PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on first iaito.

Benjamin Meijer
15th December 2003, 16:43
Hell Everyone,

I am currently searching for my first iaito. Because i'm a poor college guy. I can't spend too much money (under $300).
Till now i've picked 3 iaito's whih I am interrested in namely;

Hanwei/Paul Cheb nami iaito
Tozando ka-25(Higo Koshirae)
Last Legend Kaze maru Field Kaze (200 series)

Which of the 3 would you pick and why.
yes I have a sensei(http://www.nkr.nl/Renbukan/) and he told me to get an iaito.

Personally I prefer a steel blade instead of the normal ZN/BR/AL blade. Also I know the shops like swordstore etc. (but i'm not interrested in them).

Hopefully you can provide me with some more info

Yours in Budo,

Benjamin Meijer

Gomur
15th December 2003, 16:45
Tozando Higo Koshirae Basic Ka-25

Personally own it. Train with it. Love how it feels very nice overall.

Shimura
15th December 2003, 16:47
Out of personal taste I would go with the Tozando. Al blade, but great fittings and furniture. If you want steel and are not interested in swordstore then you probably can't go wrong with the Paul Chen.

P.S. I understand trying to go to school and buy swords. I'm looking for a good shinken, and you know how those prices are!

DCPan
15th December 2003, 17:27
Originally posted by Benjamin Meijer

Hanwei/Paul Cheb nami iaito
Tozando ka-25(Higo Koshirae)
Last Legend Kaze maru Field Kaze (200 series)

Personally I prefer a steel blade instead of the normal ZN/BR/AL blade. Also I know the shops like swordstore etc. (but i'm not interrested in them).

I would go for the KA-25 Higo Koshirae.

Reason: while each piece would vary, "chances" are the iaito will match your training needs better in terms of weight, balance, and type of fitting "for training".

While you may get a steel blade for the others, tennis elbow is not your friend.

:D

Martyn van Halm
16th December 2003, 08:59
Benjamin,
Like we discussed in private, I have a KA-45 you can try - the blade is the same as the KA-25. Also, my girlfriend is going to buy the KA-25 soon. If it arrives before you make your choice, I'd be happy to give you a review...

Brian Owens
16th December 2003, 10:04
I currently own a Paul Chen replica tachi. I like it as a display piece.

I used to have a Tozando iaito, but it was stolen when my house was burglarized a few years ago.

I'm not familiar with Last Legend swords.

I'm in the market for a new iaito. Of the three you mentioned I would go for the Tozando if they had the exeptionally long blade I need at a price I could justify (their only 2.65 is a Masakuni Dotanuki replica, and a bit pricey). Instead I'm going with SDK Supplies.

Of the three on your list, I would recommend Tozando for you. Since you won't be doing cutting nor needing a live blade for a while, the Tozando seems the best choice. They are made in Japan for practitioners of Japanese swordsmanship. The fittings are excellent, and the fitting of the fittings, ito, and saya is very good -- at least in the case of the example I've seen. The KA-25 is at the lower end of their line, so I wouldn't expect too much, but you get what you pay for. It'll do the job you need it to do, and you can always move up or change brands later, after you graduate from college and have more discretionary income.

Good luck in your endeavor.

ulvulv
16th December 2003, 11:59
If you need a sword longer than 2.45 shaku, do not buy the higo, it will feel very thin and fragile. I borrowed my girlfriends 2.35 higo while awaiting my new iaito, and it was a very light and nice sword. A guy in the club has a 2-6 higo, and it feels too skinny and unstable.
There is many things to learn and internalize the first time doing iai, if you are bothered with a too heavy sword as well, it will be just too much. In my opinion, you can not find a much better beginner-sword. After a while, you may settle for a heavier sword.

tddeangelo
16th December 2003, 14:28
I'll buck the trend...

I suggest the Paul Chen Nami. I tried Tozando's, Nosyu's, Meirin's, and Chen's, and I liked the Chen the best. I opted for the "Gorin" and the leather wrap, although now I'm wishing I had gone the whole 9 yards and gotten the Tsuru. The tsuka just feels "right".

Anyway, I could train happily with the Nami. It is SUPERBLY balanced and well constructed. I was only marginally impressed with the Tozando's I've handled, although I know there is a loyal following for them. I seriously doubt there is a lack of quality in any of the swords (don't know about the Last Legend...never saw one).

The Nami will have a stiffer blade than a Tozando, but the Tozando will probably be a shade lighter. The Nami will have a more substantial tsuka than most Tozando's, but I shouldn't generalize, I guess.

I went with the Chen's because I am tall and have a large build. The more "meaty" tsuka was nice, and I like the stiffness of the blade. The balance, as I said, is perfect. These swords were designed specifically with a beginner in mind and they are great. I recommend them without a hesitation.

If you want more info, feel free to send me a private message or an email.

Regards,

Brian Owens
16th December 2003, 23:33
Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
I'm in the market for a new iaito. Of the three you mentioned I would go for the Tozando if they had the exeptionally long blade I need at a price I could justify (their only 2.65 is a Masakuni Dotanuki replica, and a bit pricey). Instead I'm going with SDK Supplies.
Well, I just visited the Tozando web site, and they're having a sale on some iaito. The Masakuni Dotanuki is reduced to the point that it is now, including shipping and handling, $98.00 less than the SDK model I was considering (although the SDK has a real gold habaki and a tsuba that I prefer).

Looks like some meditation (or a flip of a coin) is in order before next payday.