PDA

View Full Version : Lessons of Ishimine Ryu

Geoff
19th November 2003, 15:01
With interest I've been rereading the bits of information and lineage on Ishimine Ryu in Mark Bishop's and Harry Cook's books. It is striking to me that the style uses so few kata and yet is connected to other more well-known styles of karate , which employ a greater number of forms. What are the lessons Ishimine Ryu? By this I mean, what do practitioners of this style do when they practice their forms and other exercises?

If anyone has links to sites (I did a Google search with limited results) or books on the subject I would be interested in reading them.

I guess my interest stems from the fact that as a Shotokan person I've been invovled in the practice of many, heavily modified kata over the years. I wonder how the pedagogy of Ishimine Ryu differs from the karate I'm familiar with and how the lessons "taught" by various kata in other schools are condensed into the handful of kata practiced in this ryu-ha. How do they get away with this apparently abbreviated syllabus and still teach a breadth of karate technique?

Geoff Wingard