PDA

View Full Version : Comments on recent ad featuring aiki-sword

Diane Mirro
13th December 2003, 21:14
This ad ran in a free weekly here in San Antonio. Now, the instructor is someone I have known and respected for over 10 years--one of my former Aikido instructors. He has a background in Aikido which, at least until recently, featured little to no weapons-work. I do not think he intended to mislead anyone, but I thought it was significant that an ad with bokuto came out at this time, with the recent media interest in swordwork. Previous ads featured a photo of empty-handed technique.

I find this ad disturbing. I think it implies--to the public, at least--a focus and competency in swordwork which has not been a hallmark of this dojo in the past, and is not evidenced to me in the current photograph. I wanted to send him my impressions, but perhaps he would take it more seriously if he heard it from others involved in the Japanese sword community. He is an intelligent, rational person, so please keep this in mind as you formulate your comments. I will email the link to him--or not, if the general consensus here is that there is no problem. Thank you.

Excel Glenn
14th December 2003, 02:03
Diane,

Having had a recent run in with an ad that raised my eyebrows, but luckily panned out as beign legit, I have to say that this ad doesn't claim anything that is out of the ordinary. It definitely is using the image of the sword to attract people to the dojo. When you have to compete against the belt mills, this is a forgivable transgression, imo. However, it is not making any rash claims about sword work. In fact, it doesn't even mention it.

Most of the good aikido instructors I have worked with who include work with bokuto or boken keep it at the level that was quoted from the website. It is an extension of one's taijutsu.

Usually, the dojo with which I have been familiar have had an "advisor" who works with the aikido sensei. This has usually been a person who was informed about iaido, kenjutsu, or at least kendo. As such, an instructor can then use this resource to expand the offerings of aikido bokuto work. It may be interesting to find out if this is the case at this dojo. It also may be that this person has sought out more instruction in the field of sword work in order to expand the horizons of his students.

On the surface of this, I don't see anything that necessarily raises a red flag. Aikido does traditionally include the bokuto and the jo as weapons. If there was a wild claim, then I would defintitely say that an investigation would be helpful.

Ben Bartlett
14th December 2003, 05:00
Glenn has a point. While it's true that someone who wanted to learn about JSA would be better served by going to a kendo, iaido, or (if they can find one) kenjutsu instructor, it's better they go to a good aikido instructor than, say, Ashida Kim's Flying Dragon Sword School. I understand your concerns, of course, but aikido (from what little I know of it) does involve using a bokuto at times, so it's not a complete misrepresentation. And, from what you say, it seems like the fellow might point people in the right direction if what they are primarily interested in is JSA. It's definitely a tough call, though.

At any rate, from your description of him, he seems like a reasonable sort of fellow, and one who probably isn't trying to misrepresent himself or his dojo, so I think it would be at least worth it to raise your concerns with him.

Kenji Fujiwara
14th December 2003, 10:29
Several years ago DM organized a JSA show and invited a group with questionable lineage. When confronted on this issue, she stated that she was not a koryu cop. In fact she attacked on well known koryu author and practioner.

Now she's policing aikido schools.

Brian Owens
14th December 2003, 10:42
Originally posted by Diane Mirro
This ad ran in a free weekly here in San Antonio. Now, the instructor is someone I have known and respected for over 10 years--one of my former Aikido instructors. He has a background in Aikido which, at least until recently, featured little to no weapons-work. I do not think he intended to mislead anyone, but I thought it was significant that an ad with bokuto came out at this time, with the recent media interest in swordwork...I find this ad disturbing...He is an intelligent, rational person, so please keep this in mind as you formulate your comments.
In one photo on his web site I see a rack of bokken on the wall in the background. Purhaps he has expanded his own practice of sword and staff since you trained there.

When I began training in Aikiken and Aikijo, my school was one of the few in the area that had much emphasis on weapons, and the only one, to my knowledge, that had seperate "weapons only" classes.

Recently, I've become aware of many Aikido dojo that are "returning to their roots" and bringing back that aspect of the art.

I think it's a good thing, and I don't see anything about the ad -- on the surface -- that would disturb me. Of course, I don't have your personal knowledge of the school/teacher, so you are in a better position than I to make that call.

A. Bakken
14th December 2003, 11:13
The question I am left with, is this: Why is the guy on the right attempting to run his opponent down, instead of krhitting krhim krhard on the krhead with his big bokuto? :p

Brian Owens
14th December 2003, 11:42
Originally posted by A. Bakken
The question I am left with, is this: Why is the guy on the right attempting to run his opponent down, instead of krhitting krhim krhard on the krhead with his big bokuto? :p
:D Or, as Jose Jimenes (sp?) once said, "Someone kuhnocked me on the head with a big kuhnife."

Seriously though, it's an example of irimi. As the opponent's sword comes down in shomen giri the defender moves off the line and enters, raising his sword as he does so.

Applying a tsuka-ate while knocking his opponent to the ground, he then has options on what level of lethality his next move must have.

Diane Mirro
14th December 2003, 20:12
Originally posted by Kenji Fujiwara
Several years ago DM organized a JSA show and invited a group with questionable lineage. When confronted on this issue, she stated that she was not a koryu cop. In fact she attacked on well known koryu author and practioner.

INow she's policing aikido schools.

