PDA

View Full Version : AIKIDO IN THE WORLD GAMES?!?

Yamantaka
9th October 2000, 23:55
Hello, Guys!

This year, once again, Aikido will be demonstrating in the World Games. I read the IAF's explanation that Aikido's participation is "important to divulge Aikido, the Doshu and Aikikai Hombu Dojo", BUT ...
The World Games is a COMPETITIVE forum and all members approve and are, evidently, pretending to participate competitively in the Games; and
It's usual for a new candidate, to begin "demonstrating" before competitively participating (see Taekwondo in the Olympics).
What does everybody think about that? Is Aikikai just taking the place of Tomiki Aikido in the World Games(a prelude to the Olympics)? Or does the Aikikai intend to become competitive?
Very curious
Yamantaka

RDeppe
10th October 2000, 19:09
This is amazing (i.e. stupid). Where do you get info on this.

Thanks.

Yamantaka
11th October 2000, 01:08
Originally posted by RDeppe
This is amazing (i.e. stupid). Where do you get info on this.
Thanks.

YAMANTAKA : About the World Games and the occurence of COMPETITION in Aikido :
http://www.wg2001.or.jp/engimg/ea31320.htm

About the International Aikido Federation (IAF) position :
http://www.aikido-international.org/info/about-IAF.htm

Best
Yamantaka

Yamantaka
13th October 2000, 10:30
[QUOTE]Originally posted by YAMANTAKA
About the World Games and the occurence of COMPETITION in Aikido :
http://www.wg2001.or.jp/engimg/ea31320.htm
About the International Aikido Federation (IAF) position :
http://www.aikido-international.org/info/about-IAF.htm

YAMANTAKA : c'mon, Guys! anyone else got any information, opinion, explanation, on this thread?
If you do, please tell us!

Rennis
13th October 2000, 11:56
A thread close to home for :) I haven't really heard much about Aikido's participation in the games, outside of the fact that they will be in it. However there has been alot of build up for the Games here in Akita for the past year now and several months ago the TV crews hit the various Aikido dojo in Akita for some coverage (unfortunately I was also interviewed, being the only foreigner there that night). Being that not much happens here in Akita, the games are a big deal. I'll be spending next semester working as a translator for the games and I'll try to get some more info then. However the World Games has a huge range of seemingly random sports involved. MA wise I know there is Karate, Aikido, Jujutsu, Judo, Tae Kwon Do and Sumo slated for the Akita games and I'm pretty sure Kendo and maybe Jukendo will be appearing as well. I think some of it is simply showcasing Japan's "sporting" activities and since there are a few high ranking Aikidoka here in Akita,it is not surprising that they would be called upon to participate. Knowing how all of Akita is pulling together to try and make this a success, it really doesn't surprise me a all that Aikido is making an appearance.

Best Regards,
Rennis Buchner

RDeppe
13th October 2000, 22:04
Demostrations are fine. The link which mentions tanto randori has to be refering to Tomiki people, not aikikia folk.

I suppose for Tomiki folk it is an exellent opportunity, but IMO it's a horrible sport which has done nothing good for Tomiki Aikido-- I like doing knife randori, don't get me wrong-- it's just not a good sport. It is a classic example of a well intentioned idea getting turned on it's head. I really don't understand how anyone can feel good about the end result. Which isn't to say the practitioners aren't very good athletes-- they are; the rules and prominant use of the rules by the participants turn it into a silly event.

My two cents. Sorry to the Tomiki folk I just insulted-- I have done it & the above is my opinion.

Best Regards.

Karl Kuhn
18th October 2000, 05:35
As far as I know, the event in question does not include Shodokan/Tomiki Randori. I would be very interested to hear if this is the case.

As far as being a horrible sport, you may not be far off. While the Randori Shiai events are held at public events, I am not convinced that they offer much in the way of entertainment value. Randori, shiai or not, is a training excercise to develop one's Aikido. It was not designed to prove anything to anyone other than those on the mat and without a fair amount of understanding of the art it may be a tough read.

Regarding tanto randori (there is also toshu, open hand, randori shiai), well the development of open, competative Randori as a training exercise is at the very core of Tomiki's work. There is no "turning on it's head", it is central to Tomiki's work and an opportunity for education not entertainment. A good deal of us feel very good about the lessons we learn in that type of training and in Prof. Tomiki's model for the development of Aikido, thank you very much.

I noticed your address. We you on the matt in Baltimore? Somewhere else? There was good Aikido at that event. It can be hard to see at the pace and in the context of the rules designed to focus the Aikido and keep the play safe, but it's worth looking.

In Budo,
Karl

RDeppe
18th October 2000, 15:33
I haven't been involved with Tomiki Aikido for about six years. I trained in Baltimore for ten years. I have nothing against Randori in the dojo or at seminars in the context of training. But I think they should lose the tournement structure and just round robin people so that everyone one gets 3-4 'matches' regardless of wins with people they don't normally train with. It's the sport part I don't like. Don't get me wrong, I got a lot out of Tomiki Aikido. BTW, I do know that there are some very good randori players sprinkled about the US. My comments aren't ment to be any kind of knock against anyones' ability.

These days I train traditional aiki in DC at Saotome Sensei's dojo.

Thanks, be well.