PDA

View Full Version : for my essay - which techniques does judo use?

Rogier
21st November 2003, 11:07
I've got to write an essay comparing the techniques modern day jiu-jitsu uses to karate, judo and aikido. Of course I will search through some books and use the net... but some help in here will be greatly appreciated.

Which of the following does judo use and which aren't used:

hodoki-waza (escapes)
uke-waza (blocks)
atemi-waza (punches & kicks)
kansetsu-waza (locks)
nage-waza (throws)
jime-waza (strangling)

Starkjudo
21st November 2003, 14:45
Most of this is correct. I would not say Judo uses blocks; the closest thing you'll find is hip checks to prevent throws, which i'd actually say is bad Judo: flowing with the technique and creating a counter instead of a block is always better.

The atmei is almost non-existent. It shows up in 2 of our katas, that usually don't come into play until the higher brown and the black ranks. If you are looking for deep thoughts on atemi in Judo, your best bet is a Judo instructor who also has rank in Karate or TKD :)

Brian Griffin
21st November 2003, 18:07
Originally posted by Rogier
Which of the following does judo use and which aren't used:

hodoki-waza (escapes)
uke-waza (blocks)
atemi-waza (punches & kicks)
kansetsu-waza (locks)
nage-waza (throws)
jime-waza (strangling)
Kodokan Judo uses and teaches all of the above.

The escapes you refer to are explicitly taught in the Joshi Goshin-ho, where they are referred to as ridatsu-ho, rather than hodokiwaza or the synonymous te hodoki.

Ukewaza are taught in every kata that includes a striking attack, which is to say practically all of them (except go-no-sen no kata).
In keeping with the principles of the art, most ukewaza are re-directs or parries, rather than blocks, but blocks per se can be found in e.g. Seiryoku Zen'Yo Kokumin Taiiku no Kata.

Atemiwaza are much more than just "punches & kicks."
Properly speaking, atemi involves the use of a specific anatomical weapon to attack a specific anatomical target, in a carefully prescribed way (angle/direction/depth).
Mere striking techniques (ate-waza) are taught as individual exercises, or as part of kata training (esp. Seiryoku Zen'Yo Kokumin Taiiku no Kata). The strikes employ fingers, hands, feet, knees, elbows, and even headbutts.
Actual atemi are incorporated into the techniques of most of the standard kata (including Nage no Kata!)

Kansetsuwaza found in the kata include attacks to elbow, knee, and wrist joints. Many other locks are taught and practiced, but not all Judo clubs spend much time on the non-kata techniques that would be penalized in contest.

Nagewaza are, of course, the "bread and butter" of Kodokan Judo, and I think we may have evolved a wider array of standing and sacrifice throws than any other art. New throws and variations continue to be introduced all the time.

Shimewaza are likewise a major focus of Judo training. There are innumerable techniques and variations used in contest, and an equally broad array of illegal shimewaza that some clubs continue to teach and practice.

One area is omitted from your list: Osae-waza

Judo is considered to have three major categories of technique. You asked about the nagewaza and atemiwaza, but the third category is called katamewaza which we might translate as "control techniques."
The shimewaza and kansetsuwaza are two branches of katamewaza The third branch is called osae-waza or pinning techniques that control/restrain an opponent on the ground. Proper mastery of osae is essential to the successful application of any shime- or kansetsuwaza.

Barry Southam
22nd November 2003, 22:20
Friends,

I have always taught Judo as a martial art and therefore Judo contains all areas mentioned:
Falling tech., Throwing, Holding, Jointlocks, chokes, striking,
blocking/parry.. Put these techniques together in combination with each other and you have an unlimited resource to respond to an attack....In Judo we have the option from mild to severe in our response which give a wide spectrum to choose from..Based on our ability and severity of the situation..
Therefore, Judo has something for everyone from olympic sport competition to studying Judo as a martial art....

Take Care

Barry E. Southam