PDA

View Full Version : Koryu in Maryland?

Kokorou
7th November 2003, 02:06
Good evening everyone....

I'm looking for information regarding Koryu schools in the Maryland/DC/NoVA area. I haven't been successful in finding one as of yet, so if you know of one I would really appreciate the information.

There's a lot of information for me to digest on this website, so I will look as I can and try to clarify exactly what I'm looking for.

I have been studying Jujitsu here in baltimore for a while, and last year studied at the Shobukan dojo in DC, but it's a bit of a haul and as life goes, school and work must come before budo lest I be broke
:(

Hopefully I'll change that one day.

The bottom line is that I want to see more of the traditional stuff than I have in the past; I want a better understanding of 'why' instead of 'how'.

Thank you in advance!

Alainna Wonders
Wandering so'more...

will
7th November 2003, 11:43
Greg Huff teaches Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido in Woodbridge at his Eishinkai (http://eishinkai.homestead.com).

I know there are several Shinto Muso Ryu Jo groups around the area. Check the Koryu.com (http://koryu.com) website's info on SMR (http://koryu.com/guide/muso.html) or check out Shelby's Jo Links Page (http://www.shelby.at/budo/jodo.html).

If you do a search of the forums I'm sure you will find plenty more stuff.

Snowtiger
7th November 2003, 11:55
Ask these guys: http://www.aikimartialarts.com/

R A Sosnowski
7th November 2003, 12:56
Koryu covers a wide range of arts.

Are you looking for something specific?

Jujutsu? Kenjutsu? Naginata-jutsu?

Kokorou
10th November 2003, 14:44
Originally posted by R A Sosnowski
Koryu covers a wide range of arts.

Are you looking for something specific?

Jujutsu? Kenjutsu? Naginata-jutsu?

Specifically more interested in Jujutsu arts...

Thank you :)

Ron Tisdale
10th November 2003, 15:16
Then I would definately recommend you check out the aikimartialarts link above...John Goss is an excellent instructor, and his dojo is associated with Kondo K. Sensei of the Mainline tradition of Daito ryu aikijujutsu. I've trained there several times, and always had an excellent time, and learned a lot. Good group of folks.

Ron

David A. Hall
14th November 2003, 02:53
There are a few in this area.

If you are particularly interested in late period jujutsu-type arts in the Baltimore area, I see that someone has already mentioned the Daito Ryu group. If you are interested in a jujutsu school that is more weapons-oriented, I'd recommend Masaki Ryu. One of Nawa Sensei's senior license holders is located in Northern Virginia.

There are several Shindo Muso Ryu jo groups in the area including mine--the Hobyokan. We also have trainees in Jiki Shinkage Ryu and Yagyu Shinkage Ryu...but jujutsu-like techniques are minimal in these ryu.

Good luck.

Kokorou
14th November 2003, 12:09
Originally posted by David A. Hall
There are a few in this area.

If you are particularly interested in late period jujutsu-type arts in the Baltimore area, I see that someone has already mentioned the Daito Ryu group. If you are interested in a jujutsu school that is more weapons-oriented, I'd recommend Masaki Ryu. One of Nawa Sensei's senior license holders is located in Northern Virginia.

There are several Shindo Muso Ryu jo groups in the area including mine--the Hobyokan. We also have trainees in Jiki Shinkage Ryu and Yagyu Shinkage Ryu...but jujutsu-like techniques are minimal in these ryu.

Good luck.

Thanks for your note. I'm really interested in the Masaki Ryu Dojo and the Yagyu Shinkage Ryu dojo... How can I get in touch with these two?

Thanks!!

ghp
16th November 2003, 19:37
The Masaki Ryu senior license holder has told me he is reluctant to take on new students. He does not advertise, nor does he want people to publish his contact information.

Sorry.

Rick Polland, near Annapolis, teaches some koryu-derived restraining waza that are used by the Japanese police. See http://www.jodo.com Unfortunately, he does not seem to teach jujutsu.

--Guy

Kokorou
16th November 2003, 21:38
Originally posted by ghp
The Masaki Ryu senior license holder has told me he is reluctant to take on new students. He does not advertise, nor does he want people to publish his contact information.

This is understandable.
If he ever does decide to take on new students, I would be interested in the opportunity. He can reach me at acwonders-at-comcast-dot-net.

Thanks for the information.

Jack B
17th November 2003, 14:25
If you are really interested, you should try harder, and not on the Internet.

Kokorou
17th November 2003, 15:55
Originally posted by Jack B
If you are really interested, you should try harder, and not on the Internet.

What do you mean by 'try harder'? Why bug people that are not interested in taking on new students? I'm not out to annoy people, and I certainly do not want to do that because if they DO decide that they want new students, here I am sitting patiently and waiting. I am attempting to handle my questions mindfully; not in an invasive and possibly offensive way.

And why NOT the Internet? Look at all the people I've discussed the topic with in the short period of two weeks. And where, if not the Internet, would you suggest I get information? This is the most widely pulled resource for information. Why forsake it?

I don't understand why you would make such a statement.

BigJon
17th November 2003, 16:07
Check your PM's.......

ghp
17th November 2003, 21:16
Kokorou,

Please contact me for a message from our sponsor.

--Guy

Scott Irey
17th November 2003, 22:53
Originally posted by Kokorou
I don't understand why you would make such a statement.

As they say..."If you have to ask....."

bakumatsu
17th November 2003, 23:32
Guy;

Actually, the Masakiryu is not really closed. I have met with and trained very briefly with this gentleman. He is a direct student of Sensei Yumio Nawa for whom he has a tremendous amount of respect. He is very skilled in Masakiryu Manriki and Kusarigama as well as Jutte and Torinawa. Best I have seen outside of Japan.

I think the low profile is due to his deep respect for Sensei Nawa.

Please contact me by email and I can provide contact information.

Thanks;

Ed Harris

ghp
18th November 2003, 02:31
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the great info. Actually, I just received a short note earlier today from JQ telling me the same thing -- that's why I asked Kokorou to contact me: I'll pass on the contact info.

Regards,
Guy

Jack B
18th November 2003, 20:13
If you are really interested, you should try harder, and not on the Internet. Sorry for the misunderstanding; I did not mean to never use the Internet. Only that it may begin with inquiries such as you have made, but must move off public fora into personal contact. Which it has. Good luck.

Also 'try harder" means not to give up so easily. Sitting and waiting to be contacted is not a very effective to accomplish anything. Respectful persistence might be.

"Sincerity is where it's at -- if you can fake that, you've got it made." - Daniel Schorr ;)

Kokorou
19th November 2003, 11:27
Sitting and waiting to be contacted is not a very effective to accomplish anything. Respectful persistence might be.
[/B]

The problem is that it's a very thin line between respectful persistence and annoyance, and I REALLY don't want to make anyone uncomfortable or annoyed ;)

Thanks though... I'll work on being more persistent...