PDA

View Full Version : SHURI RYU in SARASOTA ?

BULLDOG
16th December 2003, 11:47
Hello,

HELP!

Could you please provide any perspective on Shuri ryu.

I live in Sarasota, Florida and will be going back to traditional martial arts in 1/2004. Sarasota has limited options in regards to this search but we have at least three Shuri ryu dojo’s to choose from. The three Shuri ryu dojo’s Shihans are Donna Judge, Mat Baker and Steven Roensch.

I appreciate your in put in regards to this style, instructors and any suggestion.

Thank you.

BULLDOG
Ed Barton

CEB
16th December 2003, 20:09
What is it you are looking for in a Karate style? What about Shuri Ryu appeals to you. I don't want to give my personal opinion on the system because it may be just the thing for you and just not good for me or visa versa.

Do you like Shotokan? Any certain reasons for leaving Shotokan? Shuri Ryu has some of its roots in Shotokan.

Are you familiar with James Horne? He does not do Shuri Ryu but he is from Sarasota.

WillowPineBudo
16th December 2003, 20:42
I have had the pleasure of training w/ both Honshi Roensch and Shihan Judge and both are wonderful instrustors and traditionally rooted.

Good Luck!

BULLDOG
17th December 2003, 03:39
Hello CEB,

I still enjoy Shotokan.

I not found a creditable Shotokan dojo in Sarasota. Any suggstion?

My inquiry into Shuri ryu is that they are the only traditional schools that I am aware of.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

BULLDOG
Ed Barton

CEB
17th December 2003, 03:58
If by traditional you mean can trace its syllabus back to Japan or Okinawa then I would look elsewhere. If that is not important to you then I wouldn't worry about, try it and see if you enjoy it. Shuri Ryu was invented in Phoenix Az based on what the pioneers of the USKA had been able to bring back home. But if you just want to work out its fine and probably a good bunch of people. The stances are wide and long The kata include some shotokan forms. Their Naihanchi more resembles Tekki than Okinawian Naihanchi so you may feel at home. James Horne is in Sarasota. I haven't been to his dojo but he was on my Kobudo review board when I tested for Nidan back in 1990. He is good Kobudo man. His Karate is Shorin Ryu. I can send you his contact information. He taught a class once in Illinios I went to. He likes to workout hard. Or at least he was in real good shape 10 years ago.

BULLDOG
17th December 2003, 12:35
Hello CEB,

Yes, please send me the contact information for James Horne.

Thank you.

Ed Barton

BULLDOG
17th December 2003, 12:40
Hello kelticmutt,

What would be the diffrence between Shihans Judge and Roensch?

I am not asking who is better but what if any are their diifrences in how they teach, their focus and anything else that you wish to add?

You are the perfect person to ask.

Thank you

BULLDOG
Ed Barton

Richard Horrowi
17th December 2003, 21:30
Bulldog,

Steve Roensch teaches American Shinto Yoshin Jiujitsu along with Shuri Ryu Karate. Donna Judge does Shuri Ryu and some Kobudo. Donna studied directly under John Pachivas for years, Roensch did as well but had other Karate Instructors. I believe if you choose Roenschs school you'd be learning less Karate from him and more than likely be learning under one of his Yudansha. Roenschs specialty is Jiujutsu and travels teaching the Jiujitsu via seminars.

Mr. James Smith I see you train under Reynal Perez. He's a hell of a nice guy!

Richard Horrowitz

TMD
29th December 2003, 15:43
Hi Bulldog.

If you interested in Shotokan Karate, I teach a class at the YMCA Outpost in Bradenton. Bradenton might be a bit of a drive. You can also find a Shotokan karate class at Golds Gym on Bee Ridge Road. The class in Sarasota is run by Rick Hotton. He teaches a very good class. There is also a class in North Port run by Paul and Soo Moon. They are the US reps for KUGB and are wonderful.

My classes are on Saturday mornings 9am to 10am. I also have an early bird training on Fridays 6am to 7am at my home.

If you are interested call the YMCA Outpost.

Good Luck,
Tracy Daubert