PDA

View Full Version : Kenjutsu Dojo (Calgary), Sensei, People...ANYTHING

Grisha
21st December 2003, 03:36
I am desperately trying to find a Dojo so I can start early in learning Kenjutsu - Iaido - Battoujutsu in Calgary Alberta Canada.

I am currently in Aikido and wish to continue as long as I live but I have no idea how to get into what I love the most which is the art of the sword but cannot find ANYWHERE here which will train it...I checked phone books, the net, stores, and my own sensei's but nothing comes.

I know all about the St. Paul's Kenjutsu House but this is too far for me to travel T_T can anyone help me out.

Brian Owens
21st December 2003, 10:15
Here is a link to a kendo dojo in Calgary. Many kendo clubs also offer iaido.

I don't know how up-to-date this information is, but it's worth a try:

Calgary Kendo
Stephen Moses
227 Coventry Rd. NE
Calgary T3K 5H6

email: SWMoses@cbe.ab.ca

FastEd
21st December 2003, 12:00
For a fairly complete listing of Kendo/Iaido dojo's in Canada you can check both:

Canadian Kendo Federation (http://www.kendo-canada.com/ckf_dojoadr.htm)

or the

Canadian Iaido Association (http://www.iaido.ca/links/dojos.php)

This will cover your Iai/Batto interest. For the Kenjutsu part, you can do Kendo and learn the kendo no kata. Other then that, keep your eyes open, check the the seminar announcments on this website or the iaido-l listserve and go to one.

Grisha
21st December 2003, 23:38
Thank you from the bottom of my heart ^_^

gendzwil
22nd December 2003, 00:33
The link to Calgary Kendo Club is current, Steve Moses is running the show there, he's 3rd dan. There's also Shiono-sensei in Banff who visits when he has time, usually Sundays, he's 6th dan. No iaido in Calgary at this time, although there is a fellow there who is trying to set up a club and searching for space right now.

badmojo
22nd December 2003, 03:49
Is Inaba Sensei no longer teaching Katori Shinto Ryu?

His link is http://www.calgaryaikikai.com/sensei.htm

Also seems to have a fairly reputable Aikido school if your not there already...

Grisha
22nd December 2003, 06:43
Ah, I have been to a Seminar under Inaba Sensei and should have asked him there...dang oh well, next Seminar coming in February and most likely my test too T_T

I will ask him about this.

Brian Owens
22nd December 2003, 09:05
Originally posted by Grisha
I know all about the St. Paul's Kenjutsu House but this is too far for me to travel...
BTW, if that's the same as "Noble House Kenjutsu" there has been some discussion of them on this board, in either the Baffling Budo or Bad Budo forum IIRC.

Based on what I've seen, being too far for you to travel may be a blessing in disguise.

gendzwil
22nd December 2003, 13:58
How on earth would Inaba be teaching KSR? I wasn't aware anyone in Canada was licensed.

Grisha
22nd December 2003, 15:41
Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
BTW, if that's the same as "Noble House Kenjutsu" there has been some discussion of them on this board, in either the Baffling Budo or Bad Budo forum IIRC.

Based on what I've seen, being too far for you to travel may be a blessing in disguise.

lol this may be true, I just feel that I must get into Kenjutsu/Iaido A.S.A.P. because of how old I am, the earlier I train and learn, the better my body will function with it.

badmojo
22nd December 2003, 17:20
Originally posted by gendzwil
How on earth would Inaba be teaching KSR? I wasn't aware anyone in Canada was licensed.

Can't answer that intelligently as I don't know the man myself, just saw a fair bit of info on the website I provided regarding it.

grmnsplx
30th December 2011, 19:07
I am desperately trying to find a Dojo so I can start early in learning Kenjutsu - Iaido - Battoujutsu in Calgary Alberta Canada.

I am currently in Aikido and wish to continue as long as I live but I have no idea how to get into what I love the most which is the art of the sword but cannot find ANYWHERE here which will train it...I checked phone books, the net, stores, and my own sensei's but nothing comes.

I know all about the St. Paul's Kenjutsu House but this is too far for me to travel T_T can anyone help me out.

This late but I teach kenjustsu a my club. It's relatively new.
At the Calgary Rakushinkan we practice kenjustsu and iaido - Onoha Itto Ryu, Mugen Shinto Ryu. Feel free to contact me if you (or anyone else) are interested.
my website can be found here: Calgary Rakushinkan (http://www.calgaryrakushinkan.com)

A. Fain
1st January 2012, 00:38
There is also Chris Gilham's dojo, the Ka Muso Kai. They practice Iaido, Kenjutsu, and Jodo. Went to a seminar there last year and met some great people! :D

grmnsplx
25th March 2012, 23:03
There is also Chris Gilham's dojo, the Ka Muso Kai. They practice Iaido, Kenjutsu, and Jodo. Went to a seminar there last year and met some great people! :D

Agreed. They are great people and dedicated martial artists.

josh