PDA

View Full Version : jiu-jitsu fighting system

Rogier
5th December 2003, 10:19
ju jitsu fighting
Hi Ben,

I’ll comment by each rule… I’m assuming you’re competing by the JJIF rules (Ju-Jitsu International Federation), at least reading what you’ve written the rules are about the same

- no direct strikes to the head (you Can do ridge hand hook punch etc)
About anything going to the side or top of the head is acceptable, of course no full impact, just skin touch. So techniques like uraken, tettsui are good. Especially uraken as that scores a lot!
- no kicks to the legs
no small joint manipulation (the smallest is the wrist)
It’s not allowed to go down to the ground whilst you’re applying a lock, the wrist lock is sometimes used in the 2nd phase (the standing judo part) but very very rarely.
- you must go from striking range to throwing range to grappling range I think
Exactly,
Phase 1: the karate part
Phase 2: the standing judo part (no striking when you or the opponent has a hold)
Phase 3: grappling, biggest difference from judo; leg locks may be used, and you can have someone in a hold whilst he is on his stomach…
- you are supposed to be in each one for at 20 seconds
You need to be in each one at least 20 seconds, referee are becoming stricter about that as they don’t want to see only judo matches. Do remember that if stay too long in one phase they’ll urge you to go to the next one.
- a good throw is worth ippon
yes, but another difference with judo here: a take-down technique can also score you an ippon

- a punch is wazari
a good clean punch can also earn you an Ippon (at least by our rules)
kick I believe is ippon

- submission is ippon
yes, applying strangles or locks can be very effective in this parts

- osae komi is ippon (you need to control the limb for 30 seconds)
20 seconds in our system, and holds are very frequently used (lots of judo players around). Try to work on your holds in such a manner that you can get your opponent to tap out when you’re applying the hold

you may hold for half a second to elbow or knee
not sure about the knee, but holding the elbow shouldn’t be a problem (for some parts just try it in a match, you’ll always get a warning first..)

no throws that are dangerous to you or your attacker
yes, but the most effective things are usually takedowns anyway. However these are some very good throws that are frequently used in matches:
http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/hizaguruma.htm
http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/kouchigari.htm
http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/taniotoshi.htm
http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/uchimata.htm
as for training methods and combinations:

Phase 1
Try to work on three step punch/kick combinations. More than three will become unclear for the judges and less then three will give you too small a chance to score.
My favourite combinations:
- oi-tsuki left hand, gyaku-tsuki right hand (pull left back to your neck), uraken to the side of the head with left hand.
- uraken right hand, follow through with yoko-geri right leg.
- oi-tsuki left hand, gyaku-tsuki right hand, mawashi-geri right leg.
- try to use your leg to fake… fake a mae-geri and make it a mawashi geri (works great), fake ushiro-mawashi-geri and make it a mawashi-geri..

Use your left or right hand to occasionally ‘fake’ and attack, this will usually stop an opponent from attacking and get him out of his rhythm.

Training:
Walk through combinations very slowly till you find some that work for you, then slowly build up the speed till you can do them full speed and remember that you need to chase your opponent! When you get them up to speed use them in randori to find out if they work.

Phase 2
For me the most difficult part is the standing judo part, try to avoid it by building a takedown or throw into your punch/kick combinations. Try to get to a combination where you end up in a very good position to throw; this is the best way to go. Find one or two throws that you like and work on those. Remember the greatest in the world have only one or two throws that they can use perfectly from every situation

training:
try to find out with throws suit you, then do uchi-komi. Use them all the time in randori till it works!

Phase 3
Here the same thing is important as in Phase 2, work on two or three techniques until you can do them all the time. Work on one strangle, one hold and a lock. Sankaku work really well!

training:
My preferred training method is lot’s of randori. Before every randori decide with which kind of technique you are going to try and win. If you succeed stop and go at it again but this time tell your partner which technique you are going to use.

My favourite training exercise is the following:
- You lie down you back and your partner sits on his knees next to you, grabbing for a hold. Count down from 3 to 0 and at zero you both start fighting for the win.
You can do this from various positions.

This exercise really teaches you how to get out of bad situations and how to get into good ones. Try to use setups that you frequently come across in ground situations.

I hope this helps… I’m always available for questions

sepai 85
5th December 2003, 16:37
thanks rogier
that really helps , I truly appreciate it yes the rules are very similer I will definitly work those into my training.do you advocate mawashi geri step down clench tani otoshi ?

Mike Williams
5th December 2003, 18:26
Under these rules, are you allowed to drag your opponent down into groundwork, or is that penalised as in judo?

On a similar note - are you allowed to flop to guard, as often seen in BJJ comps? (I guess not, if you have to stay in stand-up grappling for at least 20 secs)

Not that I would advocate doing either of those things, but if they are something that your opponent might do, it will affect your entry strategy and choice of throws/takedowns.

Cheers,

Mike

Rogier
5th December 2003, 21:18
as my standing judo is not that good I usually let him take me down and mess up his takedown.. :D But getting someone to the floor without proper technique is not that big a problem as far as I know.

Ben, the mawashi-geri to tani-otoshi sound good you will need to ensure that your opponent doesn't step out of the mawashi.

The way I usually use tani is as a take over, give the opponent a shot at a shoulder throw and take that over with your tani..

sepai 85
6th December 2003, 21:27
very true, I ussually try although not as succesfull as I would like to be to cause my opponent to bend down by making a good solid impact with my mawashi geri and as they are rising clinch and tani otoshi and then if I am lucky go into mount get control and if safe go for juji gatami. On a similer note I am considering trying to add tobi juji gatami (flying crossline arm bar) to my arsenal but I am not sure how practical it is any comments ?

anyways i am off to our dojo's yearly christmas bash it promises to be quite the party

domo arigato goziumusu
yours in budo