PDA

View Full Version : Kusarigama (chain & sickle)

meat
31st December 2003, 01:51
I was wondering, is there anyone on these boards that practises or has been taught the kauri gama? If so, could you give us any insights into the weapon. How long does it take to become proficient, how hard is it to learn, how does it compare to other weapons offensively and defensively? Any other observations would also be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

don
31st December 2003, 07:00
Originally posted by meat
I was wondering, is there anyone on these boards that practises or has been taught the kauri gama? If so, could you give us any insights into the weapon. How long does it take to become proficient, how hard is it to learn, how does it compare to other weapons offensively and defensively? Any other observations would also be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Ellis Amdur is familiar with it and has some pretty strong opinions on it. I can't recall, though, if he's posted them here or if I read them in one of his books. Try a search. I'd highly recommend the books, btw.

Brian Stokes
31st December 2003, 14:53
Hi Don,

A kusarigama in the right hands is EXTREMELY deadly. I am familar with the kusarigama as taught in the Suio Ryu, referred to as Fukuhara-ha kusarigama-jutsu. I use the term "familiar" as I have faced Soke Katsuse wielding one of these beasties and I have no doubt that I would have been very dead in a real encounter. No matter where I moved or how I dodged just enough chain was let out for the fundo to find its way to my body (usually my head).

I must preface my comments by pointing out that there are a great many types of kusarigama. I have seen more than one demonstrated at the Budosai in Kyoto, and all seem to be pretty nasty if in the right hands. (Soke Katsuse also demonstrated it before the finals at the World Kendo Championships in Scotland.)

As to training, I cannot enlighten you on this subject. The Suio kusarigama is an advanced weapon and as of yet I have not been formerly introduced to it (other than on the receiving end). Hopefully I will be soon.

Wish I could be of more help!

Happy New Year to All,

Brian Stokes
Shinei Ni
Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo
www.suioryu-usa.org

ps - As an aside, Soke Katsuse will be in the US from March 20th to 28th, specifically in the Anaheim/Disneyland area. I am sure he will be swinging a kusarigama around if you would like to watch (or participate).

Soulend
31st December 2003, 15:20
Originally posted by don
Ellis Amdur is familiar with it and has some pretty strong opinions on it. I can't recall, though, if he's posted them here or if I read them in one of his books. Try a search. I'd highly recommend the books, btw.

Mr. Amdur's 'Old School' has some very interesting chapters on it - everything from the various types and evolution to it's actual use. Great book.