PDA

View Full Version : Taiho Jutsu Org. in Japan and USA ?

Barry Southam
1st January 2004, 17:55
Friends,

If this topic has been discussed at length and I have overlooked it. Then please disregard this message.
In Japan, is the study of Taiho Jutsu only associated with the Police or taught as part of a specific martial art system such as various Jujutsu, Aikido, karate systems,etc.,etc., ? Has it developed into its own system and organizational structure in Japan ?
Can anyone share information on schools or organizations in Japan concerning" Taiho Jutsu" ?
Do any USA Taiho Jutsu organizations MIRROR what is taught is Japan or affiliate themselves with Japanese based Taiho Jutsu organizations ?

Thank you all for any information..

Happy New Year

Barry E. Southam

MarkF
2nd January 2004, 19:15
Hey, Barry,
Here is a link to the British Taiho jutsu organization with info from around the world. This site does, at last look, cover many countries in Europe and should have links to other taiho jutsu associations around the world.

It is indeed, organized, using mainly Kodokan Judo and shodokan aikido principles in its randori and shiai.

It isn't specifically tied to Japan (I don't think) or the US, but it may be helpful to you.

If anything, it is interesting stuff.

Try the Research forum for a post about Taiho-jutsu by the late Tim Burton, as well as posts and threads in the judo and aikido fora here. Try individual forum searches and site search. Much has probably been deleted, but some are still there.

Hope this helps some.

Edit in: I forgot the link.:o www.taiho-jutsu.eu.org

Mark

MarkF
2nd January 2004, 19:23
Here is the history page on tai-ho jutsu:

http://www.taiho-jutsu.eu.org/about.htm

Mark

Robert Carver
2nd January 2004, 20:01
Barry:

The USJJF currently has a Taihojutsu program. It is not connected to any organization in Japan. Unlike some of the other organizations here in the US, it has actually been POST certified in two States (Nevada and Colorado)! Rick Dunn and the other LEOs on the committee are working to get the program certified in more States. Considering this is has only been around a couple of years in its current form, that is not a bad start.

For more information, check out http://www.usjujitsu.net/info/us_taiho_jutsu.htm

Barry Southam
3rd January 2004, 04:00
Mark and Robert,

Thanks for the information..Both sites were very interesting. I think all instructors would benefit from some "quality Taiho Jutsu training"...Being able to adequately incorporate each respective martial into a program that would benefit all who are under restraints in the use of force would be useful..I'm sure we all can soften our arts in order not to inflict injury when needed...Dealing with specific police issues is another story in gun retention, handcuffing,etc.,etc.,..If we can learn Taiho Jutsu then we broaden our base of who we can service and ultimately bring more into our respective arts...
Thanks again for the info.,.. Would I be safe in assuming that the USJJF Taiho Jutsu program is the only nationally organized Taiho Jutsu program in the USA outside of police training academies ?
I know Palumbo Shihan of the Hakkoryu Jujutsu Federation has a program that he teaches to the Denver Sheriff's dept.,.

Take Care

Barry E. Southam

Robert Carver
3rd January 2004, 06:28
Barry:

As far as I know, the USJJF program is the only organized program in the US, or at least it is the only one with any credentials (like POST) to speak of. The USA Karate Federation had a program called PSDI (Police Self Defense Instructor) in the past, but I do not believe it is currently active. There is another Taihojutsu organization in the US, but I do not believe that have achieved any sort of recognition from the police certification agencies.

I know of a number of instructors in the US that offer instruction to the various police academies. However, I am not aware of any that have POST certified instruction. Many of the instructors are police officers that are certified POST instructors, but they are pretty much freelancing and are not part of an organized program. BTW, Dennis Palumbo is really excellent, and I have had the pleasure of him inflicting pain on me many times. So if you get the opportunity to train with him, do it!

MarkF
3rd January 2004, 12:16
Hi, Barry, Robert,

I mention the British and European program due to its former status as the former arrest and control organizations the London and/or England police departments.

Knowing Barry's interest in this area and his specialty of judo the martial art, I figured you could get some quality instruction. In case you didn't noice, there is a forum there and you also could post your questions there.

As far as E-budo is concerned, the person you want to contact would be Stephen Sweetlove, a police officer in the UK who is instrumental in saving this eclectic. but effective system, at least it had been proven in the past to be effective for use as the official H2H and arrest system in England.

Stephen you can find using a member search, or you can probably finda few other threads in the judo form about it.

