PDA

View Full Version : Tachi uchi no kurai, Muso Shinden Ryu

A. Bakken
9th December 2003, 07:37
Are there recorded (DVD/VHS) demonstrations of the MSR Tachi uchi no kurai kata available? Or even a book that shows photo sequences of them?

R A Sosnowski
9th December 2003, 14:51
Originally posted by A. Bakken
Are there recorded (DVD/VHS) demonstrations of the MSR Tachi uchi no kurai kata available? Or even a book that shows photo sequences of them?

Check out http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product629.html

I173 Iaido: Sono Riai to Shinzui

$42.00

This incredible book has finally been reprinted! Iaido: Sono Riai To Shinzui is Danzaki Sensei's record of Muso Shinden Ryu as it was taught to him by the legendary Nakayama Hakudo. It includes demonstrations of all of the iai sets in Muso Shinden Ryu: Shoden, Chuden, Oku Iai Suwariwaza and Oku Iai Tachiwaza. The most exciting thing though is the first book to include all 6 sets of Muso Shinden Ryu kumitachi! For anyone interested in iai or kenjutsu, this is an incredible resource. Danzaki Sensei himself demonstrates throughout the book, with hundreds of photographs.
351 pages. Softcover. Japanese Language.

The first set of Muso Shinden Ryu kumitachi is Tachi uchi no kurai.

I have not seen or heard of MSR Tachi uchi no kurai on video or DVD. The only video of Tachi uchi no kurai I know of is MJER at Video Catalog from Sei Do Kai (http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_video.htm):

VID-2 SPRING SEMINAR/TACHI UCHI NO KURAI
1. Don Harvey's Seminar, at the University of Guelph, May 1993.
2. Tachi Uchi no Kurai partner practice: C. Nunan and K. Taylor.

VID-16 TACHI UCHI NO KURAI
Features Kim Taylor and Jeff Broderick "learning the set". The second part (from VID-2) features Taylor and Chris Nunan performing and demonstrating some common mistakes.

As I do not do MSR Iaido, I do not know what the differences in Tachi uchi no kurai are between MSR and MJER, but, given that the MSR and MJER Iai Gata are very similar, it would not surprise me if the kumitachi of Tachi uchi no kurai were likewise similar.

HTH

A. Bakken
9th December 2003, 21:21
Thanks, Raymond.

Have anyone seen the "Sono Riai to Shinzui" book? It sounds like a must-have.

To Kim Taylor (if you're reading this): Is there any possibility of a VCD release of these videos?

R A Sosnowski
9th December 2003, 22:56
Thanks, Raymond.

To Kim Taylor (if you're reading this): Is there any possibility of a VCD release of these videos?

You're welcome.

I saw a hardback copy several years ago that I just missed being able to buy. :( I have been looking for it since then, and have recently ordered a copy when it was republished. :)

Kim has made VCD copies of his most recent tapes available: see VCD Catalog from Sei Do Kai (http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_vcd.html). Unfortunately I do not know if he plans (or even if he has the capability) to reissue previous videotapes on VCD.

Steve Delaney
10th December 2003, 00:48
Thanks, Raymond.

Aage,

I bought this book in Tokyo about three weeks ago and it's a very interesting read. However, if you don't read Japanese, this manual might be a bit cryptic for you. Some of the photos in the book are not of the greatest quality though.

Hopr this was useful.