PDA

View Full Version : Katori Shinto Ryu in N.Y or anywhere else

Dan Harden
6th December 2003, 18:25
Gentlemen and Ladies

After reviewing much that has been written here and in other threads I thought it best to remind those that the Soke and Otake Sensei have graciously allowed the teaching of TSKSR outside of Japan for the first time-but only through Phil Relnick in Woodinville, Washington. This unprecedented move has been on our behalf in order to allow correct teaching outside of Japan. Since there is now an established means to connect with the authentic art, we should all be in support of the effort and its teachers.
Mr. Relnick is spending much time and effort to selflessly discharge his duties, and is slowly and carefully growing his organization.

The use of an arts name or teacher.
I find I am growing increasingly dismayed at the “mentioning” of established arts or teachers names in these pages who do not represent themselves here. Do we need to qualify ourselves or our opinions by using the names and established reputations of others who do not post here?
I have witnessed certain individuals use Otake Sensei’s name as if he were familiar to them. On several occasions and threads one well known gentleman referred to Otake Sensei as a “friend” of his-only to find out later that Otake Sensei barely remembers the man. Turns out this man has visited the Dojo a few times. How does that qualify anyone to use a name or infer a relationship? Upon still further research I find that this particular Japanese Sensei is rather incensed that his name is being used here.

The reason I make this point is that it ill-serves both the teacher and those who are his true friends and only serves to mislead the public. What is the reader left to think?
What are we left with when someone who has met a teacher a few times somehow magically (by reference) appears to be on par with those who have trained with the same teacher for decades. I ask myself, why do these people draw vague reference at all? Why not say it like it is?”

Koryu and alleged Koryu snobbery
In the past year I have once again hesitantly gone out to make new Budo acquaintances. I have thus far met a few of the premier Koryu “returnees” to the west. Every_one_ of them was an exceptionally fine human being willing to stand on their own accomplishments and knowledge and to hold back from name dropping. Upon further discussion (digging and prying really) I found a rather significant wealth of experience and first-hand knowledge about “true” friendships amongst themselves and with the premier Japanese teachers and various arts histories. Indeed I found a treasure trove of information that can be cross referenced and proved true. Again the people involved who are recent “returns” from Japan were open, wiling to share and were anything BUT elitist snobs.
I found it rather odd that many of the people who post here were noticeably absent from any discussion, and the use of their names brought about an immediate response, from resentment to a quiet bemusement. I must add that it was interesting to discover that the mention of some of the Video-star “supposed” Koryu teachers mentioned in these pages as well, have never been invited to Koryu exhibitions in Japan. It seems that in the appropriate circles they are a non-entity. Why should there be a schism between reality and what we read here?

Certain arts (like TSKSR) are simply not available to the public at large. They have chosen (it seems rather wisely) to remain a small and dedicated group largely outside of the popular Budo circles. Though open for teaching, they choose quality over quantity. Might I suggest that those who are occasional visitors to the school refrain from using the name of its teachers so casually? This certainly seems fitting since they have no presence here.

In closing I wish to add that the above is a personal opinion only. Should they wish to make a presence known here, there are those qualified to speak on several ryu’s behalf that are able to post here-they simply choose not to do so-any Ryu's business being just that-it's own.

Let’s put aside this casual use of others reputations and names, and allegations of elitist snobbery and honestly support the efforts of those who are trying the grand experiment-Koryu outside of Japan.
We may be the ones to benefit.
Cheers
Dan

A. Bakken
8th December 2003, 09:03
Does this mean that none of the TSKSR dojos in Europe are approved/legitimate?

Originally posted by Dan Harden
[...]Soke and Otake Sensei have graciously allowed the teaching of TSKSR outside of Japan for the first time-but only through Phil Relnick in Woodinville, Washington. This unprecedented move has been on our behalf in order to allow correct teaching outside of Japan.

Dan Harden
8th December 2003, 11:58
I actually wanted to edit that post-but we all know about the infamous E-budo time limit.
I meant to say for the first time-"In the Americas." Me being an American and adressing the N.Y. issue on that other thread, I remained focused on the topic at hand without broadening my scope.
There are indeed Legitimate teachers in Europe. The authorized ones keep a rather low profile as well.
Just ask about their connection and authorization from Otake Sensei. That should clear things up straight away.

Cheers
Dan