PDA

View Full Version : Willis Shepard

MakotoDojo
3rd December 2003, 20:06
Does anyone remember him?

What were the details of his accident? Was it falling from a cliff? Was Soke actually at his funeral? Anyone hav any good stories about Mr. Shepard before his untimly passing?

Was just thinking about him for some reason...

JamesGarcia
3rd December 2003, 20:49
Did you know him Richard?

I met him a few times, what I remember most is how happy he was when he lost alot of weight while staying in Japan. He would only eat Sushi since this is relatively cheap and he lost more than a few inches on his waistline. A very positive chap.

I remember Hatsumi Sensei dedicated one issue of his newsletter Bujin to him when he passsed. I don't believe Sensei attended his funeral.

John Lindsey
3rd December 2003, 21:16
At the time of his death, I think he was interested in what Dave Koss and his students were teaching. Dave had his own theories and attracted more than a few well known folks at that time. I never was very interested in what he was doing, though it did seem to have a new age attitude to it. In fact, I think Willis was doing some outdoor training when the accident happened. From what I recall, he walked off a cliff a night. Some say that someone pointed a flashlight at his face and he lost his night vision. He fell a good distance and his friends tried to help me, but he died before help could arrive. I knew Willis from the days of the Ninja Festival. He was a nice guy.

I remember one funny story about him. He used to part his hair over his bald head and glue it down with lots of spray. At a Ninja festival we were doing hanbo, and he was thrown once and his hair flap stood up straight like a hatch! It was a funny situation and he got a kick out of it as well. He was dedicated to his training and was always seeking out more opportunities.

I will try and find some other photos of him from the festivals if you want...

MakotoDojo
3rd December 2003, 21:19
Originally posted by JamesGarcia
Did you know him Richard?

I met him a few times, what I remember most is how happy he was when he lost alot of weight while staying in Japan. He would only eat Sushi since this is relatively cheap and he lost more than a few inches on his waistline. A very positive chap.

I remember Hatsumi Sensei dedicated one issue of his newsletter Bujin to him when he passsed. I don't believe Sensei attended his funeral.

No, I am afraid I didn't get a chance to know him. I heard his name around of course. But only found out about his passing in I think 1992 maybe when we were talking about training accidents and what not. Bujin is why I was thinking of him, I was reading that issue some days ago and he popped into my mind today.

From Bujin VOl.1 #3

"On the day of his funeral, before the burial of his casket. I saw him lying peacfully in his coffin, still wearing the practice robe of the Bujinkan."

I assume Soke wrote this, that's why I asked if he attended funeral.

This also brings to mind Shawn's brother as well although I am not sure the situation was related to training, I have heard different stories.

thinking back to some of the crazy stuff we all did in the 80's before any of us knew allot of real taijutsu, I am surprised more such accidents had not occured. I myself used to climb buildings and trees etc.. Not to mention my stupid experiments with "ka jutsu"...

MakotoDojo
3rd December 2003, 21:25
John,

yeah that photo is from that same issue of bujin. If I remember correctly, was there not a funny story regarding the knife switching from hand to hand with Ed Sones?

Also yes any Photo's of Willis would be fitting.

JamesGarcia
3rd December 2003, 21:33
Thats me farthest left in the back row. My teacher Chuck Dervenis is farthest left in front row next to Will.

And yeah, there was a funny story about Ed and the knife toss. WHere did you hear about that Richard?

MakotoDojo
3rd December 2003, 21:40
And yeah, there was a funny story about Ed and the knife toss. WHere did you hear about that Richard?

I had my ear pressed to the ground about the last 20 years A tengu told me :)

George Kohler
3rd December 2003, 22:19
Thats me farthest left in the back row.

Check out the hairdo on Sammy :)

JamesGarcia
3rd December 2003, 23:16
HA!!! I still have all my hair Georgie... Hehehe...

After Chuck left, I went to the barber to ask for a trim. I thought I said, "just cut a little." They almost made me bald. That was the last haircut I have ever got. I clip my hair off at the nipples these days.

"Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts" Jim Morrison.

and guess what... Remember I asked if you knew any cops to help with a ticket? Turns out, one of my students called me and said, "Hey, do you not remember my brother is a Dallas Transit cop?" He is helping.

John Lindsey
3rd December 2003, 23:18
Rick,

I think Hatsumi S. was saying he saw him in his mind, or a dream.

MakotoDojo
3rd December 2003, 23:39
Originally posted by John Lindsey
Rick,

I think Hatsumi S. was saying he saw him in his mind, or a dream.

I see, thanks.

George Kohler
3rd December 2003, 23:50
HA!!! I still have all my hair Georgie... Hehehe...

Ok, maybe I should call you Sampson (biblical figure) instead of Sammy :)

JamesGarcia
3rd December 2003, 23:55
hmmm.. I prefer Slimy-Jaime, but what you will.

I didn't get the Sammy comparison. I got a big Apache nose... The chics like it though.

shinobi77
4th December 2003, 08:31
I thought it was big...feet, that chicks dig Jaime?

:D

In budo,

:p
Jed Konopka