PDA

View Full Version : Just got the Takamatsu DVD....

BigJon
14th November 2003, 16:34
...Just finished watching it, was great! It was beautifully done, and the footage is really cool! It is a great tribute to Takamatsu Sensei!

..anyone else got it yet?

John Lindsey
14th November 2003, 17:12
Tell us more about it...

kabutoki
14th November 2003, 17:15
where did you order it ? canīt wait to get mine from buyubooks...

karsten

BigJon
14th November 2003, 20:44
I ordered the DVD form RVD ala www.ninjutsu.com I took the day off, slept late, got up and THERE IT WAS! I really didnt expect it to be here so soon. There is alot of narrative in the first segment. Soke Hatsumi shows many, many photographs with Takamatsu, most I have not seen before. (WHich is not at all surprising...)
The parts I enjoyed the most were speaking of training in"The Old Days". So he mentions that when he would go visit with his wife, Takamatsu would be nicer to him...:) Also, there is a photograph with Hatsumi and Takamatsu, where Hatsumi is looking off the the left...Hatsumi mentions that Takamatsu's gaze was so fierce, that he couldn't look the same way for long, so He was looking off at a woman for the photo...LOL!
The video footage is wonderful! It is a treat to see Takamatsu sensei in action! He shows some kihon happo, with a few henka..then lots of long weapons, (BO , jo, naginata, etc...)
Also, I noticed that when demonstrating jodan uke, the striking fist is sometimes bent backwards, I had never seen this before, (which is also not surprising)....more info to come...(dont want to spoil anything...):) I am very happy with it, and I am thankful that this was made to the public!

MakotoDojo
14th November 2003, 22:58
How in the heck did RVD get them so soon?

Almost everytime I order from him, I get part of my order with a note saying the rest is back ordered, this JUST happened a week ago with my Kyhan being back ordered saying it may be up to two months! So whenit came time to buy the dvd, I went with Buyu Books thinking, ok, they are in Japan, they will have to get it out first!

Wrong...

Lucky you :)

studious_ninja
14th November 2003, 23:03
So there's no 'official' release date for this then? I was always under the impression that the release date was November 18th. For Dvd's and CD's violations of release dates is big trouble.

BigJon
14th November 2003, 23:11
All I can tell you is I ordered it as soon as it was advertised from the website...I remember reading about it on George Ohashi's site a long time ago...or it could just be lucky me!:) :D

MakotoDojo
15th November 2003, 00:05
Jon,

for the record, your avatar gives me the freakin' CREEPS!

:) BTW I'm not kidding! Spooky!

m harper
15th November 2003, 00:05
I ordered mine a few weeks ago and got it today. I also ordered it from RVD as Buyu books did not take credit cards. I have only seen part of it. I will wait till the kids go to sleep to watch it all. It is worth every penny.

Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston Dojo

MakotoDojo
15th November 2003, 00:07
:nw: :nw: :nw: :nw: :nw: :nw:

RVD mad props!

:)

Oni
15th November 2003, 00:31
Yup...got mine today from RVD as well. Haven't watched it yet though...later tonight when Lori and I can both watch it.

doraemon
15th November 2003, 00:49
Buyu!!!!

Whyy????!????!

Buyu!!!!!!

:cry:

;)

Oni
15th November 2003, 04:17
Ok,

Wow! Going to have to watch that one a few more times....lots to absorb beyond even the video footage.

BigJon
15th November 2003, 06:23
for the record, your avatar gives me the freakin' CREEPS!
Cool, thats the point!:) Its a MISFITS album cover from the 80's I love the MISFITS. Not the band touring now as the Misfits, but the original band...Its 'Inspirational' music, ....

Oni
15th November 2003, 07:29
Originally posted by Jon G.
Not the band touring now as the Misfits, but the original band...Its 'Inspirational' music, ....

You know what I find creepy? The fact that you can get Misfits action figures...*shiver* I remember when Danzig was in the Misfits and it was scary punk...not toys ;)

BigJon
15th November 2003, 08:14
I will wait till the kids go to sleep to watch it all. It is worth every penny.

