PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Kenjutsu in Georgia

Mr_X
26th November 2003, 02:27
Greetings everyone,

My name is Alex Nash. I am 17 years old and live in Athens, Georgia (where the University of Georgia is located). I am very interested in learning kenjutsu. I have been scouring the Internet for a couple of weeks now looking for a dojo/school/class that I would be able to attend that is fairly close to my home.

For the most part, I have been completely unsuccessful in locating a dojo that teaches kenjutsu in my entire state (Georgia). I have, however, found this class which the website says, is taught at the UGA Ramsey center, which is very close to my house. Here is the link: Kashima-Shinryu (http://www.uga.edu/ksr/).

I have also been posting and asking questions at Sword.ne.jp's Samurai Forum (http://www2.g-com.ne.jp/~japan/cgi-bin301/ikonboard.cgi). A kind lady (I think) by the handle of Kaoru informed me that she believed that this class at UGA was not a legitiment kenjutsu class and that I should be skeptical of it. She also stated that she however, did not know any details about Kashima-Shinryu, so she could not state anything conclusively. So she pointed me here, saying there were many knowledgable people here who could help me either by verifying that class, or by pointing me to another dojo/class/school near me.

I would really like to learn a form of kenjutsu, but it seems to be very difficult to find a place that teaches it that is anywhere near my home. I really hope that there is someone on this board who can help me with my problem. The class at UGA seems very appealing because it advertises kenjutsu along with other weapons and bare handed arts and it is very close to my house. But I don't really want to take a class that is not legit.

Any help, advise, or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for any help.

Mr_X

P.S. Sorry that I wrote so much, but I tend to do that a lot. :rolleyes:

Ellis Amdur
26th November 2003, 03:00
The class is absolutely legit. As is Kashima Shin-ryu. The nice lady was incorrect.

Ellis Amdur
www.ellisamdur.com

ghp
26th November 2003, 03:23
Rats! Ellis beat me to it. Yes, Kashima Shin Ryu is a well-known koryu and is mentored in the US by Dr. Karl Friday -- who is highly regarded. You might want to get a copy of his book Legacies of the Sword:The Kashima-Shinryu and Samurai Martial Culture
here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0824818474/qid=1069820122/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-2676016-8079967?v=glance&s=books)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0824818474.01._PE_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
$34.00 + Shipping. Highly recommended

Cheers,
Guy

Mr_X
26th November 2003, 13:37
Wow. So you guys think that that class is legit and that I should take it? You did go to the site right? I knew that Kashima-Shin was an actual ryu i just didn't know enough about it to judge whether the class was legit or not.

If you guys think it is real then, hooray for me!!

And thank you very much for your very quick and helpful responses.

Last thing, that book sounds like a good Christmas present. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Mr_X

Jack B
26th November 2003, 14:22
There is no need for us to go to the web site. Dr. Friday is well known. You should contact him.

gendzwil
26th November 2003, 14:23
Kaoru is a very nice young lady, and in most cases she would be correct but not in this one. Dr. Friday is one of the few legitimate teachers of koryu in the US, and you are quite lucky to be so close.

Aozora
26th November 2003, 15:07
I'd second all of that. You're very lucky... run, don't walk to his class if kenjutsu is what you want to do...

pgsmith
26th November 2003, 16:20
Greetings Mr. Nash,
While I heartily endorse everyone's opinions of Mr. Friday and the US Kashima-Shinryu Federation, I have to throw a word of caution out to you. You are hoping to begin practicing a Japanese koryu. This is NOT the same thing as going down to the local Karate studio, handing them money, and telling them to teach you. It is entirely up to the instructor whether or not they want to take you on as a student. If you go in with the wrong mind set, thinking that they are required to teach you, you'll likely get tossed out on your ear.

Now I am not saying that is how this dojo is run. I have no experience with them personally. I just wanted to throw out a word of caution as you do not seem very familiar with the sword arts, and I have had similar experiences with young people in the past. Enthusiasm is good, willingness to try your hardest at whatever they give you is good, sincere desire is good, attitude is very bad.

Just felt like you could use a heads up on it! :)

Good luck!

DCPan
26th November 2003, 17:15
Originally posted by Mr_X
Wow. So you guys think that that class is legit and that I should take it?

He's not just legit...he's good!

You can see him as the demonstrating partner with the soke of the style in the video:

http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page53.html

FWIW :D

AAC
26th November 2003, 17:35
Hi Alex,

If you live in Athens, GA the Kashima Shin Ryu club is "the place to be for budo".. FYI: Obata Sensei's Shinkendo, and Toyama Ryu is here in the southeast.

Best Wishes,

Antonio Cobb

http://www.shinkendo.com
http://www.toyama-ryu.org
http://www.isf-alga.com

Kaoru
27th November 2003, 23:03
Originally posted by Ellis Amdur
The class is absolutely legit. As is Kashima Shin-ryu. The nice lady was incorrect.

Ellis Amdur
www.ellisamdur.com

Hello!

