PDA

View Full Version : Fijians say sorry for eating missionary

larsen_huw
13th November 2003, 09:15
From Yahoo News:

----------------------------
Fijians say sorry for eating missionary

By Malakai Veisamasama

NUBUTAUTAU, Fiji (Reuters) - Villagers in Fiji's rugged mountain interior have wept as they apologised to descendants of a British missionary killed and eaten by their ancestors more than 130 years ago.

The inhabitants of the tiny settlement of Nubutautau and the descendants of the Reverend Thomas Baker were taking part in a complex reconciliation ritual, which the villagers hope will lift a curse they blame for an extended run of bad luck.

Cannibals killed Baker in 1867 and ate him after a perceived slight against the then village chief, even boiling his leather boots with the local vegetable, bele, in an act which villagers say resulted in the curse.

"The tears were from our hearts deep inside because we have waited for so long for this moment," village spokesman Tomasi Baravilala told Reuters. "That's our belief, we are Christians and today we will be set free from the curse."

In the reconciliation ritual known as "ai sorotabu", 100 rare sperm whale teeth, or tabua, were given to 11 of Methodist missionary Baker's descendants, who travelled from Australia for the ceremony in the impoverished village.

Baker's bible, comb and the soles of his boots were handed back to his descendants and will be kept in the Fiji Museum in the capital Suva.

Nubutautau villagers had unsuccessfully tried to eat the boots after Baker and eight Fijian followers were clubbed to death on a cliff in the South Pacific nation once known as The Cannibal Isles.

"LONG PIG"

Cannibalism was widespread in the former British colony, with human flesh described as "long pig", until the practice was outlawed in the late 19th century. Baker's death was among the last recorded incidences of cannibalism.

Despite its fierce heritage, Fiji, a mix of Christians and Hindus, is now a deeply religious nation of about 840,000 people. Traditional village chiefs, or ratus, still hold great influence over the predominantly Melanesian population.

"It was a very, very emotional scene last night. It just proves how genuine the hurt has been for the people of Nubutautau," Baker's great-great-great grandson Dennis Russell told Reuters after meeting villagers late on Wednesday.

"Just to see where my great-great-great grandfather travelled to bring the Gospel was something else, and to see where he died was an experience I will never forget."

Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase and members of Fiji's influential Great Council of Chiefs were among about 2,000 people who attended Thursday's ceremony.

Russell and other family members joined villagers in a feast later on Thursday to celebrate the lifting of the curse.

Nubutautau, with a population of about 120, is in the mountainous interior of Fiji's main island Viti Levu north of Suva. It is accessible only by a logging track hacked into the side of a mountain.

Villagers believe Nubutautau has been cursed since Baker's slaying. While Viti Levu's rain-soaked interior is lushly tropical, vegetation around Nubutautau is scant and villagers still hunt for food.

The village has no electricity and few other services. Local children walk 25 km (15 miles) to and from the nearest school each week.

-----------------------------

Now i know what to do next time the Jahovah's come knocking trying to convert me! :D

rinpoche
13th November 2003, 13:26
Russell and other family members joined villagers in a feast later on Thursday to celebrate the lifting of the curse.

I wonder what they served?

larsen_huw
13th November 2003, 13:27
Originally posted by rinpoche
I wonder what they served?

I dunno ..... just hope it wasn't the good old english desert: Spotted Dick! :D

Cady Goldfield
13th November 2003, 14:32
Gives a whole new meaning to "you're invited for dinner." Wonder if the missionary's descendents pondered that before they accepted?

StanLee
13th November 2003, 16:18
Common' people. The fujians are trying to pull a fast one again.

By inviting the familes of the eaten missionary to make an apology, they're gearing up for the big eat part deur (fr sp?)!

:D :D

Julian Gerhart
13th November 2003, 16:25
i smell a long string of tony puns on the way

Cady Goldfield
13th November 2003, 18:41
*Sniff* *Sniff*
No, it smells more like Fijian Missionary-Descendents Stew. :D

David T Anderson
13th November 2003, 21:17
I think I'd feel better about those folks if they had eaten more missionaries.

Now if they started chowing down on politicians, they'd really be on to something...but I understand that pols are practically impossible to clean...

StanLee
14th November 2003, 07:14
Originally posted by David T Anderson
I think I'd feel better about those folks if they had eaten more missionaries.

Now if they started chowing down on politicians, they'd really be on to something...but I understand that pols are practically impossible to clean...

But really David, do you know how awful those politicians would taste? Not even stewing them for hours would instill any kind of flavouring. Besides, they're all bone and grisle.

I think the Fuijians know well enough to stay clear of them.:D

TenguAteMyPuppy
14th November 2003, 08:31
Wait... what are they sorry for?

Senjojutsu
15th November 2003, 04:39
Local children walk 25 km (15 miles) to and from the nearest school each week.
American e-Budo members over the age of thirty will recognize that this must be the mythical childhood neighborhood of their parents/grandparents school days.

That our elders lectured, berated and reminded us about - as in:

"When I was your age we didn't have school buses. Every day I had to walk miles to get to my schoolhouse! I had to walk in tattered used shoes, in either the blazing heat, torrential rain or winter snow - the wind in my face - uphill - both ways"!
:D   :laugh:

spartanmachine
15th November 2003, 22:20
"Russell and other family members joined villagers in a feast later on Thursday to celebrate the lifting of the curse."

Who did they eat???

Cady Goldfield
15th November 2003, 23:32
There was a photo in the paper, yesterday, of Russell and the current chief. The chief is kissing Russell on the ear, and I swear it looks like he's just getting in a taste... :D

John Lindsey
16th November 2003, 17:38
Sad news:

The curse is back on. Turns out that they had a bit too much to drink before going out to a certain Sushi bar in Seattle. They ate more than just the fish...

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22757