you made the deal of the year, if not of the decade.

Thanks for the kind words about the encyclopedia. Joe Svinth answered your questions well, but from the horse's mouth...

Board Members: The only meetings the board ever had were of the minds. I wish I could say I planned that, but it was more a lucky accident than any plan on my part. I think it was due to my being able to get board members who do their homework and in many cases even read, write and speak the appropriate languages. The board members were aware of who does the best work in a given area and helped make contacts with those people.

Price: Embarrassing. As Joe mentioned, the publisher has remained impervious to requests to come out with a less expensive version, and he covers the reasons for the high price tag in this format. Publishers who go in for encyclopedias generally see their market as libraries that have budgets that can cover something much too expensive for me to buy for my personal library.

I hope that answers your questions. If not, feel free to post or get in touch through e-mail.

Regards,

Tom Green

Dave Lowry
5th November 2003, 18:01
All,
Apologies for intruding on the discussion here, but the recent exchange between Mr. Malanosk and myself bears some examination. And this morning, feet still wrinkled and chill from training out in a cold, soggy field, irritated at having to make an extra trip to the store for pine nuts for tonight’s pesto, I’m just the cranky, out of sorts bastard to try to do it.

Mr. Malanosk, in an otherwise fairly reasonable criticism of my work, noted I once in print referred to someone in a derogatory way. No, I did not, I responded, and explained what I had written. To his credit and character, Mr. Malanosk acknowledged the correction without equivocation. He is a gentleman.

But the exchange illuminates a frequent problem here, one we see increasingly in all manner of public discourse. Accusations are made, either without ever checking the facts, or—and this is what is troublesome—by ignoring the facts or grossly manipulating them to suit one’s ideology or point of view.
For years, I’d read accusations of “koryu snobbery.” Providing a forum to put up or shut up in part agitated an essay of mine Mr. Lindsey was kind enough to post on this site. Give us all some examples more substantial than vague and largely anonymous innuendo, I suggested. How many did we get? One. And that one turned out to be patently false, an inaccurate quotation of something that was never said. It was relatively easy to uncover the inaccuracy. We simply went to the internet site where the alleged calumny was printed. The accuser could have checked that site and accurately quoted it. He did not. He wanted to find an insult and so instead of reading what was written, I suspect, he read into it. Then "remembered” it in such a way, I suppose, it became a fact in his mind. It was convenient for him to develop this interpretation, one ventures, because it fortified his point of view.

To be sure, the direct ramifications of these unfounded accusations in our little discussions here are hardly earthshaking. They reflect, though, a similar problem pervading our society. In another thread on this site yesterday appeared the accusation the current administration in Washington is preventing the media from filming the remains of US soldiers being off-loaded at a military airport, citing it as an example of the perfidy of Bush and his cohort. The charge is nonsense. While the Bush Administration chose to enforce it for reasons about which we could reasonably argue or speculate, the Pentagon instituted the policy during the Clinton Administration. So correction: the accusation is more than nonsense. It is a deception, one fuelled either by ignorance or a deliberate ideology where truth is less critical than scoring a political point. Given the resources of the internet alone, the writer could have checked his facts before making such a charge. Why didn’t he? Because it was something he wished to believe since it upholstered his political persuasions? Similarly, Al Gore was ridiculed for claiming to have “invented the internet.” It was fairly simple to discover he’d never made such a claim. But those opposed to his political positions gleefully repeated it and it is accepted as a “fact” by those antagonistic to Gore.
The corespondent who wasted space on this site making that ridiculous statement about an administration’s evil intent at censorship should be ashamed of himself. Chances are, he won’t be. He will likely be too busy moving on to some other distortions. Because he is apparently energized, as are so many others today, not by a desire to find the truth, but to pursue an agenda.
(And yes, it is reasonable to make the point that while the policy was instituted some time ago, it is the current administration that has chosen to enforce it. That’s a good argument. But when you have chosen to falsify or fail to check a priori facts, how much respect can you expect for further discussions? That's just one problem with cooking the facts. When you do, and it is revealed, nobody with any sense of taste wants to stay around for the rest of the meal.)

It is ironic that in an age where more information is available to us than ever before, that we seem to rely less and less on that information. It is despicable when we present something we know to be false or when we are too lazy to make use of such resources. In some circles it has become a verity, for instance, that Bush insisted Iraq represented to the US an imminent threat as a fundamental rationale for invasion. In a state of the union address heard by millions and read by millions more, he said almost precisely the opposite. “Well, we know what he meant,” is the smug rejoinder from those alerted to the fact. Which is reflected by another correspondent here who, once challenged by facts I presented repudiating his false statements, responded with something along the lines of “Well, ‘technically’ you’re right, but…” Exactly. The facts don’t matter. The facts are a “technicality.”

Perhaps I am overreacting. Even so, as I write, two events occur almost simultaneously. On a morning television programme in the other room I can still hear the howling of a Hollywood tribal shaman. He claims grievous wounds inflicted by the “censorship” in which a network was caught deliberately falsifying historical facts about a former president and, hounded by widespread public outrage and complaints from prospective sponsors, canceled the showing. He is clearly unconcerned about the egregious distortion of some facts and outright falsehood of others. He is more concerned that his political ideology has suffered a setback. At the same time, I get an e-mail, one from a friend to tell me about a web-chat he’s just read. A student of a martial ryu of obviously, demonstrably fraudulent provenance is making tergiversations to try to explain away county-size holes in the “history” of his teacher. Ten minutes of quiet, objective contemplation of the known facts, not to mention common sense, would reveal to this fellow just how absurd is his defence. I suspect he would rather exfoliate with a cheese grater than indulge in such an exercise. His ideology is more cherished than any facts.

