PDA

View Full Version : To Gakure vs. Toga Kure

John Lindsey
28th November 2003, 12:48
Why is it so hard for some people to say it correctly?

Comments?

Jouke
28th November 2003, 12:55
May I ask which of the 2 is correct, the only of the 2 I have ever seen is the second one. I have never seen anyone write "To Gakure" ?

Shinsen
28th November 2003, 13:11
Originally posted by Jouke
I have never seen anyone write "To Gakure" ?

Which is probably the reason for this thread. I tend to write it as Togakure as do many others but there are two separate Kanji for the "To" and the "Gakure" parts, so if you're gonna split them, it shouldn't be Toga Kure. Writing them like this is like writing your name as Joukehulz Enga.

John Lindsey
28th November 2003, 13:33
I write it as Togakure as well, but this thread is about how the pronounce it, thus I split the name into the two versions...

JamesGarcia
28th November 2003, 20:30
This brings back fond memories of when I first began training. Growing up in West Texas back when there was only one black belt in the states, I ammassed every Book, Magazine article I could get my hands on.

The first training class I had with Mr. Hayes, he actually said the word I had till then just assumed was "To Ga Cure"... BWAHAHA!!!

I guess this has to do with trying to pronounce Japanese words with only English as a Base. Same way people say "Carry Okee."

It is made up of two Kanji one, To meaning "Door" and Two Kakusu or Kakureru loosely meaning "Hide" or "Conceal." When used together it is pronounced To-Gakure.

Jay Bell
28th November 2003, 21:58
This reminds me of an old friend Tony from my home town. He learned years ago that I was studying Bujinkan. He said, "Holy crap! Ma-Sake-ey HatsumIE! That's that Toga Kuray Riyew stuff!" Took me a good five minutes to understand what in the hell he was talking about..

John Lindsey
28th November 2003, 22:17
I was recently watching a video of some Bujinkan and Genbukan guys from Alabama. They had a little seminar "get together" for everyone from Alabama who was involved in Ninpo. No politics, just training. Might be about 8 years ago or so.

Well, this one guy starts to talk about the secrets of the Ka taah. I didn't know what the heck he was talking about. He went on about all the "ka taah" and finally mentioned "henki" as being part of the Ka taah. Then I figured out he meant to say kata and henka...

Oh, and I was in one Southern Bujinkan dojo once, and I swear the teacher bowed in the class with the following:

Chicken, Hot mustard, diet coke in a bowl.

BigJon
28th November 2003, 22:20
Chicken, Hot mustard, diet coke in a bowl.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

JamesGarcia
28th November 2003, 22:24
BWAHAHAHA!!!

That southern teacher was you John.. hehe...
That was how you taught new students to kind of pronounce Shikin.

"Chicken, Hot Mustard, Diet coke mo" was the original version... but I like the "in a bowl," addition Hehe...

John Lindsey
28th November 2003, 22:37
hehehe...

It was based on a personal experience with another Texas teacher...

ShaneLayton
29th November 2003, 03:53
Ok, I came to the South from Texas, too. (Howdy Jaime . . .).

Southern:

"Come own now, fellers, we just do thangs a mite differnt down here in deliverence country"

Rest of the World:

English is hard enough for a lot of people here in the South, and now ya'll want them use good Japanse? Give 'em a break.

John, I'll give Lee your regards the next time I train with his group in Birmingham.

Shane