PDA

View Full Version : Print: Executioner

John Lindsey
5th October 2000, 04:44
<center>http://www.e-budo.com/pics/execution.jpg</center>

Kamuii
5th October 2000, 04:47
John:

This art work looks totally different than all the previous ones you have posted..., different texture...

Best,

Arnold Vargas
Genbukan Satoichi Dojo
&
Tsunami-Ryu Bujutsu

ghp
6th October 2000, 03:56
Arnold,

It looks like a posed hand-colored daguerro-type. What is it, John?

I saw a tin type (or daguerro type) ca 1865 called "The Execution Grounds" once -- If my mind isn't playing tricks on me, a severed head (or two) was displayed on a "display stand" on the grounds. The photographer was an English "gentleman of means" who traveled to Japan; I understand the photo is no longer displayed in books because his descendants disapprove.

Regards,
Guy

Kamuii
6th October 2000, 05:51
Guy,

Interesting indeed, lets see if John can tell us a little more about it... Yes, different texture indeed.

Best,

Arnold

John Lindsey
7th October 2000, 14:17
This came from a very old postcard. The scan was all I had to work with and I could not tell if it was a picture or not.

W.Bodiford
23rd October 2000, 19:48
A photograph similar to the one described by Guy Powers can be found in the book: *Travels in the Land of the Gods (1898--1907): The Japan Diaries of Richard Gordon Smith* (New York: Prentice Hall, 1986), p. 22. It depicts three human heads on a wooden stand in the foreground and a person being crucified in the background. It appears in the diary entry for 29 Dec. 1898. R.G. Smith says that the photographer was Japanese and that the date of the event in the photograph is unknown.

ghp
24th October 2000, 05:03
Dr. Bodiford,

Thanks for the citation! I don't remember the crucifixion scene ... I suppose I was too transfixed (ouch -- pun intentional) with the severed heads.

Regards,
Guy

Azamat Oulbachev
27th March 2001, 08:39
nice photo

George Kohler
10th March 2003, 20:08
link fixed