Yes, every penny. There are also segments of film where Soke is commenting on how bad he was...Takamatsu sensei is correcting him while Soke narrates...classic footage.(gives me hope...)

kabutoki
15th November 2003, 13:29
I just received an email from buyubooks. theyīll start shipping the preordered dvds on monday, 17th.

Funny to know that all around the world people are waiting next to their mailboxes instead of going to work...

Yours in waiting
Karsten

Jason Chambers
17th November 2003, 01:13
Originally posted by MakotoDojo
How in the heck did RVD get them so soon?

Almost everytime I order from him, I get part of my order with a note saying the rest is back ordered, this JUST happened a week ago with my Kyhan being back ordered saying it may be up to two months! So whenit came time to buy the dvd, I went with Buyu Books thinking, ok, they are in Japan, they will have to get it out first!

Wrong...

Lucky you :)

Maybe he just knows you really well... ;)

Red_Shinobi
17th November 2003, 03:04
How much video of Takamatsu is there? Are there a lot of techniques? Is Takamatsu doing everything the same way as you were taught?

Oni
17th November 2003, 04:18
Originally posted by Red_Shinobi
How much video of Takamatsu is there? Are there a lot of techniques? Is Takamatsu doing everything the same way as you were taught?

I believe there is right around 30 minutes of footage. There is quite a bit of bo,naginata, spear, etc work as well as kihon happo type unarmed stuff. There is also a pretty amusing part where Takamatsu sensei is swinging around a kusarigama that Hatsumi sensei said was about to break. He was afraid the weight was going to come flying off!

Most of what was shown was very familiar...in fact one of the things he was doing with the bo was something i was just working on in class the other night with my wife...awesome to see it coming from Takamatsu sensei himself :)

poryu
17th November 2003, 06:49
Originally posted by Oni
There is also a pretty amusing part where Takamatsu sensei is swinging around a kusarigama that Hatsumi sensei said was about to break. He was afraid the weight was going to come flying off!

Hi

When I watched the film with Hatsumi he told us that the weight was actually something used in Ikebana (flower arranging), its full of spikes, and he was afraid it would break and fly off at him and stick in him

Chris Clifton
17th November 2003, 07:12
hi guys,

Man, this dvd rocks! I didn't expect there to be that much footage of Takamatsu. I feel for you guys still waiting for yours! I ordered mine from www.budovideos.com and I just got it yesterday. Man, those fingernails on Takamatsu are creepy!

MakotoDojo
17th November 2003, 07:37
Originally posted by Chris Clifton
hi guys,

Man, this dvd rocks! I didn't expect there to be that much footage of Takamatsu. I feel for you guys still waiting for yours! I ordered mine from www.budovideos.com and I just got it yesterday. Man, those fingernails on Takamatsu are creepy!

I was just about to make another big order, I will try these guys out!

So those who have seen the video, is Takamatsu as good as your imagination lead you to believe?

Lots of good questions, like is Soke as good now as takamatsu was then? Tanemura once said there was no need to see the Takamatsu footage because he(tanemura) moved just like him (Takamatsu) Lots of questions can be answered...

Josh Sager
17th November 2003, 12:28
We have already started shipping the Takamatsu DVDs out. Everyone that ordered from us should get them very soon.

Jblackman
17th November 2003, 15:41
Don't really post any replys on this website..I really do is observe and read.. but I have to tell people who does not have this video please go get it!!!! It does not matter what kan you train with.. Manaka, Tanemura it does not matter. Takamatsu moves are very good, you can see that he used it in battle. Plus like everybody you can see Soke Hatsumi as a student and that is good!!!! Plus Soke does ukemi that was pretty cool. And to the ones who have seen it that segement where Takamatsu was doing sui no kata or whatever you want to call it, his uke look crazy and they way showed it in slow motion how his body and spine moved... I do not want to be on the receving end of that.His shuto man look like he can cut through some wood with that.. but anyway I do not want take up anybody time.. I suggest it is a must have!

MakotoDojo
19th November 2003, 16:21
Just got it!

Can you say happy happy happy?

:D

R Erman
19th November 2003, 16:55
moi aussi.

