PDA

View Full Version : [why] no modern jitsu / jutsu forum

Rogier
5th December 2003, 11:22
I sometimes find myself wondering where to post something related to modern jitsu. Should that go into the CQC part (the description would suggest not..)

suggestions??

Mike Williams
5th December 2003, 13:38
I would suggest either the regular JJ forum (the koryu boys will tut and roll their eyes, but it's not like anything else is going on there); or gendai budo - but no-one visits that, either!

Or you could try and tie it in vaguely to either karate or judo, and post it there - some good traffic in both those places.

Or we could ask John for a kakutogi/MMA forum? We would need to find an angle that differentiated it from the myriad other MMA forums on the web, and somehow linked it to "Japanese Martial Arts & Culture".

Wasn't there a sub-forum related to Training Tips & Techniques a while back? Or did I make that up?

Cheers,

Mike

Rogier
5th December 2003, 13:43
it doesn't need to really be MMA.. many modern jitsu types do tie back into the Japanese budo system. MMA would probably be close to what you find on all the other MMA sites on the web.

Under gendai budo we've got:

-gendai budo
-Judo
-Karate
-Aikido
-Shorinji Kempo
-Sumo
-CQC

just scratch judo or karate and replace it with jitsu/jutsu, no one's interested in judo or karate :D

John Lindsey
5th December 2003, 14:25
Sensei A. Powers said it best:

There are only three things that I hate in this world. Modern Jujutsu, people who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

Rogier
5th December 2003, 20:20
gotta agree with you on the Dutch part of that quote :D

what's wrong with modern jitsu?

MarkF
6th December 2003, 12:06
As a kid your age, Rogier, we used to abbreviate jujutsu as "juts" which is probably closer to how it is pronounced, anyway. The 'u' is mostly a throw-off, or "eaten." Jitsu has an entirely different meaning, but that's another story and thread, an old one.

We used to have a Gendai JuJutsu forum here some years ago. At least there was up until the hard drive crash in May 2000, I think. It was here in 1999, anyway. I recall that Danzan-ryu (Kodenkan) was discussed a lot.

I also agree about the Dutch. I have a cousin who is Belgian, but he just made it, safely.;)

Modern jujutsu is disussed in the koryu jujutsu forum, you can post there, if you want, as suggested above, or you can in the judo forum. Were you thinking of that thread concerning JJIF tournament rules and such? I have the rules here, but the booklet is old so I'm not truly sure of what the rules are today, though they are more complicated than rules of the IJF. They use graphs and line drawings. I always said you are welcome to discuss most anything remotely to do with judo, and IMO, modern jujutsu is mostly judo, anyway.

I think the likelyhood of confusion is the reason there isn't such a forum, but if you really want to discuss it, there is always the USJJF website, or you could try the USMAF (not to be confused with Phil Porter's USMAA). Many of the same people in both (the USJJF and the USMAF).

Mark

Rogier
8th December 2003, 06:42
thanks Mark..:smilejapa