I am pretty sure he has a SMTP email address with which to contact him, and if you have trouble with it, PMs may be available.

If not (I've had problems in the past using his listed email, I do have another address which is more direct, but he wishes it to remain unknown to those he does't know due to his standing in the police department. I can write him with your email if you wish and ask him to contact you. He actually had tried to get me to come there to observe the BTJ organization and to bring students to compete. The art seems to becoming more and more popular and is slowly growing. An establishe school in the US would definitely be adding something ranther new to what is available, so you may wish to avail one's self of this information. It would be especially useful as a weapon and tactics martial art.

But I've tried to contact you over the last year, Barry, but your email seems to be "over quota" in the mail program you are using, so there.:redhot:

I don't know much about the program in the USJJF and the Tomiki style shiai is some what similar to the BTHJO, both utilizing weapons in randori ands shai.

Anyway, give Stephen a chance to discuss it with you. Nice guy overall so contact him for more personal.

Anyway, forgive my repetitions and poor typing as I can barely keep mu eyes open. I need some quality sleesp, I would think.:o

I am certain there is a goal to have their system start up her in the US. Either or both of you may be...ahh forget it, I can't see amymore and am haing trouble

Mark

Robert Carver
3rd January 2004, 14:33
Originally posted by MarkF
I don't know much about the program in the USJJF and the Tomiki style shiai is some what similar to the BTHJO, both utilizing weapons in randori ands shai.

Mark:

What randori/shiai? Where did you read this in the link I posted above? It was my impression that the USJJF Taihojutsu program was taught by means of kata like practice and not randori or shiai.

Hissho
3rd January 2004, 15:22
Barry:

Here are a couple links to check out:

http://hometown.aol.com/pigpins/Arrestling.html

West coast based and strictly law enforcement only, except for the security training they hold. There is a profile of the system and its originator in the Jan '04 Taekwondo Times.

http://www.isrmatrix.org/home.shtml

These guys are based in Florida and the Midwest, but come out West as well. NOT limited to LE only, IIRC.

Both these methods are heavily based on force on force training, which is pretty much the state of the art in LE DT training today.

Not sure if either is POST or equivalently certified, but such an administrative endorsement does not necessarily reflect street applicability or effectiveness.

Kit Leblanc

MarkF
4th January 2004, 11:13
Robert,
You're never going to cut me any slack, are you.

It says what it says. I don't know much about the USJJF program, the rest was concerning the shiai/randori in the British Taiho jutsu association. I believe you mentioned a type of "arrest and defense" or taihojutsu as part of the USJJF, possibly a member dojo, I simply stated I don't know much (if anything) about it.

Geez!

Mark

Robert Carver
4th January 2004, 14:22
Mark:

Sorry but since the two were mentioned in the same sentence, I thought you were referring to both organizations with regard to the randori/shiai thing. You just totally threw me a curve mentioning it that way. Also, the Taihojutsu thing is an official national program, and not just a member dojo thing. It is just really getting kicked off, but we at least have the right people in place to make it grow.

JAMJTX
22nd January 2004, 21:35
In Japan, Taihojutsu is a Police Departmment program. There are no Taihojutsu schools around as there are here in the U.S. There is also no ranking system for Taihojutsu.
The officers learn Aikido (usually Yoshinkan) and Judo, keibo and other weapons and various Jujitsu techniques for controlling and arresting. The program is also updated as needed.
Although many people are now claiming to hold rank in taihojutsu here in the U.S., it is based on a ranking system created by themselves, as they could not have gotten it from any Japanese Police organization. They may be skilled in Jujitsu, Aikido or Judo and maybe have legit claim to ranks in those arts. But rank in taihjutsu would have been thier own creation and promotion.

Fujimoto
5th February 2004, 06:42
Hello, Friends

I was interested in Taiho Jutsu and so I asked a policeman if I could join the match.
He said ?g No. Only policemen can join it.
Taihojutsu can be learnt only by Japanese policemen
There is no Taiho Jutsu Dojo for ordinal people in Japan.

Taihojutsu was found during GHQ governance after WW2 when all the Japanese martial arts were prohibited. It was mixed by many traditional Japanese martial arts such as judo, aikido, karate, kendo, and so on. And you may don?ft know, but the technique of Nippon Kenpo was also mixed. So the protectors of Taiho Jutsu are so similar to those of Nippon Kenpo.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Dome/4383/index.html