PDA

View Full Version : Aiki jo is thicker than SMR?

Mekugi
16th December 2003, 07:51
Yeah, I ordered a jo via catalog, and when I got it I noticed that it was thicker than normal. I questioned why and I found that the aiki jo as a standard is thicker than the SMR "style" I had. News to me! Hmmp...more careful next time methinks.

Anyone else had this experience? Does it really make a difference?

-Russ

gmlc123
16th December 2003, 12:21
Re: Difference. It's really a personal preference, depending on hand size. There are a few SMR jodoka that tend use a 27.4 mm Aikijo however most use a std 25.4mm, and I've never seen a Japanese SMR teacher that likes the feel of an aikijo or uses one in lieu of the thinner jo.

For me I personally like the 26.5mm thickness specified in Jodo Kyohan, but you need to get them custom made.

R A Sosnowski
16th December 2003, 14:20
Originally posted by Mekugi
Yeah, I ordered a jo via catalog, and when I got it I noticed that it was thicker than normal. I questioned why and I found that the aiki jo as a standard is thicker than the SMR "style" I had. News to me! Hmmp...more careful next time methinks.

Anyone else had this experience? Does it really make a difference?

-Russ

SMR Jo is made to work with the SMR Bokuto, which simulates some sort of "standard" katana. Stick work in this case would be to be all finesse.

Most Aikijo work is Jo vs. Jo. Seems to me that a beefier stick would be better for banging two blunt weapons together.

FWIW,

gmlc123
16th December 2003, 15:04
Originally posted by R A Sosnowski
SMR Jo is made to work with the SMR Bokuto

Not sure this holds true.. I agree the sori is more pronounced on a traditional SMR bokuto than a std bokken from a martial arts store, but how many Jodoka have a true SMR Bokuto? not many I suspect.

The thickness of a Jo will not affect the hasuji of techniques or kihon or uchikomi, nor much else but add a little extra weight for the practitioner. IMO finesse is nothing more than a result of proper execution of form along with correct relaxed grip, tenouchi and ki-ken-tai ichi than anything to do with matching Jo thickness and bokuto sori.

ulvulv
16th December 2003, 21:55
I believe that the misconception that "bigger is better" also has a room in jo-circles. I practise with a thick jo now, because my previous slim jo vanished during a practisebreak(couple of years it was, actually)
One day i will buy a new thin jo. I have a warped thin jo that is undergoing treatment just now. I am doing an "economy-treatment" if it doesnt work, I will try the more advanced treatment that is bescribed in the "warped jo" thread, including steam and a plastic tube

the thin jo just feels "sharper", like a shinken versus a iaito. Weell not quite, but almost....
:rolleyes:

Tim Atkinson
16th December 2003, 21:56
I personally use a thicker jo in order to replicate the weight of the lovely white oak jo that my seniors have (:mad: read jealous).

A thicker jo allows me to use the weight of the jo to "do the work" and means I am less tempted to apply that unwanted shoulder power.

I also have large hands and I feel that the standard jo gets lost, and feel less substantial.

Andy Watson
22nd December 2003, 13:03
I use the thinner of the two sizes mentioned above but in our dojo we have a girl who uses a thin and very low density jo (don't ask me how but it is much lighter) and a guy who uses a telegraph pole.

While I stick to my own weapons at seminars, I do like to do rotational training in the dojo i.e. leaving the weapons on the floor and changing places. This allows us to train with different partners as well as use different weapons. The differences in feeling have already been discussed and I would agree with all of them. However, to actually have a change in feeling and use different weapons makes interesting training. You need to balance the technique up in terms of what you are using and who your partner is. Many of our students prefer to use their own weapons but we urge them to develop their versatility by using any range.