So, overreacting? Maybe. But look guys; having perspectives, strong political opinions, and views on everything from government to budo is a vital part of being a mature human. However, when our perspectives, our ideologies, our sense of ourselves and our world become more important than facts and more important than an honest search for the truth, we risk stepping into a pile of something that makes the intellectual adumbrations of the Dark Ages look like shining rays of sunshine in an era of enlightenment.

Cordially,

Walker
5th November 2003, 18:33
Yo Dave, word! :cool:

Jason Couch
5th November 2003, 18:52
Interesting discussion. I personally don't care much for Dave Lowry's writing style. Although I'm sure it's not, it has always seemed like an affectation to me.

That said, he can certainly convey his experiences well. I'm not sure which book it was in, but I thought the chapter that discussed his beginnings in karate really rang true. So while I can certainly see why others enjoy his writing, it's just not my cup of tea. Sorry, Dave :-)

Jeff Cook
5th November 2003, 20:03
Personally, I appreciate that Mr. Lowry does not dumb-down his writing. Many writers are afraid to write above the general reading level of the audience; they are afraid of being accused of being verbose, snobbish, and affectatious.

I like reading Mr. Lowry's writings; he not only improves my general MA knowledge, he also improves my spelling and grammar, and expands my vocabulary. Besides, if he is a snob - so what?! He is an interesting and enlightening one (not saying that you are, Mr. Lowry - just being hypothetical!).

By the way, does anybody here think that Mr. Lowry and Mr. Svinth are either (1) cousins, or (2) the same person? ;)

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

Jason Couch
5th November 2003, 23:34
Originally posted by Jeff Cook
Personally, I appreciate that Mr. Lowry does not dumb-down his writing. Many writers are afraid to write above the general reading level of the audience; they are afraid of being accused of being verbose, snobbish, and affectatious.

Golly, then maybe it's not a style thing at all, maybe it's them thar big city words he uses that's got me all flummoxed.

Joseph Svinth
6th November 2003, 03:40
Jeff --

You have to dumb down if you have any hope of getting field grade officers and generals to understand anything you write. Meanwhile, if you want to get it past warrant officers, master sergeants, and captains, you have to have your documentation correct. Finally, you can't lie as much as the general expects, otherwise the privates will know you're just another windbag.

There is little hope, however, in ever writing anything clearly enough that either sergeants major or second lieutenants will comprehend.

Finny
11th November 2003, 07:43
Someone mentioned looking for specific articles of Mr Lowry's to nominate as best, and having recently read 'Traditions', I thought I'd try my hand...

'Ryomi' is just awesome... nuff said.
'A Puppy Dog's Bark' REALLY meant alot to me.. around the time I bought the book, I'd had a couple of 'altercations' with my friend's housemate, who rather rudely threw me out of his house-twice, for no good reason at all. Both times I eventually went, after trying to reason with the freak (he's Colombian and doesn't articulate himself terribly well), both times he was quite verbally aggressive, and to my mind, I would have been well within my rights to floor him. I am quite sure I wouldn't have had a problem in dealing with him, but I was really frustrated with myself for just agreeing and leaving both times-but I figured it is his house, right. Anyway, the article seemed like a message ('he's not worth the assault charge' or something like that) and helped nurse my wounded pride.

Also 'Death of a Warrior' and 'Yuyo' are exceptional pieces, very cool.

As you can see, I've only read 'Traditions' so far, but the others will come soon.

Thanks for sharing your knowlege with the rest of us, Mr Lowry

Ellis Amdur
12th December 2003, 07:24
Harry Crews, who is one of the most warped human beings on the planet, wrote a book called Karate is a Thing of the Spirit. I love the man's southern Gothic on methamphetamine imagination. Other novels "focus" on snake-handling, repo men, body building.

He also had a beautiful piece in Playboy in the sixties, talking about riding cross-country on a motorcycle to outrun a bad divorce, and walking into a restaurant at midnight, and only realizing after he sits down that he's on the Blackfoot reservation, and he ends up in a fight with a one-legged war-veteran Indian after he, the waiter, responds to his order of eggs by stubbing out his cigar into a pile of egg leavings on another plate and handing it to him, and after getting his !!! kicked, and thrown out of the restaurant, lies in the gravel, looking up at the stars, musing that there are times in a man's life that the only answer is an !!!-kicking and whether you kick someone else's !!! or get yours kicked yourself is really immaterial - the clarity is the same.

Ellis Amdur

Mekugi
12th December 2003, 07:56
I wanna add too this best budo writers list out in plain B&W:

Ellis Amdur and the Skoss' (both Meik and Diane). I always enjoy Ellis Amdur's narrative in his work, and the research and clarity in the Skoss' have always been refreshing.

Mekugi
12th December 2003, 16:28
Ohhh...Joseph Svinth as well...Kudos to EJMAS.