PDA

View Full Version : snapped tanjo

renfield_kuroda
8th December 2003, 00:13
We had our second Uchidaryu tanjo seminar this weekend. Niina-gosoke was demonstrating a technique; a block for a leg strike from a longer weapon. My brand new tanjo cracked in half like a toothpick.
*sigh* Barely even used but twice...

Regards,
r e n

Steve Delaney
8th December 2003, 00:26
Were you using akakashi or shirakashi? Sounds quite alarming to have a perfectly new weapon break like that, with the minimum of usage.

renfield_kuroda
8th December 2003, 06:53
Standard Japanese Shirakashi...couldn't see anything obvious like a knot in the wood or anything. Bad luck and a good strike, I guess.

Regards,

r e n

Arne Oster
8th December 2003, 09:17
Hi,
This never happened to me, even though I've experienced some pretty hard contact (strictly tanjo vs bokken kata practice), though I don't train in Uchida Ryu tanjojutsu as often as I should. Never had a jo break, either. I've seen it happen to others, though. Not any quality jo, as far as I can remember.

Regards
Arne Oster

R A Sosnowski
8th December 2003, 14:20
Originally posted by renfield_kuroda
Standard Japanese Shirakashi...couldn't see anything obvious like a knot in the wood or anything. Bad luck and a good strike, I guess.

Regards,

r e n

It happens.

I haven't had a tanjo or a jo break on me, but I did have a Naginata e-bu break - the sad part was that I had loaned it to an associate who ended up breaking it on my thigh (an off-target sune-uchi) during shiai in August 1998.

From the outside, there was no sign of the flaw, but it was clear from examining the break that there was an internal flaw.

renfield_kuroda
9th December 2003, 00:10
I should explain how the tanjo broke, then it might seem more likely.
The strike was a wide, hard, fast swing to the left thigh. The block Niina-gosoke did was: retract the left foot and, both hands on the tanjo, place the tanjo tip on the ground between and in front of the feet, making a nice triangle (kinda like a golf putt stance?)
So with both ends of the tanjo held fast, it just buckled and snapped.

Niina-gosoke seemed surprised, too, so I reckon it's not so common, though he's got a couple of hand-made jutte that used to be tanjo in a previous life, so it does happen.

Fun!

Regards,
r e n

David A. Hall
12th December 2003, 23:37
Originally posted by renfield_kuroda

...The strike was a wide, hard, fast swing to the left thigh. The block Niina-gosoke did was: retract the left foot and, both hands on the tanjo, place the tanjo tip on the ground between and in front of the feet, making a nice triangle (kinda like a golf putt stance?)
So with both ends of the tanjo held fast, it just buckled and snapped...r e n

I don't reacall an Uchida Ryu kata like that...or am I misreading your description? I've never had a tanjo break in Uchida Ryu kata, and I've worked with some heavy handed training partners...Don't worry Meik. I won't mention your name. :~) In any case, I don't know of any hard blocks like that against an opponent's weapon in Uchida Ryu. Which kata were you practicing?

I have broken a standard jo in Shindo Muso Ryu kata against Donn Draeger. I was pushing at the wrong angle...and ended up with two tanjo! His smile cut right through me.

Dave Hall

renfield_kuroda
15th December 2003, 00:46
Not entirely sure if it was even Uchida-ryu. The seminars Niina-gosoke have been doing are more like "learn ma-ai if someone swings at you with a steel pipe" for us iai folks, so I doubt we were doing proper Uchida-ryu kata.
Then again the way I've seen our folks practice Uchida-ryu and Shindomuso-ryu, thinks break quite often.

Regards,
r e n

P.S. There's some photos of Draeger-sensei practicing with Shiokawa-gosoke, but I'm too young to have ever seen it live.