Well, I admit it... I goofed! I was too hasty. I usually do better research than that, but I remember I was in a hurry that day. I'm never researching anything again when I am in a hurry. If I'd seen who the sensei was on that site, I'd have known better. But, none was listed, since it was a very short page. And, I somehow didn't take notice of the links listed that I saw today when I went back to see the site again, and so I know I really goofed. My sincere apologies! :(

Kaoru

Ronin055
29th November 2003, 07:03
It was interesting how this played out.

Mr X : I cant look and find a dojo.. can you.

Kaoru : Hey look I found a few for you but there could be others.

Mr X : Gee I was hoping youd be better at this.. gee... thanks.

NOw he says.. nice lady (I think)..

She said over there that she didnt know about the dojo.. You said you were going to call them and see if they really taught what they advertised.. Then she said maybe you should talk to people over here and see if someone knew of the school since there were so many people here who were knowlageable. ANd you posted that SHE didnt think the school was legit.

You could have posted that you were considering this school and wanted to know if anyone knew about it. But instead you put someone elses name on the line. HMPH.. Guess she didnt do good enough for you over on the other forum.

http://www2.g-com.ne.jp/~japan/cgi-bin301/ikonboard.cgi?s=3fc84df32c2dffff;act=ST;f=5;t=123;st=0

There is the whole thread over there.

Mr_X
30th November 2003, 23:47
First off I would like to thank everyone for their support, input, and help that they have provided. It seems that there are some very knowledgable people on this forum and you guys (and girls) are a very big help to me.

Secondly, to Mr. Cecil, I really don't know why you are bashing me so much. I have never done anything to you, so why are you trying to make me look bad? It also seems that you are a bit misinformed about the progression of the events on the sword.ne.jp forums. I came to those forums looking for some help, not someone to find a dojo for me. I had been searching for a couple of weeks before I even posted once on the Samurai Forum at sword.ne.jp. I had been unsuccessful for weeks which is why I asked for help. That is what a community is for, to help one another, correct?

You also seem to think that Kaoru found that class for me, and again you are wrong. I found that website and posted it on the Samurai Forums for someone to help me determine if it was a good choice or not. Kaoru was the one who advised me, I took her advise and posted here. I included her name in my post here because I wanted her to get credit for directing me here and helping me in the beginning, not to try to embarrass her (I'm sorry if I did Kaoru).

One more thing, the reason I said "A kind lady (I think)" in my first post is because I was not sure if she was female or not. There was no other meaning in that statement.

My intention with this post was not to start a flame war or anything like that. I am just trying to clear my name of any negativity caused by Mr. Cecil's assumptions. I apologize for any hostilities or negative feelings this brought on, that was not my intention.

Again, thank you to everyone who has helped me, especially Kaoru.

Mr_X

P.S. Sorry, I wrote too much again.

Ronin055
1st December 2003, 01:31
I say the things I say, the way I say them because the way you represent yourself.

Read over the post at the other forum I linked above and you will see what I mean.

Then the way things are written here.

You need to learn to be more cautious and courtious with your words.

That is all I have to say.

JAnstey
1st December 2003, 04:43
Hi Alex,

I have read through the links on both forums, I can't see that you have done anything wrong, on the contrary you seem to have been especially polite. You are right in being wary of the legitimacy of many koryu. You are also lucky that you have found a very highly regarded school.

Yes this is a forum, so ask what you like, if someone doesn't like it, tuff, they can move on.

I also second the comment from one of the forumites about aproaching with caution and respect - or words to that effect. Instruction from a good teacher is a gift that money can't buy.

Anyway, good luck I hope your experience in budo is a becomes a life long journey.

Cheers

Jason

Mr_X
1st December 2003, 21:31
Well thank you for your support, kindness, and words of caution Jason.

jardun
4th December 2003, 17:25
Kashima Shinryu is held in the Ramsey Center on UGA campus. It's taught by Dr. Karl Friday. I can personally verify this as I was there yesterday. ;)

Links:
Kashim Shinryu - North America
http://www.kashima-shinryu.us/

Kashima Shinryu - International (In English)
http://www.kashima-shinryu.jp/English/

Justin Manning

Mr_X
4th December 2003, 21:43
Well what a small world it is. I'm almost surprised by running into someone who is taking the same class that I am looking at.

I have tried contacting Matt Reineke, Ben Cohen, and John Gorzynski via e-mail, but so far I have gotten no response. I am waiting for them to write me back before I show up.

Mr. Manning, would you be so kind as to maybe mention to any of them that I have sent them e-mails and am eagerly awaiting their response and that I am very interested in taking the class? I would very much appreciate it, as I would like to start attending before the holidays arrive.

Also, I would be very grateful for any information that you could give me about the class, such as how many people attend, how much it costs, or any other information.

Thank you so much, and I hope we can soon meet in person at class.

Mr_X

jardun
5th December 2003, 14:40
Alex,

Email me at jardun@linuxmail.org and I'll reply with the relevant information.

Justin Manning

Mr_X
6th December 2003, 03:02
Ok I have sent an e-mail to you Mr. Manning. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you again for all your help.

Mr_X