PDA

View Full Version : Best positions in newaza

Ryu
8th October 2000, 02:18
Hello everyone, I'm rather new to the board. I usually hang out at Mousel's when I find the time. :)

Anyone have a favorite osaekomiwaza pin? If anyone has a variation of a hold that racks up points for them more than others it be great to hear about it.
For myself, personally, I was more comfortable with yokoshihogatame, kamishiho, and kesagatame. Switching from these positions during randori at a BJJ school usually kept me on top and scoring, and I picked up the tip of not sitting on your butt during a pin like kesagatame. Pressing your weight enough to slightly bring your hips off the ground, but keeping good control as to not get pulled over. Anyone have any comments or stories? :)
Hope you can share.

Take care,
Ryu

Bill King

MarkF
8th October 2000, 09:20
Hi, Bill,
I try to keep off the ground as much as possible, as my lack of size says that is best.:)

If you noticed, most wins at the Games were with kamishiho gatame. That is my favorite if uke is small enough.

As to "centering" in osaekomiwaza, I may not go so far as to have my hips off the ground, as I find that spreading and lowering your center is critical especially when trying to hold someone so much bigger (and it seems that is usually the position I'm in).

Actually, your description is just about what I just said so yes, you have to maintain yourself in position which will not let uke turn you or slide out.

Unless I have an armlock or jime which looks like lunch, I avoid it, if possible.:smokin:

Mark

Osoto2000
8th October 2000, 20:38
Hi Bill,
Mark is right about newaza, its all about centering, any hold down is a good holdown, if you drop your weight. If you lift your hips you leave yourself open to being rolled over or allow the space to be used as a lever. Space is your enemy! You should consentrate on applying pressure by dropping your center right to the floor and pulling down Uki rather than lifting you center and pushing down. Try to roll your weight as if squeezing a tube of toothpaste, I know it sounds strange but once you grasp the principle I'm sure you will understand my analogy.

Ryu
8th October 2000, 21:28
Thank you guys,
I appreciate the tips, and details. A judoka had once told me not to sit on my butt during a hold, but perhaps I misunderstood his words a bit. I'll try out the tips here when I get a chance to practice some pins again. College and money put a stop to my BJJ days so as of now I am training solo. :)

Thanks again, and please keep the replies coming.

Take care,
Ryu

Bill King

MarkF
9th October 2000, 07:30
Hi, again, Bill,
Perhaps the teacher meant you have to work at this, and this is not the time to take it easy, no matter how well you have uke pinned. It's just a guess on my part, but is that what he meant, possibly?

Ahh, er, if your doing it solo, do you have a kid sister on whom you practice.?:smash: Hehe.

Mark

Ryu
9th October 2000, 14:01
LOL, in all honesty I do! :D
I have a 16 year old sister who has some BJJ knowledge.

That and some friends when I get the chance. :)

Take care,
Ryu

efb8th
14th October 2000, 15:43
Hi, Guys.

I've been wanting to bring this up for a while, and I see this discussion as an opportunity, so here goes. Thanks Mark, for the opening. I learned from my sensei that a small man (Ben was about 160 lbs.) could defeat a larger man on the mat if he would concentrtate his force to the "Point of connection." The example he used was the rolling together of two basketballs or two pieces of pipe. In each case, the point of contact is focused into a single concentrated point or line. His theory was, and it sure worked on me at 225 lbs., that Kano's principle of units of strength ("If I have seven and he has ten..." etc.) applied to controling that line of contact.

I have recently found what I feel to be supporting evidence for this theory in Draeger & Otaki's book, JUDO: Formal Techniques, in which the authors describe the "feel" of kesa gatame as "cutting across" uke's body.

Am I off base here?

Any comments would be apprreciated.

Regards,