PDA

View Full Version : Books and their Values

Brian Stokes
26th November 2003, 16:54
Hi There,

I am substantially reducing my library and I wanted to inquire as to what the value of the hardbound set "The Diety and the Sword." Any idea?

Thanks,

Brian Stokes

Scott Irey
26th November 2003, 18:29
Hi Brian,

I sold a set on Ebay awhile back and it fetched $425. That was awhile ago when the economy was a little better.

Brian Stokes
26th November 2003, 19:54
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the info. I think I will put my library out on ebay!

Keiko,

Brian Stokes
Shinei Ni

Brian Stokes
26th November 2003, 23:14
Hey Scott,

Thanks again for the input. I put Diety and the Sword on Ebay at the following site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3569512086

Never having done this before it was really quite easy.

Keiko!

Brian Stokes

Scott Irey
26th November 2003, 23:48
Good luck on your auction Brian :)

Cady Goldfield
27th November 2003, 01:41
$425 would be a total bargain! Last I heard, a set of the 3 volumes sold on E-Bay for $600.

Good luck!

Brian Owens
27th November 2003, 05:50
I could just cry! :cry:

I had the hardbound set, and they were "lost" in a move, along with several other treasured books (hardbound "Japanese Swordsmanship" by Warner & Draeger, among them), along with some other odds and ends in the box. I sent a "Lost Items" form to the moving company, but never got anything back.

I don't think I could justify $600 though, on my salary.

glad2bhere
27th November 2003, 13:00
This might be an extreme but I thought I would mention it.

About 3 monthes ago I decided that I would round out my set and search-out vol#3. I received two responses through RUBY from a gentleman in Poland who had #3 but would not sell it separately. The whole set was going for either $900US or $1000US, I forget which. At first blush this may seem like quite a lot and I decided against the transaction. However, if the volumes were first editions I suppose an arguement could be made for such a price. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Brian Stokes
27th November 2003, 19:14
Wow,

That is a hefty price!!! I have them listed at $500.00 on ebay. I just added Obata Sensei's trio as well.

I hated to hear that someone's copies disappeared. Each time that happens one less piece of history exits in the world.

I wish to all (even if they are not state-side) a Happy Thanksgiving.

Brian Stokes
Shinei Ni

Budoka 34
28th November 2003, 20:42
Brian,

While I wish you all the luck in the world with your auctions I would urge you to reconsider letting them go!
These titles are only getting harder to come by. Especially the "Diety and the Sword"!

As to value I think you are right on the mark as far as value with the above mentioned set. BTW, do you have the Dust Jackets?

For Obata's Books "Samurai Aikijutsu" can be had for around $40 to $80(usd) depending on condition. "Crimson Steel" runs from $80 to $150 and "Naked Blade" has been anywhere from $50 to $150 range on e-bay depending on conditon and how it is listed.

Hope this helps.

BTW, next time consider listing them in the book collectors thread here also, that way I can get in an early bid.;)

:smilejapa

Brian Stokes
28th November 2003, 20:51
Hi There Budoka!

I actually did reconsider momentarily putting them up for sale but ... Soke Katsuse (of the Suio Ryu) has said 1) no other sword styles please, and 2) he personally never watches others demonstrate because of how it may affect his art. That latter comment made a lot of sense to me ... sooo ... I thought I would elliminate them out of my library. Besides, I get to see "the real thing" so I don't need the books around.

I have a few more interesting books, but nearly in as good of condition that I will be puting up soon. I will post them here first, I promise :D

Keiko!

Brian Stokes

Brian Owens
29th November 2003, 04:02
Originally posted by Budoka 34
For Obata's Books "Samurai Aikijutsu" can be had for around $40 to $80(usd) depending on condition. "Crimson Steel" runs from $80 to $150 and "Naked Blade" has been anywhere from $50 to $150 range on e-bay depending on conditon and how it is listed.
I have Crimson Steel and Naked Blade in paperback, not hardbound, and Crimson Steel is autographed.

