PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

joe yang
8th November 2003, 11:50
I remember a "must have" piece of furniture back in the 70s, the tree top table. These where big, gnarley coffee tables made from a cross section of tree trunk. Where did they all go? Everybody had one. There aren't any around anymore?

Gene Williams
8th November 2003, 14:52
We could go chop down a giant Sequoia and cut it up and make some. We could do it after we attend the Spotted Owl smashing contest on our way to the dolphin shoot:D

n2shotokai
8th November 2003, 16:10
Burl is still available here. In the 70's and 80's all along highway 1 in the Northern California was littered with shops, gas stations etc. selling them.

There is a nice one at the local hardwood store. It is approx. 8ft x 3 ft and I am guessing it weighs about 200+ lbs. I think it is about $800. How would you like it shipped?

While the burl is a small cross section of the tree at it's base, larger cross sections of smaller trees were also popular then. They looked like a tree stump come out of your floor. Most people used polyurethane for a finish.

Shitoryu Dude
8th November 2003, 16:14
Now they make them into wall hangings, clocks, art, etc.

I kind of liked them - suitable for a deck at your summer cabin.

:beer:

Brian Owens
8th November 2003, 21:43
Originally posted by joe yang
I remember a "must have" piece of furniture back in the 70s, the tree top table. These where big, gnarley coffee tables made from a cross section of tree trunk.

Where did they all go?
They died and went to disco heaven along with leisure suits, shag carpet, beanbag chairs, lava lamps, and fondue parties.

Some of these items are making a comeback. I had a fondue party a few weeks ago. But not just fondue. Salads and regular dessert, with the fondue as the main atraction.

I played an old BeeGees 8-Track as a gag. Surprised my old 8-track player still worked!

Ah, the '70s! Great memories!

Joseph Svinth
8th November 2003, 23:14
Have you got any idea how much work is involved in making a burl table? My grandfather was a logger, and from the 1960s until his death, he worked mostly around Redding, Yreka, that area. And so the burl we got measured at least 5' x 3', and was about 8" thick. They're chainsawed, of course. Ever tried removing chain saw gouges with a belt sander? You're there for days. And yes, the finish is polyurethane, which means more belt sanding between coats...

Anyway, the weight is indeed 100-lb plus, and it is just the right size for a very large room.

David T Anderson
9th November 2003, 16:08
Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
They died and went to disco heaven along with leisure suits, shag carpet, beanbag chairs, lava lamps , and fondue parties.

Lava lamps never went away! I've got two of them...one on my desk at work and one atop my big screen TV...gotta love lava!

Brian Owens
9th November 2003, 18:54
Originally posted by David T Anderson
Lava lamps never went away! I've got two of them...one on my desk at work and one atop my big screen TV...gotta love lava!
Maybe Calgary is Disco Heaven!
What kind of carpet do you have? :D