PDA

View Full Version : Gruzanski and Jodo

John Lindsey
4th December 2003, 15:35
I remember a story once about the late Charles Gruzanski (author of the book Spike and Chain)discussing with Shimizu the idea of him opening the USA branch of Shindo-Muso ryu. It never happened, but I wonder how much training did Gruzanski have in Jodo? Did he train here or in Japan? I know his son Robert is a member here, so maybe he can shed some light on this...

Diane Skoss
8th December 2003, 14:59
Hi John,

Your source was most definitely ill-informed. I checked with Relnick Sensei (who was amongst the earliest non-Japanese Shinto Muso-ryu practitioners) and he sent me the following information:

I knew every foreigner who trained under Shimizu Sensei in the old days (I started training in 1962) and Gruzanski was not one of them. There is always the possibility that Gruzanski may have visited Japan in the old days, and may even have met Shimizu Sensei somewhere. Anyone who visited the dojo or was present at a public demonstration could have. He may have even done a little jo with someone other than Shimizu Sensei, however, he would have left Japan as no more than a beginner, at best. Which means that Shimizu Sensei would never have allowed him to open a USA branch of SMR. In those days, jo was not only unknown to foreigners studying in Japan, it was unknown to the average Japanese.

In addition, under the guidance and supervision of Shimizu Sensei, his small group of foreigners studying under him wrote the Constitution and By-Laws of the JODO FEDERATION OF THE USA (JFUSA) in January 1966 after having worked on it for more than two years. The members of that group were Donn F. Draeger (deceased), Phil Relnick (WA), Quintin Chambers (HI) and Don Buck (NH).

Later that year, the Constitution and By-Laws of the INTERNATIONAL JODO FEDERATION (IJF) were written and established, based on JFUSA.

Gruzanski did take film footage of Shinto Muso-ryu demonstrations; perhaps your informant extrapolated from that? At any rate, I hope this sets the record straight....

Cheers!
Diane Skoss

renfield_kuroda
9th December 2003, 00:13
This actually got me thinking, does anyone know the extent of Draeger's training in Shindomusoryu jo with Shiokawa-gosoke? We've got photos of them training/demoing together, and in one of Draeger's books he uses photos of Shiokawa-gosoke, but I was wondering to what extent Draeger trained with/under Shiokawa-gosoke.

Regards,

r e n

Robert G
9th December 2003, 00:53
Hello my name is Robert C. Gruzanski and my father is the late Charles V. Gruzanski. In reply to John’s question:

In November 1966 three young gentlemen from Waseda University Jodo team instructed my father in Jodo that included Tanjo and Jutte. The three gentlemen Mr. Takanori Iida (2 Dan), Mr. Morimasa Takara (2 Dan) and Mr. Eiji Wakasugi (4th Dan) were all students of Takaji Shimizu. After his training with them he was given the address of Shimizu Sensei’s Zen Nippon Jo-Do Renmei. He never received a reply but subsequently was in contact with Mr. Mitsui Hamaji who is the son of the first student of Shimizu Sensei. He was told by Shimizu Sensei to contact the newly formed Jodo Federation of The United States of America which was currently headed by President Mr. Donn Draeger . My father on September 10, 1967 received a letter from Donn Draeger that Jodo Federation can only be represented by qualified Jodo renshusei members. Area jurisdiction in the Midwest is extended only to menkyo holders who are highly qualified Jodo teachers. He eventually receives a non-Jodo Renshusei membership

Robert G
9th December 2003, 00:56
Any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Diane Skoss
9th December 2003, 02:46
Hi Robert,

Well, that certainly clears up that mystery! Thanks for supplying the details and documentation. Your father has saved many interesting documents; it's great that you are preserving them for posterity.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss