PDA

View Full Version : Zatoichi reincarnate?

koma
5th November 2003, 08:51
Has anyone seen the new Zatoichi, Directed by and staring Beat Takeshi?
Is it available on DVD yet?
Although Shintaro Katsu will always "be" Zatoichi, I think Takeshi might be the only one to be able to pull off a reincanation.:D

Karyu
5th November 2003, 10:37
I'm told that Miramax has picked it up for limited release in 2004.

Vapour
5th November 2003, 13:03
Trailer and Teaser

http://office-kitano.co.jp/zatoichi/trailer_main.html

Mekugi
6th November 2003, 01:47
Zatoichi again! (http://office-kitano.co.jp/zatoichi/)

More Zatoichi....good movie....reality? No. Fun? Heck yeah!! Well made? Kitano is a master IMHO.

-R

Kimpatsu
6th November 2003, 02:30
I saw Zatoichi about a month ago. Good movie, but don't expect any reality vis-a-vis life in Edo Japan.

Kobe
6th November 2003, 03:00
I saw it a few days ago. I did not like it at all. The special effects were so poor(the blood........) and some parts of the movie were like a joke like the part of claqué dancing.
The only good thing it was the music, fantastic.

Kimpatsu
6th November 2003, 04:11
The dancing is called geta tap, and is a Japanese take on tap dancing. That's what makes the movie so innovative: Beat Takeshi took elements from different cultures and wove them into the fabric of his story. And are you sure you saw Zatoichi? The SFX were first-rate, including the slicing and dicing. What was wrong with the blood? It fountained exactly as one would expect.
"Who'd have thought the old man would have so much blood in him?"

Kobe
6th November 2003, 04:42
Tony,
To make a good movie its not as easy as to mix things, you should know how to mix. About the blood, well I do not know if I can explain clear enough as english is not my mother tongue, but the blood it was animated, blood was not there and it was so easy to make out.
Anyway, to like a movie or not is, many times, a question of perception and taste. In my case, I did not like it and generally speaking, I´m not very fond of Takeshi.
regards,

Kimpatsu
6th November 2003, 04:44
If you're not fond of Takeshi, why bother with his movies?
Of course the blood wasn't real; killing actors would have quite an impact on movie completion bond insurance, for a start. I didn't find it terribly unrealistic, though. Anyway, the point of the movie wasn't gratuitous violence; there was a story, and the identity of the kuromaku wasn't revealed until the end.

Kobe
6th November 2003, 04:46
BTW Tony,
I´m curious, is that geta tap a tradicional japanese dancing, or is like a copy of tap dance? I never heard or saw it before.
Thank you,

Kimpatsu
6th November 2003, 04:51
Originally posted by Kobe
BTW Tony, I´m curious, is that geta tap a tradicional japanese dancing, or is like a copy of tap dance? I never heard or saw it before.
Thank you,
It's tap dancing wearing geta and yukata, thus combining a Western dance style with traditional Japanese elements. Takeshi seems to like such fusions.

Kobe
6th November 2003, 04:51
ok Tony, let´s start again.
My english is worse than I tough or your ironic is so sharp.
Of course I did not mean if the blood was REAL, what I mean is that the liquid that is suppose to be blood it was not there, it was recreated after by computer animation, and it was too easy to make it out, I mean it did not look real at all to me.
About to see the movie even I´m not so fond of Takeshi, well I´m very nice guy and I like to give second and even third chances.;)

Kimpatsu
6th November 2003, 04:58
I know the blood was CGI; I also thought that was more realistic than using tomato ketchup. As to second and third chances, that sounds like the recipe of a glutton for punishment.

Kobe
6th November 2003, 05:09
Some wines are getting better with the time. Some people becomes wiser when older, so, why not Takeshi can become a good director???
;) Give him some time and maybe one day he will see the light!!

Kimpatsu
6th November 2003, 05:12
Takeshi already is a good writer/director, and actor. Before Zatoichi, there was "Sonatine". Takeshi's work isn't changing; you're finally developing a sense of appreciation. ;)

Kobe
6th November 2003, 05:15
To me, his most impressive work it was his commercial of Jhonny Walker!!!!!:D
As I said, its a question of tastes.
Enjoy Bito Takeshi!!!

Kimpatsu
6th November 2003, 05:33
Originally posted by Kobe
To me, his most impressive work it was his commercial of Jhonny Walker!!!!!:D
As I said, its a question of tastes.
Enjoy Bito Takeshi!!!
If Johnny walker is any indication of your taste, no wonder you don't like Beat Takeshi. Some of us, however, avoid rotgut in any form...
:beer:

CKohalyk
6th November 2003, 07:20
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
Takeshi already is a good writer/director, and actor. Before Zatoichi, there was "Sonatine". Takeshi's work isn't changing; you're finally developing a sense of appreciation. ;)

Personally I think it is changing... and getting worse. He peaked at Hanabi.

Oh and the blood? WAAAY better in Kill Bill ;)

:toast:

Kimpatsu
6th November 2003, 07:28
Originally posted by CKohalyk
Oh and the blood? WAAAY better in Kill Bill ;)
Silly rabbit.

koma
6th November 2003, 08:02
Thanks for the replys. I'm sure Takeshi won't disappoint me.:D

StanLee
7th November 2003, 11:43
Zatoichi was shown in London on Wednesday night as part of a film festival.

Unfortunately, it was already sold out by last saturday.

Bugger it! I'm just going have to wait even longer now and I bet half of those who went to see the movie wasn't even interested in the swordplay! Humf!:mad:

fifthchamber
8th November 2003, 13:10
Hi Stan...
Yup....I tried to get them thar tickets too...All gone by the time I had loaded up the page....Sod it!....
Just as long as those who went don't moan about how it was all fake blood and bad CGI....It looks great to me!...
Regards..

koma
9th November 2003, 07:04
I've seen the trailer and it looks to be good. Maybe a little a darker in feeling than the originals, we'll just have to see. I'm expecting it to be good seeing that Takeshi is behind the camera as well as in front.:D