Any idea what they'd go for?

fifthchamber
30th November 2003, 15:28
Hi all...
Hmmm...I watched with amazement the prices the set of "Deity" books went for on E-Bay....I have the three in softback but would'nt sell them anyways....But it is always good to see how much I could get....Hehe....;)
Along these lines, I was truly amazed yesterday when, while out looking through the old bookshops near the West End in London I stumbled upon a first edition in good condition of A.B. Mitford's (Lord Redesdale) "Tales of old Japan".....With an inscription inside saying "Yokohama 1886"....Picked it up for £40....Don't know how much its real value is but just finding something like that is a very real buzz....(I also found the copies of "Deity" for £10 each in the Elephant and Castle!!....God I love antique searches!!!)...
Ooooo.....If any of you ever get to London try the Oriental bookshops near the British Museum...They are a real treasure chest of old books....And well worth the trip to search....
Anyways....
Good luck with your sales all!!
Regards.
Ben...

Budoka 34
30th November 2003, 18:29
Brian Stokes,

I wish we had JSA instruction around here. My Instructor(Karate and Jiujutsu) studied Iai in the 70s but doesn't teach.
Maybe someday? BTW, you can call me Randy.

Brian Owens,

The prices listed are pretty standard. The great thing about signed books is you can get whatever your asking if you find the right buyer.
I've paid as little as $3(usd) for signed books. Most of the signed copies I have were signed by the authors for me. If the author is still alive I make great efforts to get them signed out of respect to the author.

Ben,

Over the last 6 weeks I've ordered several books from GB. Several dozen over the last few years.
Why do I find all the best books in Great Britain and at such good prices?
GB and the Netherlands seem to be a treasure trove of great martial arts books.

:smilejapa

Brian Stokes
3rd December 2003, 18:16
Hi All,

Five hours to go on the "Diety and the Sword" auction on ebay. Perhaps one of your last chances to own a great set of books!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=268&item=3569512086

Keiko,

Brian

Chidokan
3rd December 2003, 18:33
Thanks everyone, I was wondering how to raise enough cash to go to Japan. My three hardbacks with two dustcovers should just about cover it!
My local kendo teacher got into buying and selling MA books and I've had all sorts of stuff off him over the years. He now has the largest collection of MA books in Europe, some really obscure Japanese books from around 1860ish on karate etc.
Just got my signed copy of Iwata sensei's new book on MJER to add to my collection along with a load of notes discussing the photos and why they are in the book. I could post these on my site if anyone is interested...

glad2bhere
3rd December 2003, 18:33
I have been to the UK twice and while I found a lot of bookshops I have NOT found any that carried much in the way of Oriental/MA books. There was a fine old store in Edinburgh (on Kings Road, I think) but I stumbled upon it quite by accident and didn't have the time to give a sound once-over that I would have liked. So how about if you bookworms and packrats take pity on an old "bib" and share a few of your better resources, please?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Chidokan
3rd December 2003, 18:46
My friends' address is:

John Sparkes
12 Berkely Road
Darlington
County Durham
England
DL1 5ED

He sends out a couple of catalogues every so often, and can usually get anything... I finally recovered my favourite book this way, 'lives of master swordsmen', cracking read if a little 'quaint' use of English in the translation from the original Japanese.

Brian Owens
4th December 2003, 07:52
Originally posted by Chidokan
Just got my signed copy of Iwata sensei's new book on MJER to add to my collection along with a load of notes discussing the photos and why they are in the book. I could post these on my site if anyone is interested...
Do you even need you even ask? :rolleyes:

Please, sir. Post them. :smilejapa

BTW, what is your site's URL? Don't see it listed in your profile.

glad2bhere
4th December 2003, 10:28
Dear Tim:

Many thanks. Do you mind if I use your name to introduce myself to this person? There are resources on Keishi-ryu sword that I have been trying to find for sometime now and have not been able to locate through various sources. I have posted a few strings on various Nets and have not gotten much of a response if any. I can't believe that there is no published material on these kata considering their importance in the development of modern day kendo and its kata.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Chidokan
4th December 2003, 22:04
Glad2bhere,I dont mind at all.
I'm trying to persuade him over to Japan at the moment to hunt around the book fairs with a friend of his. God knows what gems he could turn up! Perhaps even an original copy of Oe Masamichi's book or Mori Shigeki's perhaps? I only have them as photocopies at the moment, the originals would be great! Anyone got translations of these by the way? I'd be quite interested, save me waiting for a friend to do them.

My website is: http://chidokan.tripod.com/, you can also get there from Hyaku's site if you have that in your favourites..