PDA

View Full Version : Iaido by De Lange

Aozora
29th December 2003, 19:10
Please forgive me if this has been covered already.

Has anyone read the book Iaido by William de Lange? It covers Shinkage-ryu iaido--I enjoyed it, but my background (such as it is) is in MJER. Is anyone here a practitioner who can give a good criticism of it?

If this has been covered as a thread here, please direct me to it.

Thanks!

DCPan
29th December 2003, 20:18
http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19110&highlight=shinkage+ryu

Aozora
30th December 2003, 14:57
Thank you, sir!

*embarassed silence at inability to use search function*

tddeangelo
31st December 2003, 02:07
This has caught my interest. I study a form of iaido derived from Shinkage Ryu, but apparently not this particular iaido/jutsu ryu.

Can anyone give some details from the book (a few names of kata/waza, for example)? Also, the linked thread had a link for the book on Amazon in the UK...any idea if it's up for grabs in the US?

It sounds interesting enough to warrant a purchase, but if anyone can give some more details, I'd be much indebted to you. I don't know exchange rates well, but it looks to be a fairly low-cost book (in relative terms).

Thanks in advance,

Brian Owens
31st December 2003, 04:42
Originally posted by tddeangelo
Can anyone give some details from the book (a few names of kata/waza, for example)? Also, the linked thread had a link for the book on Amazon in the UK...any idea if it's up for grabs in the US?
Curently availableat Kinokuniya Books in Seattle for $24.95

Amazon.com (ironically also based in Seattle) has it for only $17.47 + S&H.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0834805006/qid=1072848450/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-7210925-9336167?v=glance&s=books

Some of the waza demonstrated by Moriji sensei include Jun-nuki, Muko-no-katana, Sateki, Yoko-mi, Mune-no-katana...the list is rather extensive. More than 30 waza, both suwari-waza and tachi-waza, are shown.

Also there are chapters on the history of Shinto-ryu, Itto-ryu, and Shinkage-ryu; The principles of Duty, Fidelity, Spirit, etc.; "Family Tree" lineage charts of Shinto-ryu, Itto-ryu, and Shinkage-ryu; several maps showing places of importance to Japanese swordsmanship; etc.

On the down side there are no two-man kata shown, but overall the book has quite a lot of information.

I think it would make a worthy addition to your bookshelf.