1) I served as Martial Arts Coordinator for the annual show organized and produced by Japanese Sword dealer Michael Quigley. This show had been in existence--with martial arts demonstrations--for 15 years previous to my involvement. The group in question has been a feature of the show long before I came on the scene. And none of the other demonstrators who attended the show--including, over the last 5 years, a large selection of very well-respected practitioners of koryu and gendai arts with experience far exceeding my own--ever had an issue with the group you mention.

2) If you read my text, you will see that I am not attacking or policing anyone--I am asking for the opinion of the group here. From what I have read so far, I realize that I may have been reading into the ad--therefore, my mind is at ease, and I see no reason to chat with my former instructor about my concerns.

3) We are all on a path of learning--not just swordwork, but life itself. I don't have a problem admitting that I am not perfect, and I do not expect anyone else to be. I will keep doing my best. And, you know what? The positive feedback I get about my actions past and present hugely outweighs the occasional negative. Thanks, all of you, for your comments.

Kenji Fujiwara
14th December 2003, 20:31
Originally posted by Diane Mirro I find this ad disturbing. ..... If you read my text, you will see that I am not attacking or policing anyone .....

If that is not an attack, then .....

koma
14th December 2003, 20:52
I agree with Mr. Manry here. It's obviously a marketing tactic. I'm suprised it wasn't seen as such in the first place. Especially if you are familiar with the man.

Brian Owens
14th December 2003, 21:08
If that is not an attack, then .....
"So-and-so is a total fake! Here is his site. I want everyone to call him and tell him he's a jerk."

That's an attack.

"I saw this ad, and I find it disturbing. What do you all think? [paraphrased]" "I do not think he intended to mislead anyone..." "He is an intelligent, rational person, so please keep this in mind as you formulate your comments..."

I don't see that as an attack at all.

"Several years ago DM organized a JSA show and invited a group with questionable lineage. When confronted on this issue, she stated that she was not a koryu cop. In fact she attacked on (sic) well known koryu author and practioner. [No evidence or corroborating facts given]"

That one looks quite confrontational to me.

Kenji Fujiwara
14th December 2003, 23:52
Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
I don't see that as an attack at all.

that's because you have a thing for the Big Bird.

Brian Owens
15th December 2003, 08:44
that's because you have a thing for the Big Bird.
The only Big Bird I know about is a Sesame Street character.

I don't understand the reference.

Scott Irey
16th December 2003, 04:12
Mr. Fujiwara,

First the fact that you have waited 2-3 years to initiate a very weak attack against Ms. Mirro in regards to an even that took place 2-3 years ago caused me to speculate...

Next when you found no allies in your attack and instead found board members pointing out that you appear to be the one making an unwarrented attack you resort to name calling...I no longer speculate, I now theorize that:

1) You are either small of stature and suffer from the insecurities that are sometimes associated with men of small stature.

2) Your manhood is small of stature and you suffer from the insecurities that are sometimes associated with men whose manhood falls short of the norm.

3) You are a small petty person who has nothing better to do than wait for 2-3 years to grind an axe concerning a percieved problem, of which you have not enough information to form an educated opinion. Very typical behaviors of a small petty person

4) Perhaps all of the above are true.

An appology extended to Ms. Mirro in regards to the name calling would certainly go along ways towards reversing my opinions of you. Failure to apologise would strengthen my belief in the above theories. Theories 1 and 2 could easily be disproven with some hastily posted photographs. As for theory 3....keep posting and let us make an educated opinion.

Warmest Regards,

Brian Owens
16th December 2003, 04:39
Originally posted by Scott Irey
2) Your manhood is small of stature and you suffer from the insecurities that are sometimes associated with men whose manhood falls short of the norm...2 could easily be disproven with some hastily posted photographs.
No! Please don't! :D

pgsmith
16th December 2003, 18:18
Thanks Scott!
Someone had to step up and take over the razor sharp wit that we've been lacking since Toby unfortunately abandoned us. You sir have just done that very thing with a tongue as sharp as a surgeon's scalpel! Of course, we are now going to expect you to keep to the standard that you just set! :)

Cheers,

Ron Tisdale
16th December 2003, 20:35
Ouch! Can you say 'scathing'????

Kudos Scott. Well, said, well timed, well placed.

Say Ken, I'm in Phila. Where do you train?

Ron Tisdale

Jack B
16th December 2003, 21:24
As a completely unrelated diversion, I was wondering if Ken Fujiwara is descended from the famous Fujiwara clan of northern Honshu.

Basho traveled that country, and wrote a famous haiku on the site of their former capital city, Hiraizumi. The Fujiwara had lost a great battle exactly 500 years earlier, and Basho sat and wept as he looked out upon what was left of the once-glorious city.

Natsu kusa ya
Tsuwamonodomo ga
Yume no ato

Summer grasses!
The warriors (are)
Traces of dream
(literal)

All that remains of
Those brave warriors’ dreamings –
These summer grasses.
(trans. Stryk)

This is a very famous haiku and, unfortunately, it doesn't translate well. We expect 'no' instead of 'ga' on line 2 if they were the soldiers' dreams, but instead it hints that the soldiers themselves were traces of dreams.

The sounds too are long and strong in the first line, insistent and mournful in the second, but short and final in the last line. True Greatness.

Ron Tisdale
17th December 2003, 13:44
Nice one Jack. Thanks for posting that!
Ron