Won't be able to watch until the kids are done with Bug's life, though :-(

Tamdhu
19th November 2003, 16:59
I was consistently struck by how relaxed Takamatsu was during his training, and the self-deprecating humor on the part of Hatsumi soke's descriptions of his training and Takamatsu's patience was charming and touching to a very deep degree.

The package as a whole could be enjoyed by anyone as a loving and timeless tribute to the student/teacher relationship.

BigJon
19th November 2003, 17:34
I also like the part where they are performing omote gyaku...Takamatsu doesn't even remove the hand from his dogi, just a beautiful reversal!

doraemon
19th November 2003, 18:17
Good first post Julius. Keep going. :)

MakotoDojo
19th November 2003, 18:38
I just watched it and was moved to gental tears more than once. I'll bet I am not alone. The movement from takamatsu is very bujinkan, regardless of how many menkyo were given out by Takamatsu, their is one heir to the crown as it were... this video shows that without a doubt! It was a loving beautiful production, and I almost feel like I shouldn't talk about it! So, I won't...

Oni
19th November 2003, 19:26
I just watched it and was moved to gental tears more than once.

Sissy :p ;)

poryu
19th November 2003, 19:31
some one please pass him a tissue

MakotoDojo
19th November 2003, 19:38
LOL!

Ya found me out!
:p

kage110
20th November 2003, 09:17
I came home from work last night to see the package from Buyu books on the kitchen table! Much excitement!!!! I sat down and watched in and...what can I possibly say? I enjoyed it and will be watching it again and again. I was both surprised and pleased that Hatsumi-sensei had chosen to publish film footage that showed him as a beginner and making mistakes. That says so much about his character and his lack of ego. I really, really hope to get a chance to train under him one day...:nw:

p.s. Thank you buyu books!

doraemon
20th November 2003, 20:03
I have enjoyed it thoroughly.
It's good to see that Soke is being generous about this stuff.
Especially showing himself, just "not" getting it.
In the 1950s, with the haircut appropriate for the time.

It is fun to also see the muto dori, jojutsu, bojustu, sojutsu, and hand to hand done so economically with solid technique by someone in their 70's.
It is wonderful to see why Soke is so far along now, and also to see that because of the efforts and sacrifices of these two great men that we may have a chance to lose or shrink our deficiencies faster.

Watching the some of the 8mm footage, and things I have had trouble with in the past fixed themselves. Takamatsu Sensei doing them, "only in the way they work" is like a laser pointer at what I could have been doing better for years. Good to know now. :)

I have never been able to just "buy" epiphanies like this before. :D

John Lindsey
25th November 2003, 22:01
I got mine from buyu books today. Seems to have all the video footage I remember seeing before. The DVD was very well done, and we have to give credit to Hatsumi Sensei for making it possible. In some ways, the photos were a bit more interesting to see...

I would like to hear from anyone outside of the X kans who has seen the DVD and what they thought of it.

kabutoki
25th November 2003, 22:06
Dear fellows,
please stop posting here until i get my copy. it makes me want to cry. itīs been over a week now but the package didnīt arrive yet...:cry:

waiting alone now...
karsten

George Kohler
25th November 2003, 22:12
Originally posted by kabutoki
Dear fellows,
please stop posting here until i get my copy. it makes me want to cry. itīs been over a week now but the package didnīt arrive yet...:cry:

SUFFER!!!!

poryu
26th November 2003, 07:05
some else needs the tissues

like John said

suffer Karsten - suffer

hahahahaha

kimq
26th November 2003, 14:25
Am I the only one who picked up on what Soke said about what the DVD heralds in terms of his situation and ongoing efforts as teacher?

Oni
26th November 2003, 14:27
Originally posted by kimq
Am I the only one who picked up on what Soke said about what the DVD heralds in terms of his situation and ongoing efforts as teacher?

Nope. In fact from what I remember hearing in the past, Hatsumi sensei said he would not be releasing this footage until he reached this point so although it was a little shocking to actually hear...it was not a huge surprise. I have a feeling it has not really been mentioned much as in many ways it is rather sad :(

George Kohler
26th November 2003, 16:40
Originally posted by poryu
like John said

Paul,

I hope your not getting too old. :)

poryu
26th November 2003, 17:23
Originally posted by George Kohler
Paul,

I hope your not getting too old. :)

cheeky bugger

I am a very young 37

George Kohler
26th November 2003, 17:36
There is still the possibility that you might have Alzheimer's. :)That was me who said suffer. You said John.

