PDA

View Full Version : The Last Samurai, movie opinions

Kamiyama
6th December 2003, 07:28
I have a chance to visit the movie theater today and see a wonderful movie on bujutsu.
I sat there to watch the new movie, “The Last Samurai” 2 hours and 24 min short.

The movie is beautiful.
The feelings I got from this movie were that of honor and integrity.
What a proud and focused people.
Wonderful moving Zen.

On the subject of the Ninja.
I did not like the scenes with the warriors dressed in black attacking the samurai at night.
I felt it was totally out of place in the movie.
My opinion would be warriors of that time wouldn’t have done such with such foolishness and carelessness.

Opinions?

Kamiyama, Ralph severe

budoboy
6th December 2003, 16:29
I liked the movie too but felt that several things should have been taken out.

I agree the scene with Ralph that the scene with the ninja was a little over the top. I mean I would imagine ninja being used to make a surgical strike, not an all out assault (w/ 20+ ninja) to kill one person in a place filled with armed retainers. Seemed like a huge waste of skilled manpower.

They should have showed an initial botched attack and the samurai pursuing and killing a couple of the ninja.

Likewise I thought it would be impractical to bring a kusarigama on an assasination mission. Also, one of the ninjas had a pair of sais (but maybe he was from Okinawa:-)

I also thought the movie got a little hokey at the end.

Example ... After the samurai charge on horseback at the machine guns and get mowed down all the Imperial soldiers bow to the dying samurai. Seemed pretty unlikely after so many of there brothers at arms were slaughtered at their hands.

Example ... Tom Cruise's character is allowed to approach the Emperor of Japan with two swords after he had shown himself a traitor by joining the fight against the imperial forces. Cruise could have very easily killed the emperor and none of the Emperor's men were near enough to stop him. Seemed very unlikely.

Jeff Sherwin

choombatta
6th December 2003, 16:35
You guys are pretty much saying what I would.

I did like how they they worked in the 'no mind' dialogue. That was pretty cool.

And the first time they battle the samurai, in that forest.... mmmmm.

doraemon
7th December 2003, 00:37
It's a movie.
And as such is prone to propogating the stereotypes of the people making it.

Especially, them wacky "ninjers."

It may get people interested in REAL Japanese history.

That is an upside.

People could read this book to get a better idea of what went on.
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471089702.html

there are other books like it as well.

Ueno Park in Tokyo has a statue of Saigo Takamori who inspired these events, and its just a damn shame that they didn't do him justice in the movie. He is a much more interesting character than any old "injun fighter" could be.

But Hakujin like looking at other Hakujin, and Cruise is quite a draw. Especially with long hair wearing silk. ;)

Daniel san
8th December 2003, 16:52
Hello,
One ninja wouldn't have been spotted, but there were a ton of 'em. I don't care how silent you are as an individual, that many people are going to be noticed. And then a straight attack pthpbbbt.
The last battle scene. Why didn't the guys on horses circle around to the back of the machine gunners and cannons? What do I know? I suck at Go.

Ting Chuan
9th December 2003, 20:21
Hi,
Just thought i'd put in my two cents. I liked the movie overall. Thought the Ninja attack was more than a little hokey, what was up with the hissing at the end of it?
In a word it was beautifully done. Hopefully it will attract people to study the legitimate arts.
My freind who's a Scotsman to the bone ranked it up there with Braveheart after he saw it.
Just my opinion, Thanks

Rob Acox

Kreth
9th December 2003, 22:32
Originally posted by Ting Chuan
My freind who's a Scotsman to the bone ranked it up there with Braveheart after he saw it.
Funny, I'd heard most Scots didn't like Braveheart, because of things like the missing bridge at the Battle of Stirling Bridge... :D

Jeff

Jay Bell
9th December 2003, 23:31
Yeah...definately the bridge...OH...and the whole real story. I definately missed that ;)

DWeidman
10th December 2003, 00:56
Originally posted by Jay Bell
Yeah...definately the bridge...OH...and the whole real story. I definately missed that ;)

Blah blah.... don't trifle us with details man!

"Nemo me impune laccessit."

-Daniel Weidman

Kreth
10th December 2003, 01:13
Actually, I liked the movie, I just remember reading that. They didn't exactly present it as a documentary.
And to yank this thread back on topic, I'm hoping to see The Last Samurai in the theater, for the battle scenes.

Jeff

ProCell
10th December 2003, 01:39
I saw the movie as well and I did enjoy it very much for what it was. I wish they would of been more creative with the Ninja scene tho the guy with the claws was pretty cool slashing guys up =) I found it pretty cool but wouldnt tom cruise have BIg black bruses and fractured bones from getting popped in the face with that heavy bokken? lol I mean come on hehe.