PDA

View Full Version : Kumihimo workshop February 7-8, 2004

Diane Mirro
2nd December 2003, 21:26
Thanks to a thread several weeks ago from someone who wanted to learn how to make their own sageo, a couple of us have put together a workshop here in San Antonio with Kumihimo instructor Imperia Giovanna:

"Attention fiber artists, martial artists, Japanese enthusiasts!

River City Iaido & Kendo Kyokai presents:

A KUMIHIMO WORKSHOP
--taught by Giovanna Imperia

Kumihimo is the Japanese art of braiding. It has been used to create the beautiful cords and ties used in Japanese clothing, armor and for the Japanese sword. Modern applications include belts, jewelry, hair adornment, home accessories...you name it!

In this workshop you will learn to do various braids on the marudai, the traditional Japanese braiding frame. Topics covered will include project design, material selection, preparation, and the actual braiding techniques that will allow you to start creating your own projects immediately. The workshop will be limited to 15 participants so that you will be able to receive individual attention throughout the weekend.

Giovanna Imperia is an Artist in Residence from the Houston Center of Contemporary Craft. She studies, teaches and practices the craft of Kumihimo full time.

When: 10am-4pm Saturday & Sunday, February 7-8, 2004

Where: The Chandler House, 137 West French Street, San Antonio, TX 78212

Cost: $65 tuition covers instruction, use of equipment, use of books. Material costs for the silk or shinon fiber will run $10 and up depending on your project. Giovanna will bring all necessary materials, as well as books and braiding frames available for purchase.

Registration: Your space will be reserved upon receipt of your $65 tuition. Please call Dr. Diane Mirro at 210-854-3232 or send an email to ladysamurai@yahoo.com to inquire about space availability and payment instructions. (Note: Cancellations prior to January 24 will be charged a $10 administrative fee; subsequent cancellations or no-shows are subject to forfeiture of tuition unless the space can be filled by another student.)"

Please contact me if you are interested. Currently 4 people have paid--I cannot hold a space without payment, so please do not ask.

For you out-of-towners, several of us may be able to offer free homestay accomodations. Come on down here, out of the cold, and enjoy some Texas hospitality while learning to make your own sageo--and get to "talk swords" with a bunch of other practitioners.

Chidokan
2nd December 2003, 23:08
anyone do this in England? I remember seeing it done once in Washington (the original one, not the copy in the USA:D)but aint seen it since...

Andrei Arefiev
8th December 2003, 13:29
Originally posted by Chidokan
anyone do this in England?

Mr. Hamilton,

Here's what I found: http://www.careycompany.com/workshops.html The owner of this site, Jacqui Carey, is the author of two popular books on kumihimo, which were the first my girlfriend and I started with.

But if you just want a special sageo without having to learn how to make one, you can contact me off-site :)

BTW, I've been meaning to write to you for quite a long time already, and I'll try to get to it soon.

Best regards,

Chidokan
8th December 2003, 20:55
I've seen several articles by her before, they are quite interesting. The book looks good, might buy it out of curiosity if nothing else! I have a couple of 'flash' himo already Andrei, thanks for the offer though! I got a lovely grey/silvery coloured one last time over in Japan, looks really nice with a black saya...