MakotoDojo
26th November 2003, 17:47
Originally posted by kimq

I remember Soke saying years ago, his LAST video for quest will be of Takamatsu. Well here you are...

He also said on the dvd it is time for someone else to take over...

The signs are on the wall, get it while the gettin' is good!

Man did it all fly by.... Seems like a few years ago, when it all started over here in the states, I remember the big news of Soke's first USA Visit. This year we seen the last.

it just all flew by...

I have said it to more than a few people, the Takamatsu DVD for *ME* was just a very sad experience, on many levels, a touching sad dvd...

poryu
26th November 2003, 18:14
Originally posted by George Kohler
There is still the possibility that you might have Alzheimer's. :)That was me who said suffer. You said John.

you genbukan lot all look the same to me :D

John Lindsey
26th November 2003, 18:23
I remember the big news of Soke's first USA Visit.

Damn Rick, were you in the Buj in 1983?

JamesGarcia
26th November 2003, 18:49
Well... the latest word is that he will continue to teach at the Hombu and not oversea anymore, but even this will someday be limited to Ju'dan and above.

This April will be the very special 33rd anniversary of the passing of Takamatsu Sensei and the first spring Taikai in Japan. I wonder if any special announcements will be made on that occasion...

studious_ninja
26th November 2003, 19:05
I was in Japan a month ago and trained at Hatsumi-sensei's classes at the Hombu and at the Ayase Budokan. Sensei would have the shihan (most of whom I didn't know) show the techniques. Sensei would step in and make a point quickly and then leave the shihan to continue teaching. It seemed he was teaching the shihan to teach so that he could ease himself out of it. Whether that's his plan or not, or whether he's been doing that all along I can't tell.

MakotoDojo
26th November 2003, 20:12
Originally posted by John Lindsey
Damn Rick, were you in the Buj in 1983?

I didn't have a card but I trained with a couple guys who made their way down to Dayton every so often. At that point I was more of a training dummy for them as they did their best (not very good btw) attempt to do godai stuff.

Lots of climbing, lots of "stelth" basically silliness. Lots of hayes books etc... Ninja nght warriors came about that time a little later, they were must haves of course :)

I was too young to make it to dayton myself at that time, my parents would have none of it either ;)

So I did what I could..

Shortly after I was a proud member of SOI though :) Not until about 1993 did i become a card carrying member though. Hell didn't even know about Honbu cards!

Kamiyama
27th November 2003, 08:11
This is a very powerful DVD.
Hatsumi sensei is wonderful and open... with his gifts from Takamatsu sensei.

Wonderful.

The photos empressed me the most.
Totally wonderful... you could feel the love.

kamiyama, ralph severe

kabutoki
27th November 2003, 14:06
I canīt believe it. The one package I really wait for...
and either customs or dhl seem to have lost it...

Karsten

skuggvarg
27th November 2003, 21:27
I found it particularly interesting to read the opening text about Takamatsu being a personal friend of the last emperor of China. I have heard rumors about this and even more scarier stuff, but this seems to be the first official announcement.

Best regards / Richard M

Jay Bell
28th November 2003, 00:17
Yeah...I noticed that as well. I really enjoyed the DVD. I smiled and laughed through the whole thing. Watching it gave me a great feeling inside.

John Lindsey
19th December 2003, 20:19
Anyone notice the leather shuriken on the DVD? I think it was the same style made here in Texas many years ago by Joe A. out in West Texas.

Great training tool...

m harper
19th December 2003, 22:59
Joseph still makes them. He brought some to Rich Cearley's seminar in November. They work great.

Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston Dojo

The Tengu
31st December 2003, 22:07
I just watched it and was moved to gental tears more than once. I'll bet I am not alone.I guess I'm a member of the Sissy's Club too.

MakotoDojo
1st January 2004, 02:05
Originally posted by The Tengu
I guess I'm a member of the Sissy's Club too.

:toast: