PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new martial art

jezah81
25th November 2003, 07:30
Hi guys,
As most of you already know since last year ive been studying MJER. I now want to find another martial art that has katana and jo training as part of its curriculum. Ive been thinking about aikido and jujutsu. Do both of these two martial arts have weapons training as part of its curriculum? Is there any other martial art i should consider? The main reason I want to change to another martial art is because I want to learn both empty hands and weapons. First to defend myself on the street and still learn weapons training as that interests me too.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Regards,

kage110
25th November 2003, 10:10
Try one of the Ninpo groups: Bujinkan, Genbukan and Jinenkan. I am biased towards the Bujinkan myself :p but all offer top quality martial training where you will learn unarmed skills a plenty as well as how to handle all types of traditional Japanese weaponry including swords and sticks.

All the best,

Shimura
25th November 2003, 14:48
Aikido also has some weapons included, such aiki no ken (sword) and jo. You might want to also try Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, if there is any one around teaching it. They do sword, but I also recall they had an effecient form of yawara/kumiuchi in their system. Best of luck finding what fits your quest.

Sillal
25th November 2003, 18:45
Grab the phone book and see whats around you and visit some schools.

I did a 6 year haul in Aikido and though they have some bokken and jo kata I can't really say its sword of jo work. If you just want to swing some sticks around it would be fine, but I don't think they really go into combative uses of the weapons.

jezah81
26th November 2003, 02:31
Thanks for your help guys. Ill have a look at those different schools.
Regards,