PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Dojo in Japan

kobukai
13th November 2003, 16:31
What is the oldest continuously operating dojo in Japan? Maybe with a breakdown of Jujutsu, Judo, Karate, Sumo, Kyudo, Naginata, etc.

Thanks

David A. Hall
14th November 2003, 02:44
I would have to make a guess on that, but I believe two close contenders would be the the old Katori Shinto Ryu dojo and the Maniwa Nen Ryu dojo. Not the newer Katori Shinto Ryu dojo at Otake Sensei's house. The old one at Iizasa Sensei's home which backs up against Katori Shrine. Unfortunately, I don't know the actual age of the building. Perhaps Phil Relnick or Larry Bieri would know the age?

A second contender would be the Nen Ryu dojo at the late Higuchi Sensei's home in Maniwa. That building is several hundred years old...but I don't know how old. Perhaps Bill Jensen would know as he has trained there for many years.

don
14th November 2003, 16:20
Originally posted by David A. Hall
I would have to make a guess on that, but I believe two close contenders would be the the old Katori Shinto Ryu dojo

FWIW, I was told that this one was 600 years old. Have no way to verify the date myself.

Btw, really enjoyed your article on Marishten in the Skoss book. Thanks for that.

bill jensen
16th November 2003, 12:15
The Koshikan [dojo] of Maniwa Nen ryu was constructed in 1866. The Yobukan of Kogen Itto ryu may predate the Koshikan although I do not know exactly when it was built. Both dojo are similar in layout and indicate the agricultural background of these ryu.
Regards,
Bill Jensen

David A. Hall
17th November 2003, 21:06
Bill,

Please send me your current e-mail address.

Thanks.

Dave Hall

David.Hall@montgomerycollege.edu